4.0 out of 5 stars Good but needs help for Insanity
I did Insanity inside for a while, but I got tired of moving furniture (actually my wife did) so I started working out in the garage. It has epoxy paint over the concrete floor - so very hard and slippery. This product sounded good for padding and grip, and at a reasonable price.
Published on August 29, 2012 by Bob P.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mats vary in length / thickness
Published on April 23, 2012 by Konnoisseur

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but needs help for Insanity, August 29, 2012
Bob P. (Newport Coast, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CAP Barbell Puzzle Mat (6 piece) (Sports)
I ordered 5 packs to have enough for a 10' x 10' area to have enough room for a few of us to work out. There are enough leftovers so that I can expand it to 10' x 12' later.

The colors of the different packages did not all match. It wasn't horrible, but definitely noticeable. Pix coming later. Also it seemed that the like-color pieces fit together the best. There were plenty of edge and corner pieces. To get enough "middle edge" pieces, you have to trim some other edge pieces with a scissors, but it's not hard at all. There is a little plastic smell but it's not that noticeable, and it's going away.

We did insanity once.
Good news: the surface was really grippy and we didn't slip at all. This was a nice change - I'm used to slipping quite a bit. (OK, I sweat a lot).
Bad news: the tiles came apart in three places. After the workout, we flipped the mat over and taped every seam with 3M Scotch Pro Strength Duct Tape, 1.88-Inch by 60-Yard, 1-Pack (1260). And of course flipped it right-side up.

We did insanity again.
The problem was fixed - the pieces did not come apart at all. But now we noticed that the whole mat was sliding. So we anchored it with Intertape 9970 Indoor Carpet Tape 1.87-Inches x 36-Yards. A full-width stripe every 2 feet or so, and all around the edges just inside the border piece (so it anchored the 2' x 2' tile).

Insanity again, and it's working great.
I'd recommend it highly, as long as you get the two tapes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Mats, January 5, 2012
This review is from: CAP Barbell Puzzle Mat (6 piece) (Sports)
I read another review on here that said I wouldn't have enough edge pieces to assemble multiple mat packages into bigger mat. Not the case. I bought 2 packages and had all the edge pieces I needed to assemble them in a 4X3 configuration measuring 8'x6' and frame it so there were no jagged edges (even had a bunch of edge pieces left over.) The mat has good cushion and my toes don't slip when I do push-ups. Good color uniformity across the tiles. Very pleased. I spent $50 for 2 packages, you can't beat that. I saw some reviewers for other mats recommending not buying on Amazon and instead spending about $300 dollars to get specialty mats on some other rubber mat website, [...] If you follow that advice, I think you will overpay by several hundred dollars. These mats will do well for P90x, Insanity, or whatever workout needs you have, and for much less money. Highly recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mats vary in length / thickness, April 23, 2012
This review is from: CAP Barbell Puzzle Mat (6 piece) (Sports)
I purchased three of these puzzle mats, one of the three, after assembly, is 1 3/4" shorter in length than the other two, it is also slightly thinner. Looks like the manufacturer downgraded their newer lots? As a result, the smaller mat will not interconnect with the other two. Specifically, two of the mats measure 74 1/4" after assembly in length the other 72 1/2" after assembly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great results after a month of P90x, November 22, 2011
J. West (Wilmington, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CAP Barbell Puzzle Mat (6 piece) (Sports)
I use this for P90x in my concrete garage. So far, it has held up well after a month or so of use. For reference, I work out on it, doing warmups and Plyometrics, yoga, etc, 3-4 times a week and I weight about 200 lbs. Definitely reduces the stress on my knees.

4.0 out of 5 stars CAP puzzle mat, January 29, 2011
Amy Meechan (Bothell, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CAP Barbell Puzzle Mat (6 piece) (Sports)
I bought this to protect my carpet in an indoor workout area and to provide more cushion for my legs as I was getting shinsplints from a workout that included lots of jumping. Bought 2 packages of 6 ea. that make up a 6'x8' area. I bought 1/2" as 3/8" seemed kind of thin and others mentioned that 3/4" becomes too soft and unstable. I imagine if you're doing any high impact/martial arts/plyometric/zumba type workout this product would be worthwhile.

Works well other than it gradually slides across the room (it's on carpet) if the edge isn't butting up against something and as others have mentioned if you're doing a "downward dog" type calf stretch your feet tend to slip back a little on this surface so I put my feet off the edge of the mat for this stretch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Your Cat Will Love It, June 26, 2012
This review is from: CAP Barbell Puzzle Mat (6 piece) (Sports)
I got these to protect my wood floor from the wear and tear of my home gym.

Have you seen the slash marks that Wolverine leaves behind. Leave your cat alone with this for a day and you'll think you've stepped into a comic book. Slashes, pieces of foam everywhere, they love these mats.

If you don't have cats, these mats are worth the money. If you have cats...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Purchase, October 24, 2011
This review is from: CAP Barbell Puzzle Mat (6 piece) (Sports)
These mats are a great addition to my workout area! I was worried they'd slip apart since I do high impact and high interval training workouts and they don't budge! I'm very happy with this purchase and the price is great!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice mat, December 21, 2011
This review is from: CAP Barbell Puzzle Mat (6 piece) (Sports)
Nice mats but could use a couple more center edge pieces if you're going to put them together as a larger mat. Plenty of corner edges though so you can fabricate your own edges if you need to.

2.0 out of 5 stars They are not BLACK and don't match, September 24, 2012
This review is from: CAP Barbell Puzzle Mat (6 piece) (Sports)
I'm not sure if I am the only one who thought these were black based on the picture, but they are not black. They are grey and it is kind of a washed out grey. Not light grey but it just looks washed out. I don't know how to explain it other than that. I bought 3 sets and they shipped extremely fast. I have not put them to any tests yet but hope they hold up. I honestly expected them to feel more rubbery and heavier and not so much like the fun foam used in kids crafting. Once again that was probably just me so I'm not docking any stars for that.

1 star for fast shipping
1 star for being inexpensive
1 start for expecting them to work

Edit : took off another star since they don't match either ! I'll be uploading a picture .

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Mat for the Price, June 26, 2012
This review is from: CAP Barbell Puzzle Mat (6 piece) (Sports)
I don't often write reviews but, after reading many of the average reviews for these mats, I was left mystified. I have gone through several exercise mats in my fitness "career" and CAP's Barbell Puzzle Mat easily has the best quality-to-price ratio that I have encountered.

Compared to many of the other mats that I've purchased (which were honestly little more than thin pads of rubber), this mat actually feels like it was designed for heavy duty exercise. The foam is half an inch thick so you don't have to worry about heavy weights damaging your floor through the mat.

For instance, I recently decided to repaint my basement walls and had to go about moving my equipment which includes a 700 lb weight set. Out of curiosity, I removed the mats which have been down for approximately six months.

I would never have known that 700 lbs worth of weights had been resting on that spot--the carpet looks as good as when I bought the house. It's not matted down and frayed and there aren't any divots in the floor (as used to occur with the other mats I'd had the misfortune of buying). If the woman would agree, I'd lay these things all over the house to save the carpeting!

In all seriousness, I shopped around extensively and mats like this at a home goods store or your local exercise store would cost about double what you pay for them here on Amazon. You'd be hard pressed to find comparable mats for less than $40 a set. With these, I covered my entire basement's workout area for less than $100. It is a tremendous value.

And in response to other reviewers' complaints that these mats won't withstand "dropping heavy weights," with all due respect, you shouldn't be dropping heavy weights at all. There isn't a gym on the planet where that is an acceptable practice. So, if professional lifting facilities outfitted with industrial grade flooring insist that weights be lowered carefully to prevent destruction of property and/or injury, why in the world would you think that dropping weights in your own home is a great idea?

Quick tip: lowering the weight is just as important as lifting it; so if you can't set it down, you're probably going too heavy. It isn't CAP's fault if you exhibit faulty judgment.

Now before I sound like a CAP apologist, I will add that the mats aren't as viscous as I would prefer. When you find yourself sweating profusely, and step onto a wet spot on the mat, the mat's ridges don't grip your shoes as well as you would think. Don't get me wrong; I haven't come close to falling while lifting or jumping but the mat isn't quite as tacky as I expect. That's what towels are for I suppose.

In summation:

PROS: Solid, heavy-duty construction
Half an inch thick so your floors are well protected even from heavy weight
Have ridges to catch your training shoes to minimize slipping
Awesome price!

CONS: Not the most slip-resistant mat on the market
Has a strong, rubbery smell that persists for a few days after opening.

In short, these mats are a good value and I strongly recommend them if you don't feel like paying two to three times as much for comparable mats.

CAP Barbell Puzzle Mat (6 piece)
$34.99 $28.78
In stock. Usually ships within 3 to 4 days.