5.0 out of 5 stars Best Polish EVER, but don't forget the rubbing alcohol...
Published on January 6, 2011 by Michelle

2.0 out of 5 stars This is a very SHEER polish, required 5 coats before I couldn't see through it anymore :(
I am disappointed in this color. I was so excited for the new spring colors! I like pastels and I thought this "grapefruit sparkle" was going to be a nice shimmery light lavender color based on the one photo they had available in this product page. I was assuming the picture was accurate since there were no previous reviews and there was no description of the polish I...
Published 24 months ago by luv2shibas

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Polish EVER, but don't forget the rubbing alcohol..., January 6, 2011
Michelle (Lorton, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CND Shellac Color Coat with UV3 Technology, Top Coat (Health and Beauty)
Shellac is a UV light cured gel polish that lasts about two weeks. I have used OPI's Axxium gel polish and it destroyed my nails. I now use Shellac. This top coat goes on easily and cures quickly under the UV lamp. TO HARDEN AFTER CURING, USE HIGH PROOF RUBBING ALCOHOL TO CLEAN EACH NAIL. IF YOU DON'T DO THIS THE NAIL WILL BE STICKY. One item of mention is that to remove you need to use an acetone nail "wrap" for about 20 min to get the polish to come off easily. I make my own "wraps" by soaking cotton balls with acetone, placing the ball on my nail and covering with a 4 inch square of aluminum foil. Wait 20 minutes and the polish peels off like magic with no nail damage. Although this system takes more time compared to regular polish, it is long wearing under harsh conditions. The only reason you can't get more than two weeks out of a single coat of polish is because your nails will grow out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the gel polish!, September 14, 2011
I ordered all my UV polishes and the UV lamp from Amazon. I can't believe salons charge $30-$40 a pop for a gel manicure, that I can now do at home for free!

Edit: Having now used my UV polishes and lamp numerous times, I have to say I love the gel polishes! It took me a few tries to get my manicure perfect, but I'm a pro now (I think). Some key points:

- The base coat/polish/top coat will not dry without the UV lamp. This is great, because if you screw up a nail you can just wipe it off and start over. Also, you can run the brush over the nail as many times as necessary to smooth the polish without worrying about it drying/clumping. Also, be sure to remove any excess polish you get on your skin before you cure with the lamp.

- The gel polishes are great for fixing a split/broken nail! Whereas before, if I split a nail, I had to cut it off, now I can mend the split with the gel polish. This stuff is strong and dries hard and essentially repairs the nail until the split grows out. HUGE plus for me as I am always breaking nails

- Sometimes I get bored with the shellac colors and want to use my OPI or China Glaze polishes, but still want the strength of the gel polish. I found I can use the UV base coat, cure for 30 sec., then put the UV top coat on over it (cure for 2 min). After it's cured, I use rubbing alcohol to remove the sticky layer. I now have a strong, clear, gel base coat. I can now apply my other polish and then top off with my regular top cat. Fantastic! And it seems my regular polish lasts longer on my nails (maybe it sticks to the gel better?)

Anyhow, hope these tips help! If you are paying for gel polish at a salon, you really need to stop and buy the lamp/polishes!

5.0 out of 5 stars chip free nail polish, October 17, 2010
I bought a UV light here on Amazon and do my own CND shellac. Expensive investment up front but salons get a premium for this service and it is no harder than just painting your nails. With the CND Shellac system I get two weeks of perfect, chip-free wear. Check out the wattage that shellac requires and get a light. It does not need to be the "official" CND light.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE Shellac, August 21, 2011
I love Shellac polishes! With a steady hand and proper cure time (read the directions, duh) in the UV light, these polishes make for the best manicures I've ever had - much less done myself without paying a salon!! My nails grow pretty fast, so my Shellac manicures last about two weeks - and the only reason I have to re-do them is because you can see my nail beds, not because it's chipped. If it chips within a week, I know I did something wrong with curing or removing the air-inhibited layer.
In addition, the Wildfire color is AMAZING!!! So sassy and classy at the same time, perfect with a little black dress and for work. I have super pale skin so prior to this color I always thought a bold red was too much for me...no longer! LOVE how this looks.
My cautions are:
Don't get the polish all over your fingers. Clean up any messes BEFORE you cure it - otherwise you'll end up with edges that catch on clothes and towels, your manicure won't last as long or look as nice, and cleaning up after the fact is harder than just having a Q-tip with acetone handy to wipe up any polish that's on your cuticle or the sides of your fingers before you set it in the UV.
Removing your manicure at the end of its days DOES dry out your nails! Let's be real, a resin that requires UV curing is going to require some heavy duty chemicals to remove it - and acetone will weaken and dry your nails. Just be knowledgeable about the products you're using and what they will do to your skin and nails - another duh moment. After using acetone and a cuticle pusher to remove your manicure, WASH YOUR HANDS and use some cuticle oil, then don't paint your nails again right away. Give a couple days for them to recover, keep them filed and use hand lotion. Alternatively, do all of your manicures back-to-back but make sure to wash and moisturize after acetone use.
Basically, just know the product you're using, follow directions, and you too can have salon-perfect manicures without dropping $35+ every few weeks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love CND Shellac Products, April 14, 2011
If you want to try your own natural manicure - buy the CND Shellac base coat, CND Shellac in Negligee and Cream Puff and the CND Shellac top coat. Don't forget that you will need a UV lamp as well to cure these products... They look great together! I purchased this system to try at home (those $40 mainures at the salon were really adding up!) and I'm very happy with the results. Yes it is an investment in product, but it will pay for itself in a few applications. I had very thin nails that split and now they are long and look beautiful.. Not to mention I am thrilled how natural this product looks on..

