Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Outdoor Deals on HTL

on November 29, 2011
Thyroid issues made coloring my hair a joke so I gave up 2 years ago and decided to grow out the gray. As the gray grew out I discovered it yellowed and looked dingy easily. I remembered the bluing products of yester year and went hunting for something- anything that would help. These products work wonders!!! My gray looks soft and silver not dingy at all. Going with your gray in your 50's takes courage- this product really helps to make a difference. I have actually had people stop me in stores and parking lots to compliment my hair something new and exciting for me!
on February 17, 2011
Both shampoo and conditioner are violet hair toners. And this is the reason they work. They don't remove the yellow tint but cover hair with a thin layer of violet colour, which makes hair look less yellowish. Because both products are toners it is important to follow the instructions and leave them on the hair for several minutes.
I liked the overall result, although my nails were toned during the process (not that bad thing, as they look a bit whiter and bluish tint washed out in 1 day). I don't like the consistence of these products, especially the conditioner: it's too liquid.
These products work just fine for dyed and naturally light hair, but there is almost no effect on henna treated hair.
on May 5, 2013
I have dark, steel gray hair, streaked with bands of silver white. I rather like my gray hair when the white streaks are actually white, so I've used generic versions of Clairol "Shimmer Lights" for several years. This month, I decided to pay a few extra dollars, try the "real thing" and save myself a trip to the beauty supply store.

"Shimmer Lights" along with all of the other "toner" shampoos I've tried did what it said it would do. It added some light purple tinting to my hair. Normally, the tinting makes my white streaks look whiter. However, "Shimmer Lights" did quite a bit of tinting with one application. My white hair actually looked darker than normal after using it. No yellowing visible anymore, which was good, but the white was blending in more with the steel gray. I don't mind the "look", the hair looks more uniform now, and I suspect the dramatic white streaks will be back again after a few washings. I'm just mentioning the heavier tinting for women that want to avoid actually darkening their hair.

Several reviewers have complained that the conditioner doesn't condition. I suspect what they really mean is that "Shimmer Lights" doesn't moisturize. It is a very light, non-oily conditioner. My hair isn't particularly dry, so it worked well enough for me. My hair dried out smooth and was easy to comb, which is really all I need from a conditioner. People with dry hair might prefer a thicker, moisturizing conditioner.

I only have one real complaint, in common with a lot of other reviewers. "Shimmer Lights" smells like my Grandmother's perfume. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, a heavy, old-fashioned rose scent, with some musk, perhaps patchouli. My grandmother had sachet packets in her closets that made all her linens smell just like this shampoo. It's not a nasty smell, in fact it was probably considered a very nice scent at one time, but the association with old lady is rather disconcerting for those of us who slipping into Grandma age. I wouldn't mind looking like my Grandma, she was a lovely woman and I'll be fortunate to age as gracefully as she aged, but I'd really rather not smell like her!
on August 19, 2011
This is my favorite shampoo/conditioner for blondes so far! It is great for my highlights, whenever I used it my highlights are whiter and briter. It also smells awesome-- wheniever i used it people ask me about my hair and say it smells great. The only con is that the conditioner could be a little more "conditioning"-- whenever i used it i always apply a thicker more moisturizing conditioner on top of the shimmer lights.
on September 9, 2011
My hair is naturally dark brown so any type of blonde i dye it goes brassy after the first couple of washes.. so when i dyed my dark brown hair dark ash blonde with champagne highlights throughout i was determined to keep the brass out. After the first wash with this shampoo and conditioner i saw a slight but positive difference. i only left it on for 2 minutes the first time because of other reviews claiming it gave there hair a blue-purple tint. so i was a little fearful to leave on the full 5 minutes plus the 2-3 minutes the conditioner says. I've been using it for over a week now and i love it! its cut alot of the brass out of my hair giving me a very subtle natural looking ash tint to my hair..i love my hair color more now after using this than right after i colored it.. the reason i held back on giving it 5 stars is because the smell is AWFUL!! a VERY strong dollar store perfume smell. which bothers my allergies for a few hours after using it each time but i love the results to much to stop using.
on December 30, 2013
I was skeptical at first but this stuff LEGIT WORKS.
I did a terrible dyejob, my hair was a really brassy orangishblonde. So then I was an idiot and tried to DIY a toner to bring out different hues(food coloring & vinegar). That was ANOTHER fail, it ended up pink. So finally I bought this and I'm back to my usual blonde bombshell self. It works wonders, seriously! BUY IT!
on January 21, 2011
I was happy after I used the shampoo and conditioner because it does really take the golden hue out of blonde hair. The drawbacks are that the smell is strong and it does leave hair a little tangled but nothing a little leave in conditioner cant help. I do recommend this product for its hue correction
on September 13, 2015
I've been using this for a while but just noticed the negative reviews and thought I was take the time to add my own.

There are a lot of mentions of this being very drying, both in the negative reviews and in the Q&A section. I use this daily - both shampoo and conditioner - and do not have any issues with dryness. My hair is on the oily side and very fine (which is why I wash it daily). About two and a half years ago, I got a wild hair and decided to take my dark blonde hair to a light ash blonde. I colored my hair myself, using a box of all over color, every 3-4 weeks for a year. This pair kept any of my natural red tones from showing through. After a year, I tired of the upkeep and started gradually working it back to my natural color. I've kept a few highlights, so I've continued to use this to keep the brassy tones out of the highlights. As my first few grays are starting to show up, I'm giving up on the highlights, but will continue to use this to keep those grays from looking yellow.

If your hair is highly processed, or you use other products and tools that can dry your hair, I recommend trying this 1-2 times a week, and making sure you use deep conditioner whenever needed.
on May 22, 2013
As a rule I am fine with Clairol products. These two are very disappointing. I agree that the conditioner does nothing. It just makes a mess and leaves my dry hair drier. What is the worst is that both products smell like very cheap "lavender" soap. And you can't get the smell out. It stayed in my hair for days. The scent was so bad it made my eyes water and I sneezed like crazy. I finally just washed them both out with Herbal Essence Hydralicious, and then put in John Frieda shampoo and conditioner for blonde hair. I was hoping that the Clairol for Tinted Hair would tone down the bad dye job left from the nightmare L'Oreal Feria Ombre experience I had. I used these several times in hopes they would help. I put up with the cheap, old-lady "lavender" soap smell just in hopes that the purple would tone the red down a bit. Waste of time. I finally had waited 4 weeks since the dye job distaster with Feria, so overdyed with Garnier Light Ash Blonde 91, and that helped more. I still have red so may order the Fudge Purple. I only ordered these because the Fudge Purple takes so long to get here and I needed something right away. I should have bought the Fudge Purple and just had a bit more patience. You get what you pay for. I would not recommend these unless you have no allergies or chemical sensitivities; and if you don't care if your conditioner makes your hair feel like dry straw hay.
on April 16, 2012
This product did wonders to tone out the brassiness left behind by drug store box color (blonde). I've also used it after professional color to keep my blonde color bright. It smells absolutely wonderful and leaves your hair smelling fresh even after day 2.