Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

on October 18, 2009
I spent a lot of time trying to find the best USB microphone and this is it.

I wanted a microphone primarily for Skype and other VOIP calls and net meetings, as well to be able to record certain meetings. I have the Logitech WebCam Pro 9000, which is a great webcam but in my opinion not a great microphone.

I wanted a USB microphone that would minimize the "echo effect" as well as the "scratch effect" certain net meetings would produce. The "echo effect" is pretty much what it sounds like and is most prominent when someones speakers are turned up too high, and the "scratch effect" is when the volume of your voice is too high for the microphone and it creates a scratching noise on the other end (sometimes happens in Skype). Given this microphone is a "condenser" I must say it has helped out dramatically.

I have this microphone in a conference room as well as my office, and it really does a good job at producing incredibly clear tone consistent sounds; it works well at picking up the quiet sounds as well as reducing the louder sounds.

The dimensions of this microphone are a little off as it's a little smaller than this page says. The dimensions are 4 x 3.25 x 1.1 inches. The microphone is obviously very easy to place.

This microphone comes with a 10 foot USB mini B cable (the 5 pin cable which is the same cable that plugs into most Blackberries) and you can easily replace it with a shorter or longer cable.

As for other microphones the closest contender i was able to find was the "MXL MXLAC404 High Quality USB Conference Room Microphone" which also looked like a very good microphone but i could not tell if the USB cable was replaceable, and it seemed a little big. I also have been using the "Logitech USB Desktop Microphone" which works well for the price (which is $20); I would say it is a good microphone for only one person that will be sitting at their desk talking and they don't mind having it right in front of them when they use it.
0Comment33 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2010
We had a baby shower in Kansas City for our daughter in law who lives in Los Angeles. We called it a "cyber shower" in the invitation. She is in the 8th month of her pregnancy and didn't want to travel back. We hooked up the laptop to the Big Screen TV and both parties hooked up on [...] and it worked perfectly. We even both served the same food. It was almost like they were in the room. The gifts were sent to LA and she opened them for everyone while we watched and talked. I decided in advance to purchase this add-on mic because I felt the small one on the laptop would not be sufficient with a crowd talking all at once. The party in LA also had 2 additional showers with other relatives, 1 in NY and 1 in Lima, Peru. They said ours was the best because we were the only party with the added mic. They could not hear the other two parties very well as people were talking over each other. It was a great $65 investment and we will use it everytime we call. And it was delivered to the door without a glitch and free shipping. Could not have been more pleased.
on January 2, 2011
Believe it or not, I use this mic for recording music, and the sound quality is exceptional. It picks up an acoustic guitar accompanied by vocals beautifully. The backside has holes to slip over screws for mounting on a wall, which is how I use the mic. I have the mic mounted at mouth height, and to control how the volume of the guitar mixes with the vocals I step closer to the mic for more vocal volume, farther away for more guitar. My ears can detect no flaw in the audio through a very nice sound card and set of speakers, to me everything I record sounds like CD quality. The program I use to record is audacity.

The bad reviews on this mic that I've read are all about its performance with voice activation being too sensitive. In my opinion this mic is not suited for use with voice activation. It is meant to pick up sound from far away and in all directions, making voice activation go on with a pin drop in the other room. That is surely not a negative for any other use. It picks up all audio that can be heard in the room it's located in, and it does so very cleanly. I could not have recorded myself singing, playing guitar, and using a stomp box all at the same time half as well without a 3 mic setup and several hundred dollars more invested.

Best $70 I ever spent.
22 comments5 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2011
We use this microphone for doing Skype based conference calls. One microphone does a very good job of covering our large conference room. The feedback from the people on the other end has always been good. We have purchased 5 or 6 of these. I highly recommend them.
on December 29, 2012
I tried this both in Linux (using drivers built-in to the Kernel) and Windows (using the provided drivers).

In Linux I was able to adjust the settings so I could get clear sound quality from everyone (7 people) in a 20' x 12' room. It wasn't nearly as flexible I've had issues with other 'conference microphones' where voices would get horribly scrambled and people on the remote end couldn't make anyone out if there was more than one person talking at a time. This generally isn't an ideal situation anyways but the remote people reported they could make out two or three conversations at a time and generally complained less about the quality (definitely a good sign with these folks).

The Windows software wasn't as flexible as Linux and was quite a bit quieter, we had to cluster everyone around the Microphone fairly closely for the remote end to hear everybody. This isn't a problem for me as our conferencing system is based around Linux but may be good for other people reading this to know.

The build quality is great with the top being made out of a rigid metal mesh, the bottom has a rubberish plastic that keeps it from moving around which is also helped by it's heft. This is definitely solid and I'd recommend it.
on February 15, 2013
I'm a former audio engineer, so I know a thing or two about microphones and audio quality.

I purchased this mic as a smaller and simpler alternative to lugging around a USB mic preamp and separate mic for location recording of interviews on my laptop.

Overall I'm impressed - the sound quality is very good, the mic is small and unobtrusive. I was able to get it running without much on my mac under Mac OS and under Windows via Parallels. Windows required a few extra steps to recognize it, but hey - it's Windows so there's rarely such a thing as true plug & play.

The blinking blue LED is a laughably bad design choice - in all my years of recording I've never seen a microphone manufacturer deem it necessary to add a blinking LED to a microphone. Seriously, I want to smack the person responsible for this decision. However, as others have noted it's easy to overcome this by sticking a little gaffers tape or electrical tape on the LED.

Bottom line: very good sound quality in a small package, USB powered, and easy to use.
on June 13, 2012
Great microphone. Has wonderful pickup, long usb cord, easy to plug and play. Turned our conference room into a real conference room.

Huge recommendation for those of you who want to use skype / goto meeting or other web / computer conferencing in an office without installing a traditional phone system.
on June 17, 2010
I bought this to use for my home automation with voice command. Doesn't work very well for voice recognition because the unit cuts off the first second of the audio. Seems like it take a second for the unit to kick on when it detects audio.
on March 26, 2012
I have this mic and the MXL. The MXL picks up much better. It does work as advertised.
66 comments3 of 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 5, 2011
Simply put, the audio quality of this versus my Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 are almost indistinguishable. Additionally, my voice (2-4 feet away) did not compare to the high amplitude of the background noise it picked up (HVAC vents, people downstairs, my mouse clicking). I was expecting more.

I can see how this would be useful for conferences specifically, though, because it does pick up the smallest noises around the room. But then again, so does my webcam.
22 comments4 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse