5.0 out of 5 stars CCENT in 10 Days
Published 10 months ago by Dondeal

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok Book
This is a decent book, though I think for a beginner a CBT course with hands on would probably sink in more. But for someone renewing their cert, this is ok book.
Published 5 months ago by Buster Boy

5.0 out of 5 stars CCENT in 10 Days, February 3, 2014
I was so confident after reading the first 14 chapters that I immediately scheduled my CCENT and passed it! I did do every single written lab, hands-on lab, and all the review questions after every chapter.The subnetting section is worth the price of the book alone. I simply couldn't understand it from anyone else until I read that chapter. I'm going to knock out the last 7 chapters and schedule the CCNA. I got the kindle version so when I read at home, my last reading position automatically synced to my phone when I was out and about. This made studying real efficient.

*EDIT: I obtained my CCNA. The 2nd part was harder and I supplemented my studies with other online sources to become more confident before testing.

5.0 out of 5 stars What you NEED to know about LAMMLE'S CCNA R&S new release!!!!!, October 13, 2013
This review is from: CCNA Routing and Switching Study Guide: Exams 100-101, 200-101, and 200-120 (Paperback)
First off, I wanted to say what a phenomenal book this is. I understand the subjects better than any other Cisco book I've read. This book covers the CCENT and CCNA R/S objectives to a "T", leaving nothing out, but really honing in on what you need to know to pass the exam. If you email the author there is a wealth of free bonus material available, and this is discussed in the introduction, and I highly recommend getting the bonus material. Make no mistake, this is a big book full of useful material that you can use in your career while also studying for the exams. The written labs, hands-on labs and review questions at the end of each chapter really help you remember the material. This is the best book on Cisco! The troubleshooting chapter is the best I've ever read on Cisco troubleshooting and is worth the price of the book for that one chapter alone. I also find it quite interesting to read the reviews and get everyone's opinion. I've recently started to review old material to bridge the gaps while also considering what has changed in terms of the technology and what I'll be subjected to come test time. Pittman mentions in his review that Lammle spends some time on legacy routing protocols, (or what some engineers may refer to them as these days). I can tell you that after working in this field for many years, you never know what you're going to encounter and it's VERY important to understand this technology whether you may be using them or not. R&S is Cisco's bread and butter, and I know Cisco is known to include some older technology on their exams, but it's for good reason, especially in my opinion. I can't begin to tell you how many times my group and I have been talking about the evolution of our network. From what it was 10 years ago and how it's grown over the years. When they start to talk RIPv1/v2, I tend to back out, but they're still important. Also, don't fool yourself, you will see them and Lammle has never mislead us in preparing for these exams through his literature. In terms of multi-area OSPF, I disagree with Pittman again. OSPF (single area) has been on the CCNA exam sine 2008, and now, they're digging deeper. Multiple areas/LSA types are VERY important not only in terms of building scalable networks, but in passing this exam now too. If you don't believe so, you're naive. Todd discusses and shows examples for exam purposes but also delves a bit deeper. In my opinion, that's the beauty of his literature. Todd's books focus on passing, but also on teaching a foundation, (which Cisco press does NOT), in conjunction with learning the exam topics and what it takes to get the cert. CISCO press' primary goal is to sell books and vouchers to lace their pockets and control the market place. TODD LAMMLE wants his students and the people that read his literature to of course pass their exam, which is, let's face it, the ultimate goal. However Todd takes the time to make sure each of his students get a solid foundation and understand the principals, (for example - having a firm grasp on layer 2 and 3 concepts), which can make or break an engineer in the long run, (the proof is in this book!). So to summarize my review and the two previous posts I've read - I concur with the Lammle method. Just ask yourself before buying a book, Cisco Press or Lammle? Do I want to be a paper cert and just have the bullet points to pass. Or, do I want to be a solid engineer with a strong foundation - certified, able to apply it, show it, know it, and ultimately prove it on a large scale enterprise network - seems like a no brainer to me - LAMMLE! The intimacy of his classes is stellar as well. You will pass your exam and also leave with confidence and the ability to execute what you've learned! This book was truly fantastic. Todd does a great job in delivering the material in a detailed but easy to understand fashion, unlike the Cisco press books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review review, October 14, 2013
I too have "thumbed through" this book, as C. Pittman notes, but perhaps a bit more thoroughly, and, I took the time to check the Cisco site to see what are actually listed as objectives of the ICND1, ICND2 tests. First, RIP 2 is an objective of the ICND1 test, and Lammle gives it its due in about six pages, which is about enough to cover the subject. I don't know that "20 pages are dedicated to RIP" is actually true as the index notes every occurrence of the term in the book, which in some cases is merely the mention of the term RIP, but is otherwise unrelated to it.

Second, 4-Layer and 5-Layer TCP/IP models? This was a new one on me, so I looked it up on Wiki. Turns out that "Cisco Academy" has an entry on a network chart of eight differing network models on the Wiki page, where it states that the "Cisco Academy" model has four layers. Then it lists five layers in the chart with distinct names. Go figure. This "Cisco Academy" model most closely corresponds to the four-layer DoD model that Cisco has tested on for years. The other model is the OSI model which has seven layers. For testing purposes, know the names of each layer in each model, and, which layer(s) in one model correspond to which layer(s) in the other. As noted, Lammle covers the DoD model in about 30 pages, and the OSI model in about 15. The information is dense, but clear and concise, and flows nicely from layer to layer.

