5.0 out of 5 stars Love watch - Here's how to get English manual & adjust band!, July 24, 2013
This review is from: CASIO watch WAVECEPTOR Waveceptor solar radio watch MULTIBAND6 WVA-M630D-1AJF (Watch)
I got my watch yesterday and so far I love it! I plan to post this review under several of the "Casio Wave Scepter Tough Solar Radio-Controlled Watch Multiband" watches because YOU NEED THIS INFO TO GET AN ENGLISH LANGUAGE MANUAL!!! These watches are all pretty much the same - just different style faces, which is really nice choice wise! There are not many reviews yet (7/24/2013) so I wanted to get this info out.

First, the watch comes with a Japanese Manual ONLY. However, this is not a problem. Just look at your watch back for the 4-digit start to the model number, which on my watch has a box around it. The same number will also be printed on the front of the Japanese manual. Use the link below [THANK YOU RICHARD H. MARTIN for your 6/29/13 review & Link info.!] but just substitute your watch's four-digit number for the one I used(mine was 4709). Be sure to leave everything else the same. You will need Adobe Reader on your computer, which is a free download from Adobe.com (almost everybody will already have this on their computer). The manual will be downloaded for you to print out at home (5 pages). You should also save a copy on your computer for future reference. The manual for my watch is written in very good English so it is very easy to understand! It prints in small letters, though, so have a magnifying glass handy :-)

Here is the link: [...]

Second, the watchband. Gone are the days of taking the watch to a jeweler to have the band adjusted! Gone is the hassle of trying to remove tiny pins to adjust it yourself! Tucked into the Japanese manual will be a separate slip of paper with directions for adjusting the band. They are in Japanese. I could not find an English language copy anywhere. Here is what you need to do:

1. This is the most important step, and the one that caused me the most trouble: Get over the idea of having to remove links! You will NOT be removing any. No pins or tools at all will be required. It is so easy that, if you haven't adjusted one of these new bands, you will be astonished.

2. Look at the pictures and forget the Japanese writing. Ignore the picture at the very top of the page, since it just shows you the overall operation of the catch. Look at the three pictures in the middle of the page. The first shows you how to open the locking tabs to open the catch of your watchband. The second (middle) picture is the important one. You fold the first section of the catch back in the direction of the arrow. This unlocks the band and allows it to slide in or out of the locking mechanism to lengthen or tighten the band respectively. NOTE THE ENLARGED PICTURE below that shows you how to sight through the little square hole on the locking mechanism. You want to line up the space BETWEEN TWO LINKS before folding down and locking the band to its new length. (I think having the crack between two links visible through the square hole assures that the catch can properly lock between links when folded back down.) Now fold the band back down to its normal position.

3. That's it. The extra links remain under the watchband. At first I thought I was going to hate having them there and that the extra lengths were going to make the band uncomfortable. I looked for ways to remove them, but there are no pins so I don't see any way to remove them! Then I tried it and thought "well, this is NOT going to work...". So far, however, I have found that I don't feel them at all. Some people may be bothered but so far I am surprised that I am not. The good news is that the band looks like it would be easy to replace with a more traditional metal watchband if you wish. I would suggest that you give it a chance first.

4. The good news: Since those links remain there, it means that if you gain or lose weight you can adjust the size of the band in seconds. If you are working outside and your arm swells a bit and the band is uncomfortable, just quickly adjust it a link larger. When you cool off in the air conditioning, slip off the watch and tighten it again. VERY nice!

Third - reception for the Wave Scepter feature. (Actually, on the back of the watch it is spelled "Wave Ceptor".) The first step is to set the watch to the correct time region. The process is easy and clearly set out in the English version of the manual. In the U.S. the transmitter is in Colorado. I got a signal just fine here in South Western Ohio. I will be traveling to Virginia soon but we have other "atomic clocks" in Virginia that get a signal from Colorado just fine, so I do not think there will be any problem there either.

I was a little disappointed because I thought the digital display would be larger. However, the numbers on the display are quite clear and easy to read. I've decided that I like it. The watch does not have a countdown timer, but it does have a stopwatch, alarm, dual time zone, and LED light that lights the digital display only. MY model (4709) does not have an analogue second hand, but seconds are displayed in the digital display. You can quickly and easily cycle the digital display between time, day/date, and month/date. You also use the digital display to check/set watch functions. The digital display can show the status of the last time signal and will tell you the date and time of the last successful time sync.

All and all a very nice watch - thin, light, and very nice looking. Highly recommended!
Slacker Sonny
7/24/2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive watch, excellent purchasing experience, June 29, 2013
About ten years ago, killing time in a mall while my wife was shopping, I wandered by a kiosk that was displaying what must have been one of Casio's first solar powered atomic wrist watches, a huge, clunky, black-anodized G-Shock digital sport watch that weighed a ton (actually about 220 grams) and at 17 millimeters was so thick that I had a hard time buttoning my shirt sleeve over it. But I was so enthralled by the thought that the owner of such a technological wonder would always possess the correct time down to the millisecond, never have to set it and never have to replace the battery that, after lusting for the thing for a while, before my wife could show up and try to return me to my senses I lucked into making one of the best purchases of my life. I have a gold watch for dress-up occasions, but since then I have worn that ugly black monstrosity nearly full time and have loved telling everyone who asked the exact time, winning all debates about whose watch was more accurate, and describing how it automatically "calls home" every night to synchronize itself with the atomic clocks in Fort Collins.