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, color not true to picture., March 3, 2011
If you are not familiar with Shellac, this is NOT regular nail polish. This is a UV nail polish, it is a hybrid of nail polish and gel applications. It goes on like nail polish but must be cured under a UV lamp. I prefer a natural looking painted nail (not something that looks like tips or super thick), Shellac is what I've been waiting for. It looks like regular nail polish, but has the strength and protection of gel nails. It also does not damage your natural nail - if removed properly!

Perhaps the most important thing to know about shellac nail colors is the colors often do not look like the color on the bottle. I'm not sure why they have the opaque bottles, but its really hard to tell what the color is going to look like without trying it on. Shellac Tropix is a perfect example of this problem - the bottle looks like an orangey-red (similiar to OPI's Cajun Shrimp - one of my personal favorite colors). However, it is not very red at all - it does have orange tones, but is much more orange-pink then it is orange-red. It is a beautiful color, great for Spring and summer. So as much as I love the color, only 4 stars because the color of the bottle does not do it justice.

I am not at all affiliated with this website, but they have pictures of almost all of the CND shellac colors on real nails so you can see what you are buying: [...] I highly recomend you see the color here or in person before purchasing, unless you really like to be surprised.

Also, please know if your doing shellac at home, you will need: CND Shellac Base and Top Coat, and a UV Lamp in addition to a Shellac color like Tropix.

5.0 out of 5 stars UV nail polish AWESOME!, December 28, 2010
Nina Kinnon (Virginia Beach, VA. USA) - See all my reviews
Shellac is wonderful, and stays on like a dream. Even my FIRST try (and I'm not a pro) I got it perfect. But yes, of course you need a UV light to cure it...don't you read the description of what you are purchasing if the nail polish is $25???
It's been on a week, and not ONE chip or nick, not even right after I put it on and curing it, I washed my hair the kids and got ready to go out, not ONE nick...so happy!!!!
If you can afford the UV curing light (don't need the CND brand, just the Thermal Spa U/V gel light nail dryer will work perfectly), base coat, top coat, and a color polish (total cost will run about $160-180 initially) then you will adore this Shellac nail polish. Hey, it costs about $40 plus tip at the nail salon per visit, so big savings after your 4th or 5th application at home.
Just remember to use an alcohol swab on your cured top coat when all done, to take the tacky residue off your nail polish, and will be hard and cured and shiny underneath. Basically read about what you're buying and how to use it before purchasing. Be a smart shopper people! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Shellac Fedora - Great color!!, February 18, 2011
I am not a nail professional. I just bought the UV light and the shellac top, base & Fedora color. I watched videos before doing it and learned that this color HAS to be applied very thin. This is 1 of 2 colors (the other being a whitish color, I think they said it was called Cream Puff??) that will try to bubble or "shrink" when applied. What I mean by shrink is that even if you entirely cover the name and cap the end edges of the nail, you will see it retract from the nail edge and look as if you didn't put polish there. This DID happen to me, but after I applied the 2nd coat, it was not noticeable. So don't freak out, just continue with the rest of the process. As I said, I LOVE this color & do NOT regret buying it, but I wanted to pass on the information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty- but be aware of what you are purchasing..., March 23, 2012
I own several colors of shellac and absolutely love the CND shellac nail system. VIP gold status is a beautiful color - but be aware of what you are purchasing! This color is absolutely clear with gold micro glitter. It is great if you want clear polish with some extra flair, or its beautiful layered on top of other shellac colors. If you are looking for an opaque polish, or something that looks gold - this isn't the color you are looking for. I love it layered over my other colors because it is enough of a change that it feels like a new color - so I feel like I doubled my color options by purchasing the VIP gold status.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE CND Shellac Tropix!, July 15, 2010
I highly recommend this color and the Shellac polishes. So far Tropix is my favorite Shellac color for summer. I was expecting more of a coral red, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that Tropix is actually more of a coral pink on my nails. The Shellac polishes are super shiny and they really do last a long time without chipping (plus with the UV lamp there is no dry time!). This stuff is great. You will need to get the Shellac Base Coat and Top Coat and a 36 Watt UV lamp to use it (any 36 Watt UV nail lamp for Gels will work- mine was 15.99 plus shipping from Hong Kong!) Another tip: skip the CND remover wraps and just use tinfoil. :)

CND Shellac Color Coat with UV3 Technology, Top Coat