Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on March 17, 2011
I bought the 2009 Cybex Topaz in Indigo. First off, the color of the stock photos is a bit misleading, since this is basically a black (or darkest, darkest blue indistinguishable from black) with blue accents. It's still very attractive looking, but if the color is important it might be worth trying to see this product in person before buying it.

What I liked about this stroller:

*Very tall handles. I'm 5'8" and my husband is 6'2", so this was important to us. It would be very difficult to kick the back of this stroller while walking. The handles also extend an additional 2 inches, so that it can be even taller. However, if you are shorter this might be a problem, since the handles ARE very tall, and might be too tall for you. My mother is 5'4" and felt like the handles were a bit on the tall side, although she didn't find it too bad.

*Easy, one-handed recline mechanism. To recline the stroller, you just pinch together on a white plastic clip on the back of the seat and pull the seat to the level you want. To unrecline it, you just push forwards.

*Easy locking swivel wheels. For normal maneuvering, the front wheels swivel so you can steer easily. Unlike some other stroller with locking swivel wheels, to lock these you just step down on the locking mechanism, and the wheels automatically lock into place. Many other strollers require you to first line the wheels in place, which can be a complete pain if you're out walking and need to kneel down in the dirt to lock the wheels.

*Easy-to-operate legrest. The legrest can be put down by pinching the sides of the legrest together and pressing down. To bring it up, just pull and it pops back into place. Super easy.

*The harness adjusts like a carseat harness, so you press down at the base of the harness straps and just pull until they're as loose as you want. To tighten, you press on the button and pull the excess strap until it's tighter. Fabulous particularly if you have different children who ride in the stroller, or for children in the winter when heavy coats need to be on/off.

What I didn't like:

*For an umbrella stroller, this is HEAVY! It weighs about 16 lbs, which is the same as many more full-featured strollers that come with cupholders, larger baskets, larger sunshades, sturdier frames. We bought this as a travel stroller, thinking it would be good for public transportation, and were very disappointed. The stroller also does not come with a should strap, just a carry handle, so you would have to carry it (and it's pretty long and unwieldy) in one hand rather than slinging it over your shoulder like many other models.

*The detachable belly bar is flimsy and feels like it would warp very easily.

*The handles are made of a hard white plastic that is not very comfortable to push, gets all sweaty, and scratches easily. We kept this stroller about a month and used it fairly infrequently, and the handles were already starting to show quite a bit of wear. The wheels are made of the same material, and were also starting to look pretty dingy after just a few weeks of use.

*The included headrest/shoulder pad is oddly shaped and appeared to irritate my daughter. While the idea is nice, in practice it would be more convenient to have separate shoulder pads and headrest.

Bottom line: this is a decent stroller with some nice features, but not worth the money. If you want a Cybex stroller, the Cybex Onyx has essentially every feature of the Topaz except the belly bar and adjustable height handles, costs less, weighs less, and comes with a shoulder strap.
on October 10, 2011
This stroller has some really great features - what I like the most is the look of it - it's really eye-catching! That, & it's basically an upgrade from a $15 umbrella stroller from walmart which is all I really need in a stroller to begin with (but can't use until closer to 1yr). It folds down & fits in any corner, fits easily in our car's trunk with luggage & a pack n' play, & features the ability to open, close, & carry with only 1 free hand. BONUS! It reclines ALL the way flat, so if your baby falls asleep in the stroller you can recline it into a mini-bed, basically.

Yes, it's heavier & way more expensive than the cheapy umbrellas (although I found mine for $90), but it tells you exactly how much it weighs in the description. I live on the 3rd floor of an apt. & I can handle carrying this plus my 5mo old, although it is a challenge. I think it is far more maneuverable when folded than other strollers I have used. I work in childcare & have used the City Mini Jogger, 2 different Graco models, UPPAbaby Vista & Baby Jogger High Performance)

Some cons for me: the storage space is too small & although it says you can use it with infants, I had to use an additional infant cushion insert to keep him in place. Also, the lock mechanism can't latch when it's in the folded position, so you have to either lay it on the ground (wheels down) or prop it against something, which is a pain.

OVERALL I love it though. I got this because for me I just wanted something substantial that could please some more specific needs, so the looks reeled me in & the rest sold itself. I got this in Chili, & I thought the color matched the photo perfectly, & it really is sharp looking.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2011
this is really a great umbrella stroller, i actually have two of them. its so lite weight and easy to fold up and put in car. and I love that it comes with a rain cover.