4.0 out of 5 stars Versatility & impressive Image Stabilization
Published on November 21, 2007 by Scott Broughton

1.0 out of 5 stars have a backup or don't buy it
Published on June 29, 2011 by Michael Everett

4.0 out of 5 stars Versatility & impressive Image Stabilization, November 21, 2007
Scott Broughton (Massachusetts USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: L2)CANON EF-S 17-85MM F/4-5.6 IS USM (Accessory)
I have owned this lens for a year. It has amazed me that coupled with instant ISO changes, I can take virtually any photo in natural light without flash. IS is the true beauty of the lens. I recently traveled to the south pacific and there discovered that I am able to take photos after dusk at sub 1/40th sec. exposures with absolutely no blurring. The results are stunning. Optically it is not the best lens I own, but this IS the workhorse lens for my EOS XTi. Once you experience the superior IS there is simply no going back to std lenses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes a good photographer better, July 5, 2008
This review is from: L2)CANON EF-S 17-85MM F/4-5.6 IS USM (Accessory)
Wanting to have a light kit for four months on the (rail)roads in Europe, I acquired a Canon XTi, 10-22mm zoom, the 17-85 IS zoom and 70-300 USM III IS zoom. I got them all in the six months before going and tested them thoroughly in my typical shooting of flowers, scenery, animals and grandkids.

On the trip I was surprised at how tough the little XTi was--and how good the sensor. Another surprise was the fact that the 17-85mm was used virtually all the time. The wide zoom was used for about ten percent of the 8600 images I shot and the 70-300 very rarely. If I were to go on another such journey, I would not hesitate to use the 17-85mm IS lens on an APS-sensor Canon as my only lens--it proved to be that good. I might add a polarising filter for reducing reflections and a walking stick and small beanbag for those places where monopods are not welcomed.

The photos have proved stunning, whether macro, panoramic scenes or street scenes. The European Union has passed some rather stringent rules protecting a person's rights to their own image, so you have to be careful not to do closeups of individuals without permission or you will be explaining very quickly that you are not shooting for commercial purposes.

I've seen many comparisons where this lens is not rated as highly as the L glass, but even in this computer-crafted technology, there are individual lenses that rise above the standard or sink below it. Perhaps I've always been lucky, because I've never been disappointed by Canon.

4.0 out of 5 stars All-purpose lens, September 18, 2008
This review is from: L2)CANON EF-S 17-85MM F/4-5.6 IS USM (Accessory)
This is an ideal all-around lens. 85mm is great for portraits while 17mm creates a beautiful wide angle shot. The f-stop bottoms out at 4-5.6 but the IS makes up for this. For the money, this is a great lens for 1.6 crop cameras.

I give the lens 4 stars because there is some CA at 17mm, but depending on the subject its hardly ever noticed. In fact, I love using this lens at 17mm, at that zoom, you can get much more creative aw-inspiring images.

4.0 out of 5 stars great lens, March 22, 2010
T. F. Spriggs (Old Saybrook, CT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: L2)CANON EF-S 17-85MM F/4-5.6 IS USM (Accessory)
The Canon 17-85 lens is now my favorite walk-around lens. It has the flexibility for all the field requirements that I need when out in the wilderness. I can take the overall wide angle shot and then get right in there for the close-up, detail shot. I was recently out shooting wildflowers in Anza-Borrego and this was the perfect lens. I never had to switch lenses for any shot. I wish I had this lens back in '05 for the great wildflower season! I almost fee the macro is unnecessary because I can get in extremely close and seatill keep the focus I need. For the price, you can't beat it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend, March 25, 2008
This review is from: L2)CANON EF-S 17-85MM F/4-5.6 IS USM (Accessory)
I recently purchased this lens as a complement to the other two IS lenses I have. The Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras and the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras.

The IS function allows a 2 to 3 stop slower shutter speed. Fantastic when shooting where flash is not allowed or where you want the extra depth of field a smaller aperature will give you.

As a bonus it has Macro capabilities.

See my images under user images...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great everyday lens, October 27, 2008
Steve Reinheimer (Syracuse, NY, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: L2)CANON EF-S 17-85MM F/4-5.6 IS USM (Accessory)
This lens is great. It's the only lens I use. The only problem is that it's so easy to use and takes such great photos, that I'm thinking of spending more money and getting a faster lens. This doesn't take away from the versatility of this lens, just that I'm getting more excited about photography and will move to the next level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon Lens, November 3, 2011
Franklin D. Perry (Fall River, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: L2)CANON EF-S 17-85MM F/4-5.6 IS USM (Accessory)
Best all around lens I have ever bought. It was worth the wate and the nice part I use on both my cameras, my Canon 50-D and my Rebel. Very good in low light. Just enough zoom, and great for close-ups.

Frank Perry
Fall River,Ma.

1.0 out of 5 stars have a backup or don't buy it, June 29, 2011
This review is from: L2)CANON EF-S 17-85MM F/4-5.6 IS USM (Accessory)
This is a great lens, but it let me down at the worst possible moment. After 40 years of using Canons, I can never totally trust this lens, or Canon cameras. I got an error message saying the camera was not communicating with the lens and I needed to clean the contacts on the lens which I did several times without success. Then I swapped out the battery, turned off auto focus and image stabilizer, pulled the chip and put it back in, etc. All I got was a black screen and the error message. Then I pulled the lens from my 60D and mounted it on my 30D and still the same. Here I am on a road trip for my book a thousand miles from home and after a year of planning. Is this just an anomaly? No. My daughter had the same lens it and it failed her too. Like I said, if you're in this position, you need a backup lens and a backup body. I don't know what's going on with Canon, but either workmanship or engineering is in decline. I bought a 60D in April and the flash refused to pop up within a couple of weeks of purchase which Canon fixed under warranty. And by the way they won't pay for shipping. It cost me $33 for shipping and insuring to send it 40 miles to the West Coast service center. Today I'm driving down to Redding, CA to pick out a Tamron lens which is just what my daughter did. I'll get a repair estimate from Canon which I expect will be at least $180. If it's too high, the lens goes in the dumpster. Good luck.

L2)CANON EF-S 17-85MM F/4-5.6 IS USM