4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but not quite what I was expecting
First off these connectors appear to be pretty good quality. The connectors easily connect and disconnect and are snug enough that I do not fear them coming apart on their own.

Published on October 17, 2011 by Bobmon

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as I hoped
Published 24 months ago by C. Cornell

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but not quite what I was expecting, October 17, 2011
Bobmon (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CES 10 Gauge 2 Pin Quick Disconnect Harness (Electronics)

Each harness is actually two plugs connected together with a red and black wire. So while you get about twelve inches of wire with the harness you'll really only get about six inches connected to each plug. Right now though that's my only complaint, which isn't much of one as for my application I am easily able to splice each plug onto a longer cable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as I hoped, August 26, 2012
This review is from: CES 10 Gauge 2 Pin Quick Disconnect Harness (Electronics)
I bought a bunch of these six months ago at least, to use in my pet project solar system, that I am always working on and expanding. I really liked the convenience of the disconnect feature and wanted only number ten gauge wire. And this had the right gauge. I also found several in-line ATC 10 gauge wire fuse holders that work really well. However they started heating up on me and I didn't notice it right away!

I noticed in the reviews that some people were having trouble finding the fuse holders in 10 gauge. Try "The Install Bay" ATFH10C-10; WTRPRF ATC FSEHLD 10 GA W/C 10. These are the ten pack, but they are available individually as well. Alternately Ancor
Marine Grade Products Fuse Holders Amps 30 Style ATO/ATC INLINE; Part #607023

Anyway, I have been using these quick disconnects as leads into and out of my Sunsaver Mppt 15Amp Solar Controller. And I also wired them to two different battery banks, plus my solar panels lead in wires, basically on every piece of equipment in my system, though not to any of the fuse 10 gauge inline wires obviously.

I started having some strange problems where the Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT was skipping over the bulk charge phase and going into absorption almost right away. Battery voltage would be only 13.05 volts but the Sunsaver battery terminals were reading at 13.85V.

I was running about 150 watts in from the panels and that was very low. They added up to 220 watts nominal. And the 150 number was only at peak radiance levels.

I was using a Dr Watt meter that I connected using these quick disconnects into my battery out cables to try and find the problem.

I checked everything, cleaned the three deep cycle batteries that I had wired in parallel. Checked each solar module for voltage power at the box and at each end. Everything seemed good.

Finally I also upped the thickness of my battery interconnect cables to 4 gauge.

Still had the Sunsaver misreading the battery voltages. I figured it had to be a possible ground fault somehow feeding back to the Sunsaver and spoofing it into thinking the voltage was much higher then it really was.

If this is lengthy it's because I want to explain the processes i went through before i make the complaints. I had crimped connectors But didn't solder as I don't really know how to do that well.

Finally just touching the plastic housing of the quick disconnect on my battery lead out which connected to my battery cables I discovered that the plastic housing was burning hot. At only 120 watts solar input, 13.10 volt input. Output I mean.

Trying the quick disconnect on a brand new Samlex Power 15AMP Charger I got the same heat overload. Looking into the plastic housings of all of my disconnects you can see that the male pole is made from simply thin hollow tin. and so is the female side as well. The wires are 10gauge but the actual connectors look like 16 gauge at best! Real cheap stuff that they are using.

So I tried a bunch of different ways to connect them up and no matter how I did it, they still are getting so hot especially at the 130-200watt 12volt level, that it looks like the one I was using as the connect to my battery out terminals on the Sunsaver may have melted a bit and some bleed through occurred feeding back to the Controller. I yanked all of the connectors out of the system and presto! The Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT started working perfectly, and all problems went away! Really lucky that Morningstar builds such a wonderfully sturdy device that it wasn't harmed by the current feedback loop.

Now I don't have any disconnects at all and I really miss them. If anyone has any suggestions please send me a comment. I am thinking of switching over to the PowerPole system, but really am starting to hate all of these additional costs and over spending!

