5.0 out of 5 stars The Word is Accurate
Published on December 12, 2009 by El Officianado

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow. Requires Large Temp Area. You Can Calibrate It.
Not suitable for what I was looking for. This thermometer requires about two inches of it to be inserted into the product being cooked to get a good reading. I was looking for something to guage BBQ temps, so, inserting this into a brat or chx is useless because the temp swath is so large.

It is accurate and you can calibrate it if required. That's nice...
Published on June 2, 2011 by Fritz Bishop

5.0 out of 5 stars The Word is Accurate, December 12, 2009
El Officianado (Pensacola, Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CDN IRXL220 ProAccurate Insta-Read Large Dial Cooking Thermometer (Kitchen)
This instant read thermometer is accurate, period. In addition, the large numerals on its dial are easily and quickly read. I tested it out of the box on a glass of ice water and a pot of boiling water. The readings were right on at 32 and 212 degress plus or minus a smidgen of a degree. That is good enough for me. Please note as another reviewer mentioned, that the sensing portion of the thermometer is between the tip and the dimple in the shaft.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insta-read large dial, November 28, 2007
I am getting older and do not see as well as I used to and with the large dial I can see this without my glasses. I love it and you no longer have to put things into a roast or turkey to try and read in the oven, just stick this one in wait until it stops going up and presto you know the internal temperature. It also works well to read the temp of the bath water for your grand son....Nice quality product.

5.0 out of 5 stars ProAccurate Insta-Read Large Dial Thermometer, May 22, 2009
J. McCleary (Northern IN USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great Insta-Read thermometer. It is accurate, and the large dial is easy to read. This is much better than the smaller versions.

Since it is Insta-Read, it is not meant to leave in the meat while cooking. It gives an accurate temperature within a few seconds. You don't have to wait for several minutes like the smaller thermometers.

This CDN thermometer is a quality product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow. Requires Large Temp Area. You Can Calibrate It., June 2, 2011
Fritz Bishop "The Goo" (Rochester Hills, MI United States) - See all my reviews

It is accurate and you can calibrate it if required. That's nice. I'll hold onto it for gravies or stews/chilies or something else. Probably never use it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Walmart Thermometer, June 14, 2011
I bought a Wal-Mart (believe Better Homes) private label instant read thermometer before this one. I use it for boiling goat milk (highly temperature sensitive). The Wal-Mart brand accidentally fell into the milk and when I pulled it out, there was milk inside the thermometer. Fast forward to this thermometer...same accident and no milk at all...Both are accurate and it takes a few seconds to get the actual readout.

The big dial is a plus for the CDN, although I was OK with the Wal-Mart dial as well. The Wal-Mart thermometer won the looks battle as it was all steel (including the dial) but in my opinion it was more style than substance.

Finally this appears to be a well built thermometer and I really enjoy the cover which subs as an extension handle to hold the thermometer on top of the hot liquids with out the steam getting on your knuckles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insta-Read Thermometer, December 12, 2009
I've used these thermometers for years. They are dead accurate from 32-212 degrees Faarenheit. Easy to read and care for. I have two. They give identical readings.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not instant., January 4, 2013
I bought this earlier this month and wanted to use it for baking one day but when I put it in the temperature changed VERY slowly. It took about 2 minutes before the temperature rose to around 145. I do understand that I may have received a defective product and I hope Amazon can address this issue but at least for my purchase it did not live up to what it advertised.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Value, April 20, 2010
This is a kitchen essential and a good value. Product reads temp. quickly, although "instant" is a stretch. Appears to be accurate and comes with protective cover for probe. No batteries to fool with. All in all, a good buy.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointment, September 21, 2012
Product arrive on time and work as promise. But I was highly disappointed with the quality. My wife use it to make yogurt and sour milk. She is careful how she use her tools. She read everything that come with the product and never abuse them. Approximate 30 day she notice the arm indicator was not moving. Regardless the price of a product it should not be broken in such a short time. We contact Amazon, they immediately reply and send us another one. Hopefully this one will last longer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Accurate and Easy to Read, December 27, 2009
I bought this thermometer primarily to accurately gauge cooking temperatures when making yogurt and cheese. The large easy-to-read dial is a boon for anyone who has a little trouble reading small print. I had cataract surgery this year, so the larger numbers certainly do help. I also like the fact that it came with a protective plastic sheath, which in turn has a pocket clip. Pretty handy.

What I did not like was the time it took to properly register the temperature. As another reviewer mentioned, the needle jerks quite a bit on the way. Not behaviors I would expect from a product described as being "Insta-Read". While the low price might clue a person as to quality, be forewarned that this product is not made in the United States, but in China. My personal experience with off-shore manufactured products have been rather negative. Your results may vary.