on February 1, 2011
I actually started out with the TEAC P1260. It was a nice CD player and worked great for many months. Although, after purchasing an amp and really nice headphones, I needed a CD player that offered a better built in DAC and a digital out jack for possible future upgrades. If not, then I would have to buy a standalone DAC AND a CD player with a digital output. Well lucky for me, turns out TEAC introduced this unit just in time, and I jumped on it as soon as I found out about it! Now, that it came a few days ago, I'll give my impressions so far and compare it to my previous P1260. The key features to this model over the previous, is it's much better built in DAC, digital output in rear for future DAC upgrades, and also the addition of a USB port for MP3 use.

Five reasons I find the P650 superior to the P1260:

1 - It has a really nice built in DAC. I'm not sure what the P1260 used, but the DAC in this actually has a name, so it must be important! Well actually, you can see the full description of it on their website, but it seems to be a BurrBrown type DAC. Already I can tell you this is a major step over the one in the P1260, but am unsure how it stacks up against actual standalone ones. Anyway, beyond the point. Whether you hook the CD player into an amp, or you simply plug in your MP3 player, you know you are getting good digital to analog conversion. After a few days of testing, I can definitely say I am hearing new things in my music I thought I haven't heard before. The sound seems more refined that before and the music just sounds better. And the cool thing is, when you plug in your MP3, it simply bypasses the MP3's DAC and uses the awesome one in the CD player instead. This makes your MP3 tunes sound better than ever.

2 - It has a much more detailed screen. The screen on the P650 is very nice, in a way it will display the title of the artist and song as you go through your list. It can also go through folders too, so it's very easy to sift through hundreds if not thousands of songs in a breeze. You can name your folders or songs anything you want from the computer and they will display on the screen. Although, this feature is only available when using an MP3 player, but still a great one none the less. It also is a lot less bright and doesn't use a blue back lit screen like the P1260, so it doesn't light up half your room when listening at night. It simply has blue words and numbers and uses no back light. Other than that, I much prefer the screen of the P650 mainly due to no annoying back light.

3 - It has a USB jack! Now, not only can you stick in any CD you want, but you can also hook up any MP3 player you want. Once connected, you can use the controller to sort through all your folders, all of which are named so it's easy to tell where you are throughout your collection. You can actually have an MP3 connected while a CD is in the tray and switch back and forth between CD and MP3 player if needs be, all the while your MP3 is charging. Yes, charging. It will charge your MP3 player whether you are listening to a CD or straight from the player. And I will admit, it's nice to be able to charge my MP3 player without using a computer! As said before, once connected, it will bypass your MP3's DAC and use the superior one in the CD player making all your music sound better.

4 - It has better controller navigation. With the controller on the P650, you can navigate through all your folders and songs very easily. The controller on the P1260 is obviously still fine, but it is very basic due to being restricted to only playing from a CD, so title and folders are not displayed. On top of that, it has a very responsive fast forward and rewind button, which makes pinpointing your favorite part in a song a breeze. Button wise, I believe it has more buttons and features as well, but I'm not positive. As mentioned before, it's nice that you can whisk through all your folders very quickly and find the song you're looking for, despite having hundreds of songs, due to the screen displaying more information than the P1260.

5 - It has a slimmer build and looks nicer. Nothing huge here, but the slimmed down body is definitely an extra plus. It's width and depth are about the same, but it has definitely been trimmed in height, making it easier to fit on certain shelves. The CD tray itself seems to be built of higher quality, and the entire operation of the CD player seems a bit more refined. Buttons are also smaller and operate a bit smoother as well. Overall, it's simply higher quality built than the P1260, all the while being smaller in size, and just simply looks like a really nice unit. It definitely looks like something costing twice the price. It's a very cool unit to have out on display due to it's sleek looks. I really have no complaints about the build, or anything at all really.

Overall the P650 is an absolutely spectacular CD player, and I would recommend it to basically anyone. For someone looking for just a CD transport, this is it, and probably the cheapest one you'll find. Even if your are more of a portable MP3 user, you can still plug it straight into the USB and enjoy the benefits from it's excellent built in DAC. On top of that, it still can be used as just a standalone CD player. And thanks to it's digital out jack, it can also be connected to an external DAC for future upgrades. And to top it all off, it just looks and operates like a dream. Absolutely incredible for the price, and I simply couldn't ask for anything more. A great purchase for anyone that loves music and is looking for a budget desktop CD player. Way to go TEAC!

--------------------

9/2/11 EDIT REVIEW:

This thing is really all I need.

So my original review I posted was just a comparison to the Teac P1260. Pretty much, I raved about how much better this model was to that one, and left it at that. But recently I felt I needed to review the P650 for what it is, and not do it in a comparison format. Hopefully, this version of my review ends up a bit more helpful for those are skeptical to buy a cheaper brand cd player and also for those wanting to know more about the unit. But by the end of the review, I think you'll have whatever negative perceptions you have slightly altered.