And finally, Pittman's comment about multi-area OSPF is not true. I've posted a URL (below) for a Cisco video presentation where the objectives for the ICND1 and ICND2 tests are detailed. Sadly, this video is the only place I could quickly find that detailed the objectives for ICND1 and ICND2. Everything else was a sales pitch for a Cisco book or learning tool. The objectives for ICND2 occurred around 22:04 give or take a minute or so. There were two OSPF listings, "Multi-area OSPF IPv4 Implementation," and "Understanding and Configuring OSPF v3," which covers OSPF for IPv6. The troubleshooting in the Lammle book in the OSPF chapter alone makes this book one to own as I've never seen troubleshooting OSPF presented so clearly, detailed or logically. Betting that multi-area OSPF won't be on the test is a sure way to fail it, and any book that doesn't go into it as deeply as Lammle's book isn't worth owning. Just my opinion, of course, but OSPF is a standard not to be ignored at any cost or savings.

The following URL is a 1.75 hour discussion on the new objectives, and at 22:04 there is a slide listing the ICND2 new objectives.

[...]

As far as the rest of Lammle's book goes, it's up to his usual standards of accuracy and completeness. Every subject is covered very well, and if you do the quizzes and the labs at the end of each chapter - and understand what you're doing - you're going to pass this very difficult test.

The IPv6 section is the best I've read, and if you need to configure IPv6, the chapter on it will give you all the information you'll need to make intelligent decisions. Prior to reading this I've always felt like a fish flopping around on a piece of newspaper when it comes to IPv6, but the explanations and discussions were like turning on a light; very illuminating, if you'll forgive the pun. And, the "Troubleshooting IP, IPv6, and VLANs" chapter is worth its weight in gold for its coverage of IPv6 all by itself. I really "get" IPv6 now, though I can only hope I never have to implement it. If I do, this is the book I'll go back to as a reference.

As I've grown accustomed to with Lammle's books, each chapter contains tons of diagrams illustrating the point he's trying to make. I'm more of a visual learner, and so really appreciate the detail in the diagrams as they tie the written explanations together well enough for me to understand the new concepts covered in this book. And I can honestly say that in looking over the diagrams I could not find a single error in either labeling or illustrating. That's unusual enough for a technical book and well-worth noting as errors just slow the learning process while you research where the error is, the text or the diagram.

And the new stuff in the CCNA exam is all covered exceptionally well, something that, as a long-time reader of his tech books, hardly comes as a surprise, but is gratifying nonetheless. Exceptionally well-written, and I can't recommend it highly enough to anyone seeking to pass the new CCNA exams, or anyone who just needs a good reference book on general Cisco equipment and network management.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reading for Trying to Get Certified for First Time, October 28, 2013
Todd's material is written in a way that is easy to understand. I have read and used other CCNA study material and didn't get past the first 40 pages because it seemed like they already expected you to know the material. I have also been to one of his boot camps and it is intense high pace, but he makes sure that you understand the material and stresses what you need to know and understand in order to be a certified professional. This book is no different. I have my CCENT thanks to this book! I will be using this book for the ICND2 test as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another quality book from Todd, March 7, 2014
This is now the second book i've read from Todd. I can say first hand that this book covers everything you will need to know for your ICND1 and ICND2, i used this book to pass both tests. It is well written, very informative, and not a dry cut book. The author talks to the reader, making it easier to read, and also offers real world scenarios, problems, and resolutions. This is a great book and a must have for studying CCENT/CCNA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, Professor recommended!, November 13, 2013
Professor recommended this book after we took the class, I agree with her this is one of the best books to study from. I am 3 chapters in and actually enjoy reading. I've also bought an "Exam Cram" book, which is good, but this one covers everything you need to take the test. Would recommend to others as my Professor did to my class.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Understand for Lay Person, March 15, 2014
This thick book is filled with concepts laid out in a clear way for lay people. Truth to be told, I am not a technical person, which I wasn't able to understand Wendell Odom's book. After reading Lammie, I finally got to understand Odom. I found that these two books would work hand in hand when one is studying for an exam.

Thanks to this book, I passed my ICND1 exam today.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I've had for learning new concepts, February 3, 2014
Todd Lammle has the ability to take information that is not easily understood and present it in such a way that anyone can instantly grasp the concepts. This is by far and away the best author and book if you're looking to obtain your CCNA.

I cannot recommend this enough and there is no need for a lengthy review since this is the definitive guide to the CCNA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, January 27, 2014
I just got my CCNA, and this book helped me pass the new exam. You will crush the CCNA with this book. I believe this is a great book for anyone that just needs a refresher or just getting into cisco networking world. Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best CISCO book I've found for the moment., February 14, 2014
I've got a couple of years another edition with a CD. I was happy with the eBook provided on the CD. The new edition doesn't have the CD, however it gave you links to a lot of simulators, questions and flashcards.
I like how Tod Lammle is presenting the material for CISCO certification with a lot of examples and in a way to make everyone understanding the subject.
More info after I will pass the certification!

CCNA Routing and Switching Study Guide: Exams 100-101, 200-101, and 200-120