But that was a long time ago, most of the technologic novelty has worn off (as has much of the anodizing), and, although it still works perfectly and has never required service, it became time to replace the old monster with a watch that would still have those gee-whiz features but was slimmer, lighter, and a lot better looking. My good experience with Casio mandated that brand again, and I initially homed in on the new Casio WVA-M490D-2A because of its relatively slim case (10 mm), relatively light weight, and good looks. But it proved to be unavailable from Amazon or any other proven merchant. And all the other similar Waveceptors available directly from Amazon or other American sources, such as WVA-470D- and 430DJ-, were thicker (~14 mm) and heavier than I wanted. So, after waiting several months to see if the 490D would resurface and after researching the track record of the Amazon Seller, Japanese merchant Alexcious which rates 4.9 out of 5 stars, I decided to take another gamble (like I had when I bought that strange black watch at that kiosk a decade ago) and order a WVA-M630D from Japan.

Things got off to a slightly ominous start, with Amazon's confirmation email stating that the estimated delivery date would be four to seven weeks later, and an email from Alexcious which, in addition to "offer[ing] warm greetings from Japan and a big thank you for shopping at Alexcious," announced that "while perfectly useable abroad, [items they sell] are designed for the Japanese domestic market," and that the supplied instruction manual was written in Japanese "...though some are available in English." Oh well, most manuals these days are written in geek-speak and the print is too tiny to read anyway.

But subsequent to those emails everything has exceeded my expectations. My watch was delivered not four or more weeks but four DAYS after I placed the order. It was in pristine condition, with all the original packaging and protective wrapping, and exactly as pictured and described on the Amazon website (I had been apprehensive that, because of the plethora of very similar model numbers, the byzantine system Casio uses to assign those numbers and the number of intermediaries involved in the order, I would receive a different model). It is gorgeous. At 11 mm it is nearly as thin as the unavailable M490D (I'll be able to button my sleeves!). And it took only a little Googling to locate the English version of the instruction manual on a Japanese Casio website.

You need Operation Guide 5161, which you can download from [...] It is clearly written (by someone whose first language seems to be English rather than Japanese or computer jargon), has lots of helpful illustrations, and is a PDF which, at 1.5x magnification, is beautifully legible. Using it, even without my prior Waveceptor "training" I would have had no trouble programming the watch (one step of which involved telling it to communicate in English rather than Kanji characters). My new watch dutifully talked to Fort Collins last night and has adjusted to its new home in Missouri much faster than I adapted when I visited Japan.

Indeed, there has been only one glitch. That downloaded Operation Guide contained no clue about how to adjust the watch band -- which turns out to be very easy, once you learn the simple method of unlatching the adjustment clasp, but it remained a mystery until I discovered a small piece of paper, folded and tucked among the pages of the tiny Japanese manual that accompanied the watch. Although it, too, uses Kanji characters, its diagrams are all you'll need to unlock that secret. Do not, like I did, Google how to adjust Casio wristbands. You'll find dozens of scary YouTube videos and other well-intentioned attempts to teach you how to handle the really tricky task of removing links from older models. Ah, but preparing to tackle that challenge was even part of the fun of this whole delightful experience.

Note: This review refers specifically to the Casio Waveceptor WVA-M630D-1AJF that I purchased through Amazon which is sold and shipped by Alexcious in Japan, but I'm confident that it would apply to the Casio Wave Ceptor Tough Solar MULTIBAND6 Men's Watch WVA-M630D-1A3JF (Japan Import), CASIO watch WAVE CEPTOR Waveceptor tough solar radio watch MULTIBAND 6 WVA-M600D-9AJF men's watch and CASIO watch WAVE CEPTOR Waveceptor tough solar radio watch MULTIBAND 6 WVA-M 1 A2JF 600D-mens watch, which appear to differ only cosmetically and are also offered by Alexcious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bang for your buck., October 14, 2013
After downloading the correct manual, I love this watch. This watch has everything that I want in a watch at a reasonable price. The link to the correct manual is: [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING WATCH!, September 13, 2014
watch works great. im amazing at how many compliments i get on it too. Im a 20 year old male in college. the adjustable wristband is HEAVENLY. i mean my wrists are a bit smaller and this thing feels great because at any point, within 3 seconds, it can be adjusted. Also the alarm beeps for like 5 seconds then stops and never rings again. just though id say that since some watches beep for like 1 minute. glow in the dark part works well when exposed to sun. it lasts a decent amount of time but on the shorter side. the LED light completely makes up for it and it even looks cool.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, December 3, 2014
Robert Childress (Billings, MO United States) - See all my reviews
Would have been more convenient if there had been an English set of instructions.

CASIO watch WAVECEPTOR Waveceptor solar radio watch MULTIBAND6 WVA-M630D-1AJF
$103.04
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.