Okay, so it's a cd player. That much is confirmed and obvious. You stick your cd in, and are able to listen to it via headphones from its ¼ inch jack, or use its outputs for external speakers. Either way, you are getting music from an audio cd, which means there is no audio compression which you normally get from most music files on mp3's, iPod's, or computers. Using a bit higher end headphones will reveal the benefits of uncompressed music. But this much you already knew, right? It is a cd player after all.

But what else can it do? One of the biggest and nicest improvements it has over the P1260 and many cd players on the market is its usb port located on the front panel. This is one of the handiest features in my opinion, and I use it all the time. This enables you to connect your mp3 or iPod via usb cable, and listen to it through the P650 itself. What's the benefit to this? Well, you are able to use the BurrBrown dac that's built into the P650 for superior digital to analog conversion over your portable device. This means, all your music will sound better through the P650 as opposed to your mp3 or iPod. Browsing through your music files is a breeze, and it will display all your folders and songs on the P650's screen. Using the remote, you can zoom through all your music, and select whatever song you want quick quickly. Plus, it actually charges your mp3 at the same time. Well, it charges mine anyway. A nifty little feature if you ask me.

Alright, moving on to its outputs and flexibility. You've got a digital out and standard av outputs on the back side of the P650. Obviously, you'll use the av outputs to connect to either speakers or an external amp. With the digital out, you can connect it to an external dac and bypass the internal one of the P650 for future upgrades. So basically, you can use the P650 as a cd transformer if you've got your own amp and DAC. I can almost guarantee you this is the cheapest CD transformer on the market, so if you only plan on using this to simply play the cd while your external amp and dac takes care of the rest; this is a great piece of equipment to have in your arsenal.

And sound? First off, let me say this is able to drive pretty much every headphone you could throw at it. Even with my 300ohm HD650, I was able to achieve a very loud volume at around the 10:00 position on the dial. They drove my Q701 very good too, and again, with plenty of volume. Noted, this is all if you use the unit by itself, without an external amp and such. But how about sound quality? So, I was able to hook up the MKIII and EF5 via the av outputs and test many high end headphone in the past. Let's just say, I lost my faith in amps. Plugging into those amps versus straight into the P650, I was hard pressed finding any major difference. Could it be the dac? Well, I was about to find out. I soon used the HeadRoom Micro dac and Micro amp combo with the P650, and fully bypassed all of its internals. And guess what? Using my HD650, I wasn't able to pin point a single difference between using the Micro combo, and running them straight off the P650 headphone jack. No really, I'm serious. How fast do you think I sent that combo back? So, if you are worried about the sound quality of the unit, then take my word that it will be perfectly fine for most people, including myself. For that little handful of elitists that can never be satisfied with anything, feel free to bypass all of its internals and hook it up to thousand dollar amps and dacs.

Wrapping this one up, I'll say what I said at the beginning. This thing is really all I need. Unless I'm going portable, I'm hooking up all my reference headphones up to this device and don't plan on buying another amp in the future. I've tested a large amount of headphones through this unit, yet it didn't hit me on how good it was until my recent experiences with the Micro combo and the HD650. I honestly think this unit is a fabulous deal, and is fantastic audio investment for new comers as well as seasoned audiophiles.

--------------------

4/16/12 EDIT REVIEW:

I really felt I should elaborate yet once again on this review, more specifically, regarding the P650 and P1260. I've noticed the P650 has dropped to $150 since I had bought it, and the P1260 is currently priced 50% cheaper at $100. But, I really would like to emphasize why the P1260 should NOT be bought over this even if budget is an issue. Basically with this edit, I would like to talk more specifically about the meat of the CD players, aka the sound quality. On my original review, I gave five reasons to buy it over the P1260, but now I want to introduce the "6th" reason, and go into much more specifics. I'm sure the biggest reason one would buy this over it's predecessor is an expected increase in sound quality, and I aim to verify that assumption.

So, recently buying the Q701 and an assortment of equipment, I'm forced to use the P650 until my goods arrive. Thus, I didn't want to pass up the opportunity to do some actual head-to-head against the P1260. And of course with my recent realizations of current prices, I could see some potential buyers contemplating the cheaper P1260 instead. So with further ado, let's get to it!

