4 out of 5 stars
CDN TM8 Digital Timer and Clock Memory Feature
Price:$13.72 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on August 25, 2014
Verified Purchase
This is my second CDN timer and I love it. It is my second because the first did not survive the swim in the cat bowl. Not a product problem, an owner problem. I've had the first one for two years and love it. It is a timer/count-up/clock item. When using it for cooking and baking, it counts down to zero, rings for a minute (and I can hear it 20 ft away in another room) and then counts up until I turn it off. It has a memory feature so that when I bake cookies, I set the memory to 12 minutes and use the memory function each time. I am happy to say that you can use the memory function and add minutes to it. For example, I usually have it set for 15 minutes. If I need 20 minutes, I hit the memory feature and add 5 additional minutes to make 20. I wish my microwave did that.

The count-up timer works just like every simple count up timer. No bells or whistles. The little clock function is nice too. Also very plain jane kind of clock but visible.

The whole timer is about 2 3/4" by 2". It doesn't have a huge screen but it is very visible. I wear glasses and about 5' away is the farthest I can read it. While the screen is not backlit, the numbers are high contrast and easily seen (I have vision problems and can read it easily). It can stand by itself, lay down or attach to a steel surface.

I bought a card of 8 batteries from Amazon. They are Maxell LR44 A76 1.5v batteries. During the two years I had the first timer, I only needed one battery. And I use this little timer a lot.

The new one has a slightly different bell but I like it. I recommend this to friends and have been delighted to get a new one myself. I have purchased a $30 Kitchen Aid timer in the recent past and the only thing I liked about it was that it was red.Nowhere near the flexibility and reliability of this little CDN.
on March 28, 2010
Verified Purchase
I was looking for a digital timer that was reasonably priced and worked well - and this one 'fits the bill'. It is small, readable, easy to use and with a loud enough alarm so even if I am in the basement I can hear it. I definitely recommend this one.
on October 12, 2012
Verified Purchase
This timer is great! I use it in my classroom for so many different things. It's awesome for getting students' attention when "time is up" as the beeping is very loud. I also love that it has a memory setting. I've set mine to 30 seconds and that's the perfect amount for think-pair-share. It also has a count up setting which is great when you're trying to track the length of a presentation, etc.
I used to work at a coffee shop, and we used these timers to regulate espresso shot times and to keep track of tea brewing. They worked stupendously. They do--unfortunately, obviously, and expectedly--die a horrible death if you get them wet. Great timer!!!!
UPDATE 5 months later:
I have just started to have some issues with the timer. I still think it's a good purchase, but in the interest of full disclosure, here's some more info.
The timer now sometimes crashes, just like a computer does. The screen will fail and only partially display and none of the buttons will work. I have to do a hard reboot (I.e. take out the battery and then put it back in) to get it to work properly. Sometimes I have to do this a few times before it will properly work. This seems to happen when I'm trying to set the timer for a larger number of minutes and thus rapidly press the minute button repeatedly.
The timer does still work, but it's an annoying quirk to deal with when thirty plus students are waiting for me to start the timer.
EDITED August 11, 2012:
After about 4 months of use, the part of the display that shows the second number for the minutes went partially blank. This happened even though the timer had not been dropped, and had not gotten wet. The timer still keeps track of the time, so it's still useable. However, because of the defective display, I'm reducing my star rating from 5 stars to 3 stars ("it's okay" on the official Amazon scale).

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
This battery-operated CDN Digital Timer is a terrific all-purpose kitchen timer. A slider on the side makes it simple to switch between the three main functions: (1) an accurate 24-hour digital clock, (2) a count-up timer (stopwatch), and (3) a count-down timer (food timer). The display shows time in hours, minutes, and seconds-- the maximum time is 23 hours, 59 minutes, 59 seconds. The timer is powered by a single flat, round LR44 battery (included).

The timer's best feature is the independent memory function that will recall your most frequently used time setting. I keep the memory set at 20 minutes--the time it takes to freeze homemade ice cream--but the memory can be easily erased and reset to something different whenever you like. You do NOT have to set the timer and allow it to run to completion to invoke the memory function (a requirement with many other kitchen timers). Instead, the memory is set independently, by using the regular Hr.-Min.-Sec. buttons and then hitting the Memory button. The timer has a built-in stand, plus a fairly strong magnet that you can use to attach the device to any convenient metal surface.