Oh, lastly, I never had any problems matching up positive with positive and negative with negative. It's really simple to remember that each loop needs each side wired as they are when you first get them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough power connector for e-bikes, September 29, 2012
This review is from: CES 10 Gauge 2 Pin Quick Disconnect Harness (Electronics)
This 10awg 2 pin connector can handle the load for e-bike battery to motor connections very nicely. Of course it has other uses in the car stereo market, but I decided to make all my electric motor to battery connections using this high current capacity connector and they work great. Good for 30-35 amps which is about as much as the average ebike hubmotor can put out. I will be buying more of these great value connectors in the near future for my next ebike project.

5.0 out of 5 stars Using for solar panel connect/quick disconnect, March 3, 2012
This review is from: CES 10 Gauge 2 Pin Quick Disconnect Harness (Electronics)
I bought this to be able to connect and quick disconnect a solar panel I'm using for a portable solar power setup. Adding the proper connectors to splice wires together was all it took to add this connector in and it works great. It works great for my needs!

5.0 out of 5 stars motor cycle battery saver, July 26, 2013
This review is from: CES 10 Gauge 2 Pin Quick Disconnect Harness (Electronics)
put these on my cycle battery to battery tender. used to buy a battery every couple of years, haven't bought one since i installed these. great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to create Quick Disconnect for charger, December 24, 2012
This review is from: CES 10 Gauge 2 Pin Quick Disconnect Harness (Electronics)
Used this to adapt my solar charger from permanent tie down to easily removable. I use a small solar charger to keep my travel trailer (TT) battery alive. Just connect and go.

PRO

Inexpensive
Good gauge size for wiring
works with my Battery Tender Ring that is connected to my TT Battery.

Cons:

None

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for 10 amps or less. Make sure they do not warm up, December 3, 2013
68redcedar (Near the ocean) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CES 10 Gauge 2 Pin Quick Disconnect Harness (Electronics)
Why bother with 10awg wire if the connection cannot pass the same current without heating?

See that little detent/ finger grip in the photo?
Mine did not come with that. It looks just like the units I bought from allelectronics years ago, and almost every single plug/connector has given me serious issues at one point or another.

These do fit a bit tighter than those. I don;t know that I'll ever use them, I just do not trust this connector for anything more than 12 amps at 12 volts.

I got some Anderson powerpoles rated for 30 amps. 12awg wire barely fit inside, but that connector can pass 25 amps all day long without getting warm.

I wish I didn;t buy these, but won't make Amazon take them back, i knew this type of connector was inadequate and took a chance that these would be much better built than my previous units which have been serious disappointments.

I see no signs that they are, and am not going to put them onto any device which can pull more than 10 amps.

5.0 out of 5 stars MustHave, August 9, 2013
This review is from: CES 10 Gauge 2 Pin Quick Disconnect Harness (Electronics)
Top quality, prompt delivery. A must for professional installations. Good range of gage selection and easy to apply. Recommend highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well constructed connectors that should be very durable., March 4, 2012
This review is from: CES 10 Gauge 2 Pin Quick Disconnect Harness (Electronics)
I have used and been disappointed by lighter constructed connectors however, these are much more rugged and well constructed to last and not pull apart after many connect/disconnect. Well pleased and highly recommend this product. I purchased these to install in line on my on board battery tenders for my vehicles. I clipped the power wires from charger to battery and soldered these connectors in line with shrink tubing for insulation. This way, when I am not plugged in to household current, I can unplug these slip connectors and break connection between the on board charger and the battery reducing the risk of the charger draining the battery should it malfunction. These connectors do the job nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solar Electric System Connector., February 24, 2012
This review is from: CES 10 Gauge 2 Pin Quick Disconnect Harness (Electronics)
I sue it with flexible folding solar (photo voltaic) panel electric system. The 10 gauge wire helps reduce line loss. I have different lengths of connecting cables that I use depending on how far the panel is away from where the battery and loads are.

Rate and Discover Movies