Let's put it this way. I would suggest, recommend, and advise you to go for the P650 over the P1260. Personally, I would do it for sound alone, but of course there are other reasons for the upgrade (as mentioned in original review). First, I'd like to mention it's ability to drive the Q701. But even before that, I'd like to mention that the Q701's are harder to drive than the DT880 600ohm. I've got both side-by-side, and the Q701 requires a small increase in the volume nob to maintain at the DT880's level. That said, he's the results of the two players driving the Q701:

Player + Headphone = "Time" on volume knob = Amount of volume used.
P650 + Q701 = 9:00 (no volume being 7:00) = 20% total volume.
P1260 + Q701 = 12:00 (max volume being 5:00) = 50% total volume.

Sound quality wise, this is where the P1260 simply cannot match in performance. Switching from the P1260 to the P650 is quite stark. First, you have to decrease volume by a significant amount. But after that simple task, you ears are treated to a very nice and welcomed improvement. The midrange really pops with the Q701 on the P650 compared to the relatively dull P1260. Instrument separation is very noticeably enhanced as well. The music sounds genuinely more "fleshed out" on the P650, while the P1260 sounds like it's not giving you everything. Overall the P1260 sounds more flat and constrained compared directly to the P650, which simply sounds more detailed, sophisticated, and enjoyable across the board. An easy trade for an extra $50.

Oh, and one last thing for the audiophiles. I've been testing the P650 with the Q701, and it sounds nearly identical to the Matrix M-Stage USB.
2121 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 17, 2014
Verified Purchase
A typical CD player in this price range rarely meets high expectations. However, this TEAC CD-P650 manages to impress with a clean design, quality components, and excellent performance for its class. Frankly, if CDs were not declining in popularity I wouldn't be surprised to see this player go for twice the price. But the market has swung towards MP3 for obvious reasons and this TEAC provide a great bridge platform for those who still have CD collections but also want to take advantage of playing files directly from their MP3 players or USB storage. Add in the headphone jack with separate volume control and you have a unit that works just as well on its own as it does connected to your main audio system.

I purchased my first and only CD player back in 1986. It's a TEAC single CD player that has been in my audio system to this very day and it has worked perfectly for 28 years (!). After recently rebuilding the subwoofer in my audio system to replace worn speakers, I started to do some research on the state-of-the-art in CD players. Overall, the technology has become more affordable, the CD mechanisms are less complex, and the D/A converters have been significantly refined. At this point, CD players have reached their pinnacle and mass-market manufacturers are certainly not investing any more in the technology. Even the high end of the market ($1000+ players) can only differentiate themselves by using higher quality power supplies and D/A sections designed to make the most of the brilliantly-conceived CD format. For most of us, a good quality basic player will do everything just as well.

What attracted me to the TEAC CD-P650 was its high-quality appearance, its Burr-Brown D/A, and its ability to play a variety of digital files directly from an MP3 player or USB storage. Since more and more of our family's music is being purchased as MP3 from the start, I felt it was time to add MP3 capability (via iPod or USB stick) to my main audio system --something I had put off for a long time. When the CD-P650 arrived, I was immediately impressed with its quality construction and appearance. There is nothing cheap looking or feeling about it. The CD drawer moves solidly and no mechanical noise emanates from the unit when a CD is playing. Since I always take apart my stuff to see what's inside, I was pleasantly surprised to see a very thoughtfully laid out interior --among the cleanest of any consumer product I own. There's a separate power supply board, a large transformer, the D/A board, and only a few, neatly routed cables (several are shielded) between them. I was expecting less attention to detail in this low-cost unit but I was pleasantly surprised at the quality. The CD transport itself is very solid and the laser/spindle portion is nicely isolated from shock and vibration. There are gold-plated RCA output jacks, an optical output, and connections for a TEAC remote control system. The player comes with it's own remote control for accessing all functions (many of which can only be accessed with the remote as the front panel buttons are kept to a minimum). See my photos of the interior and you'll see what I mean about quality components.

Fortunately, this CD-P650 operates and plays CDs and MP3s brilliantly. The two row, front panel display is easy to read and provides a scrolling display of the MP3 file/folder name currently playing. If a CD is playing, only the track number and time is visible. Upon playing my first few CDs it was clear that this TEAC is a refined design and easily exceeds the audio performance of my old player. My old TEAC player had a 2X oversampling D/A and a fifth order analog filter. This was good for its time 28 years ago, but modern D/As provide 8X oversampling and a cleaner output signal. I confirmed that the CD-P650 indeed uses the Burr-Brown PCM1791 D/A Converter among other high quality parts.