I rate this timer at 5 stars ("I love it" on the official Amazon scale). The only negative thing I have to say about it, is that it is quite small. At 2" high by 2-5/8" wide, it is slightly smaller than a credit card. Because my household has two cooks, I use this timer alongside another excellent timer, the Robic Three Memory Timer, which is limited to 99 minutes but which remembers three frequently used time settings.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 18, 2011
Verified Purchase
This is a great little time. Very sturdy. It fell from the top of my refrigerator onto a hard floor and it still works. My only criticism is I was hoping the timer would have been louder.
on November 30, 2010
Verified Purchase
This was a present for the family cook who has at least 5 other timers that have all gone bad (or missing).

It works just perfectly! I like that it is a timer and a clock, and can be used independently of each other. Having the timer going and switching it to the clock does not cause any problems whatsoever.

The buttons are easy for me to see and use. The display is large enough, and the beeper is very loud - this might be a problem for some, but in our house, a loud beeper is necessary! Not due to noise, but just for the fact that I can leave this timer on the kitchen table, go to the bathroom or bedroom or whatever, and if it goes off while I'm away, I can hear it. I typically don't carry my timers around with me unless I'm going outside.

The only con is that the magnet is not flush with the device, so it likes to wobble when placed on a magnetic surface. Nothing like opening up the fridge door and having the timer plonk on the floor! We had to actually glue the magnet back on because it came off during one drop. That being said, this timer has withstood several drops so far with no issues.
on December 29, 2012
Verified Purchase
I BOUGHT 2 OF THESE TIMERS AND ONE WORKS. I HAD PREVIOUSLY HAD ONE BUT I LOST IT. I LOVE THE TIMER; IT IS THE ONLY TIMER THAT I FEEL IS SO EASY TO WORK. I AM RETURNING THE TIMER TO THE MANUFACTURER BECAUSE IT HAS A
WARRANTY ON IT. I WILL UPDATE AS TO WHETHER THEY SEND ME A NEW ONE.

I KEPT THE BATTERY BECAUSE I HAVE TO PAY THE POSTAGE ON SOMETHING THAT DOES NOT WORK. WHEN I PUT THE BATTERY IN IT GOES BEZERK AND MAKES WEIRD NOISES.
SO IF YOU BUY ONE AND IT DOES NOT WORK, SEND IT BACK. I HAVE JUST ORDERED 2 MORE FOR MY GRANDSON WHO HAS JUST BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH DIABETES AND HE WILL NEED IT FOR TAKING SHOTS, ETC. HOPEFULLY THEY WORK. I HOPE TO CHANGE MY REVIEW TO MORE STARS. WE SHALL SEE.
on October 2, 2014
Verified Purchase
By far the best kitchen timer I've ever used. I've found that a lot of timers fall apart easily or just conk out. Not this one. Its battery sometimes dies, but it's easy to replace that.

We keep one at home; I have one in the office; and I had to replace that one when it mysteriously disappeared. The memory feature is easy to use, and it comes in handy if you want to time something you do repeatedly, like brew a cup of tea. You can also switch it to count up from zero (which I suppose might help on occasion) or to function as a clock (which seems a little useless). I'd buy it again -- actually, I have bought it again.
on November 23, 2011
Verified Purchase
Needed a replacement timer for my Polder (melted it). The beeper notification has a nice, loud ring to it. Numbers are easy to read and the buttons are easy to use. Giving only four stars because when you press the start/stop button, the unit pops of the refrigerator because the magnet and clip are located in the middle of the unit. This location results in a teeter-totter effect when you press on either side of it. Of course, you can fix the problem by either holding down the other side with your other hand or putting something under the side with the start/stop button. No biggie - I kept it since all other stuff works well.
on March 9, 2013
Verified Purchase
I originally bought one of these for Christmas 2011. It did not work out of the box. So I returned it for another.

That one worked. But it had a strange bug where if the switch was pressed down to timer function in the right way it would flicker between Clock mode and Timer Mode.

Then today it just died. Just after a Year. I dont' know if it's the batter or what.

I'm VERY disappointed since I bought this after having used many of them while working at a Coffee shop a few years ago.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations