5.0 out of 5 stars Used this in the Army
I've relied on this instrument in pass or fail land navigation tests that have covered several kilometers in thick woods. I have used it at night for the same tests. It is accurate, and soldiers depend on it for mission critical tasks.

Published on August 27, 2010 by Joseph Nicolay

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that rugged.....
The sighting cover and rear sight tore off mine. It has been exposed to a lot of seawater which is obviously not its intended environment. Even after rinsing in a faucet and letting it dry open on a countertop after each use it broke and lasted about a year. There's no doubt that this would be an excellent land navigational tool that can hold up to some rainwater but keep...
Published 12 months ago by Michael J. Covino

5.0 out of 5 stars Used this in the Army, August 27, 2010
This review is from: CMMG Phosphorescent Lensatic Compass Clam Pack (Sports)

I purchased the one with the luminescent paint because it is 1/3 the price of the tritium gas lume (which has an 10 year life), is identical in every other respect, and is marginally brighter. I cannot emphasize that enough. I have compared them both together. The lume paint only needs a 2 second charge from a flashlight directly over the dial, and you've got a very strong glow that will last for several minutes.

The compass is a dry compass, with a sapphire bearing that gives little resistance in turning. There is a 1:50,000 scale on the side for determining distances from 0 to 5000 meters. The entire dial turns with the directional arrow which is awesome. The dial has both degrees and mils/milliradians (for field artillery). An outer, independent bezel has a luminescent azimuth marker that can be turned to the desired degree, while a stationary line remains under it. So, you simply turn the bezel to the degree sought, orient the compass so that North falls on the bezel marker, and walk following the stationary line.

This compass is designed with international travel in mind -some are only made for zone 1 use. It is waterproof, and uses a copper shell instead of a fluid to stabilize the movement of the turning dial. It can also be used in extreme temperatures.

The really nice feature on this compass type is that you can hold it to your cheek and look through a directional peep sight while simultaneously glancing through a magnifying glass that does a magnificent job of displaying the dial -both day and night.

I've seen these things dropped and tossed into boxes, and they are durable.

Bottom Line: This compass is one of my favorite outdoor tools along with a set of good binoculars.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic compass, June 23, 2010
Kevin (suffolk NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CMMG Phosphorescent Lensatic Compass Clam Pack (Sports)
This is one of the best compasses for the money. Very rugged, light, comes with a pouch and a very long lanyard. My friend is a Army Ranger and this is the same compass that he was issued, except it doesn't have the tritium for illumination, but I will not be doing any nighttime trekking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Same compass as tritium model, but more common sense, September 5, 2011
W. Gobel (Charleston, SC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CMMG Phosphorescent Lensatic Compass Clam Pack (Sports)
You've seen the other reviews; this is a first-rate compass that will not disappoint in any way. My point: you don't need the tritium unless you're working on black ops navigating around an enemy at night. Most campers and hikers camp for the night .. don't throw away your money for tritium. This compass can be made to glow every bit as brightly as the tritium model by holding a flashlight to the dial for a few seconds! Look at the prices: the tritium model is thirty bucks or more above the price of this compass! Once the tritium decays, that's it; no more glow. It's the very same high-quality compass .. but for people cursed with common sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Authentic US issue, September 22, 2010
This review is from: CMMG Phosphorescent Lensatic Compass Clam Pack (Sports)
Being a former Marine, I'm partial to most military issued gear due to it's abilty to hold up under most situations. While you may spend a little more to get one, an item such as this compass will last a lifetime. It works perfectly, and the carry pouch attaches to webbing, Molle gear, or even a belt or strap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great compass, April 17, 2011
This review is from: CMMG Phosphorescent Lensatic Compass Clam Pack (Sports)
The compass is exactly as described: Sturdy and functional. The compass has a solid feel to it. All moving parts are tight and the materials seem of good quality. I use this for hiking and I'm no expert, but found sighting with this compass easy once I learned technique. I knew I didn't want to over spend, but I didnt want a POS. I have no regret after selecting this item. Seller did a good job of shipping and packaging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cammenga Compass., September 3, 2010
This review is from: CMMG Phosphorescent Lensatic Compass Clam Pack (Sports)
The best compass I ever worked with. Very accurate and extremely durable. I recommend this to anyone from casual walkers to extreme outdoors or adventure seekers. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very high quality compass that finds direction quickly, October 30, 2010
This review is from: CMMG Phosphorescent Lensatic Compass Clam Pack (Sports)
I have used at least a dozen compasses over the years. Nothing compares to the speed at which this compass stabilizes. I purchased this compass without tritium because I use it mostly for backpacking, hiking and letterboxing and would definitely have a flashlight with me if I was using it in the dark. I anticipate getting a lifetime of use from this rugged compass. This compass does weigh more than the average plastic device, but I will gladly carry this when I am ultralight backpacking because it is worth the weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, April 12, 2011
This review is from: CMMG Phosphorescent Lensatic Compass Clam Pack (Sports)
Ive missed my military compass for years and not wanting to spend too much for the Tritium version this seemed a good compromise. Other then lacking the Tritium this compass is identical to the military issue one I learned on and works flawlessly. Took quite awhile to get here but I settled for the slow shipping but its exactly what I wanted. Was happy to see the carry pouch is the same US army issue pouch with alice clip to connect to my ruck. Thank you!

4.0 out of 5 stars One great wilderness navigation tool, October 12, 2012
Arizona "W" (Southwestern Deserts) - See all my reviews
No more bubbles!

I have two other high end compasses that I truly liked but they both got bubbles at moderate altitudes. One just kept growing and growing, never going away. They replaced it but the bubble just came back. The other got bubbles easily and they bumped and affected the needle but they did go away at low altitudes on warm days. The Cammenga is a dry compass so no bubbles possible but it still dampens very quickly.

I was a little anxious over the fact that the Cammenga has no declination adjustment but I don't have any idea how they could accomplish that with a rotating card compass like this. It proved to be no problem as I adjusted to the compass over several trips. In many cases it doesn't matter at all if you are just marking your camp, vehicle or a special place and return to it with your noted bearings.

This is a very accurate compass and easy to read. I find it much faster to acquire a bearing. There is no messing around with a rotating bezel while sighting. You simply sight your objective, look through the lens without moving your head and read the angle in mils or degrees. I was new to mils but I now like them better than degrees and have set up my GPS to also read in mils. It is just a different number to write down in the pocket notebook. Girlfriend runs the GPS and I run the compass but we both know the other instrument very well and switch off occasionally. Its best for everyone to know navigation during off trail travels.

It is a little heavier than most compasses but this piece of navigational gear has a precise and high quality feel to it. It will not electronically die on you like is possible with a GPS system and its batteries. I like following bearings from a compass more than from a GPS and that is where the rotating bezel comes in on the Cammenga. It is not for sighting bearings but for marking and following bearings on this compass, simple and easy.

The straight edge on the Cammenga works well with map work. After you orient the map to north you can draw or measure angles. A UTM measuring tool with protractor is a good idea and I keep one in the back of my pocket notebook. A longer, non-magnetic straight edge is good to have along as well.

The only downside is there is no mirror so you can see the fool who is lost. ;)

Seriously, I like this compass so much that I have retired my others.

5.0 out of 5 stars The real deal, April 5, 2011
This review is from: CMMG Phosphorescent Lensatic Compass Clam Pack (Sports)
From the moment I took it out of the package, I knew this thing wasn't gonna break on me. It glows bright after just a few seconds of light from a flashlight, and is easy to use and read. No complaints. It even comes with a durable carrying case and a belt clip.

CMMG Phosphorescent Lensatic Compass Clam Pack