Overall, I'm glad I found this player and am very happy with the upgrade to my system. The performance and quality has exceeded my expectations and provides a perfect bridge for playing my CDs and MP3s through my main audio system. This was a great purchase!
review image review image review image review image
on March 5, 2011
Verified Purchase
Even though I'm sure that this item is a good product, the title and description are a little misleading. "TEAC CD-P650 CD and USB Recorder with Remote (Black)" implies that you can record Audio CDs with this recorder (WAV files). Instead, it only records MP3 files onto CD. So I'm closing the box and replacing it with the TEAC CD-RW890 CD Recorder with Remote (Black). This time, I went to the TEAC website, downloaded and read the manual before I ordered. The title probably should have read "TEAC CD-P650 USB and CD MP3 Recorder with Remote (Black)".
LATER: I bought the CD-RW890 CD Recorder and it is a great product (too). I needed it for Audio CD recording.
Three years later: the CD-RW890 is still working OK. Used often. Several hundred CD Master recordings.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 24, 2010
Verified Purchase
I still have an old school rack mounted stereo system with individual components. After the death of my CD player I was looking for a single play CD player. The Teac CD-P650 was my choice due to the USB interface. In addition to great Audio CD playback, this unit adds the dimension of plugging in an MP3 player or a thumb drive and being able to enjoy music from those sources. I am a volunteer DJ for CJAM 99.1 FM and I often use thumb drives to preview new releases. The CD player displays the artist and title from the MP3 source, so I can quickly review new music. Overall the unit was eay to set up and works great!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 2, 2011
Verified Purchase
Well made component, better than the low price would suggest. Simple, uncluttered design looks nice. Other family members have no problem using it.

The real special feature is the ipod integration, which bypasses the ipod's digital audio converter (DAC) and uses the better quality Burr-Brown DAC built into the unit. I've tested aac and apple lossless files on my ipod and they sound great. You plug in the ipod and it goes through an 'authentication'.. which is apparently how a device can get access to the digital audio stream from the ipod rather than the analog line out. There are other high-end audio products that can do this, but at far higher cost.

To be honest, I don't know if I'm enough of a critical listener to really determine how a better DAC affects the sound, but it's a cool feature anyway. My only criticism is that navigating through MP3 files on a USB thumb drive is fairly clunky and the controls for directory switching are only on the remote.
on April 24, 2011
Verified Purchase
I bought this CD player specifically for one reason; to play music on USB drives through my home stereo. Being old I have never fully embraced keeping my music on an mp3 player, iPod or Cloud and playing it through small headphones or on a little stereo with a dock does not sound very good. I have a large collection of CD's and keep copies of them on a 150 Gig external hard drive attached to my home PC. (I also use the external drive to back up the PC).

I like to hear my music on a home stereo or in my car on a pretty good stereo. The most efficient way for me to do that is transfer the music onto an USB drive via my home computer and plug the USB thumb drive into a USB jack to play the music. I know I could play an MP3 or iPod through my home and car stereos and through the USB port, for me that is more trouble than it should be.

My car stereo will shortly have a USB jack in the front as I am upgrading, I needed an easy way to play the same music at home as in my car and carry it in a simple drive w/o battery or connection worries.

There are very few component stereo units that have a USB port on the front. The TEAC CD-P650 does and for $150 costs less than what I paid for my last CD player 5 years ago. I simply added the TEAC to my component stack plugged in the included RCA cables and select Video source(my existing 5 CD player is using CD source) it plays my music beautifully.

The screen displays song, artist and track number, a nice bonus is the TEAC CD player sounds much better than my existing CD player. Love it.

A little expensive for a way to play USB drives but for my needs it is perfect. My son bought me a 16 Gig USB thumb drive for my birthday apparently that will hold 3000 songs, that should do.
on November 9, 2011
Verified Purchase
I bought this CD player about 6 months ago. I figured that TEAC being a well-known brand (which I have bought before) that it would be a quality product. Apparently not so. About a month or so ago it started occasionally make a loud metallic hiss when I first started playing a CD. It was so infrequent that I didn't get too bent out of shape at the time. It has now started doing it all of the time making it impossible to play a CD. Very disappointing. 6 months, really?
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 23, 2011
Verified Purchase
This is very solid, well built player. My cds sounds so perfect now. I do not have an Ipod yet, so I have not pluged one in yet. The sound does seem better than using a DVD player. Amazon did a real good job, with fast service. I'll sure buy from them again.
on June 7, 2011
Verified Purchase
This is a good cd player for the money. The USB connection that bypasses the ipod's DAC and utilizes the cd player's far superior one is a nice touch. I run the P-650 through an NAD 7100 receiver with Yamaha NS-333 speakers and it sounds great. Then, for ultimate sound quality, I listen with Sennheiser HD-650 headphones. So use of a high quality amp/receiver, speakers and headphones is definitely recommended.
on February 18, 2012
Verified Purchase
This product was faulty out of carton, it would play a CD about 3/4 way then just stop, and nothing would correct this, you could go back to beginning of CD and it would play 3/4 way then stop again. I was dissapointed, normally being a frequent customer of Amazon I am pleased with items purchased thru the years, and it is always my main source of on-line purchasing.