5.0 out of 5 stars Best Polish EVER, but don't forget the rubbing alcohol...
Published on January 6, 2011 by Michelle

2.0 out of 5 stars CND Shellac
Even though I used the UV Gel light for curing, this polish chipped after one day, not sure what the problem is.
Published 20 months ago by Eunice S Rice

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Polish EVER, but don't forget the rubbing alcohol..., January 6, 2011
Michelle (Lorton, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CND Shellac Color Coat with UV3 Technology, Top Coat (Misc.)
Shellac is a UV light cured gel polish that lasts about two weeks. I have used OPI's Axxium gel polish and it destroyed my nails. I now use Shellac. This top coat goes on easily and cures quickly under the UV lamp. TO HARDEN AFTER CURING, USE HIGH PROOF RUBBING ALCOHOL TO CLEAN EACH NAIL. IF YOU DON'T DO THIS THE NAIL WILL BE STICKY. One item of mention is that to remove you need to use an acetone nail "wrap" for about 20 min to get the polish to come off easily. I make my own "wraps" by soaking cotton balls with acetone, placing the ball on my nail and covering with a 4 inch square of aluminum foil. Wait 20 minutes and the polish peels off like magic with no nail damage. Although this system takes more time compared to regular polish, it is long wearing under harsh conditions. The only reason you can't get more than two weeks out of a single coat of polish is because your nails will grow out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the gel polish!, September 14, 2011
I ordered all my UV polishes and the UV lamp from Amazon. I can't believe salons charge $30-$40 a pop for a gel manicure, that I can now do at home for free!

Edit: Having now used my UV polishes and lamp numerous times, I have to say I love the gel polishes! It took me a few tries to get my manicure perfect, but I'm a pro now (I think). Some key points:

- The base coat/polish/top coat will not dry without the UV lamp. This is great, because if you screw up a nail you can just wipe it off and start over. Also, you can run the brush over the nail as many times as necessary to smooth the polish without worrying about it drying/clumping. Also, be sure to remove any excess polish you get on your skin before you cure with the lamp.

- The gel polishes are great for fixing a split/broken nail! Whereas before, if I split a nail, I had to cut it off, now I can mend the split with the gel polish. This stuff is strong and dries hard and essentially repairs the nail until the split grows out. HUGE plus for me as I am always breaking nails

- Sometimes I get bored with the shellac colors and want to use my OPI or China Glaze polishes, but still want the strength of the gel polish. I found I can use the UV base coat, cure for 30 sec., then put the UV top coat on over it (cure for 2 min). After it's cured, I use rubbing alcohol to remove the sticky layer. I now have a strong, clear, gel base coat. I can now apply my other polish and then top off with my regular top cat. Fantastic! And it seems my regular polish lasts longer on my nails (maybe it sticks to the gel better?)

Anyhow, hope these tips help! If you are paying for gel polish at a salon, you really need to stop and buy the lamp/polishes!

5.0 out of 5 stars chip free nail polish, October 17, 2010
I bought a UV light here on Amazon and do my own CND shellac. Expensive investment up front but salons get a premium for this service and it is no harder than just painting your nails. With the CND Shellac system I get two weeks of perfect, chip-free wear. Check out the wattage that shellac requires and get a light. It does not need to be the "official" CND light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't live without it anymore!, April 10, 2011
I'm giving 5 stars to the whole Shellac system (Base Coat, Color Coat and Top Coat) as it only works when used together. I have very soft nails and they always brake up when they reach certain length, but since I've been using the shellac system my nails got stronger and look more beautiful then ever. I'm using the Negligee color as I like the natural look and I couldn't be more happy with the results. This system is not only for those who like to keep the nail polish beautiful for a minimum of 2 weeks, but also for those who like to let their nails grow longer and stronger. I'm so happy CND came up with this product! I can finally have beautiful nails as well!

I also wanted to mention how easy this system is to do it yourself. I've been doing them at home and I had absolutely no problem applying them. My nails look better then EVER!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast ship..., January 20, 2011
TigerLilyCo "tigerlily" (Dallas, TX United States) - See all my reviews
It helps if you apply a light coat of bonder on the nail bed. Then apply the Shellac base coat and cure. Then the colour coat and cure. Then apply the top coat and cure...turns out perfect every time! After finishing the top coat, you'll notice a slightly tacky finish on your nails. Take a lint free pad and soak it with 91% alcohol and rub it off. Voila! Perfection!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, September 22, 2011
This top coat is fantastic. Manicures do last a full two weeks, and then only need changing because the nail has grown out. I quite often use regular base coat, regular polish and this shellac top coat and my manicure still lasts the full two weeks. I dry the base and color coats with UV light just as I would with shellac. Since I have favorite colors in regular polish that I can't get in the shellac I'm thrilled that using them with this top coat works. Be sure your nail is clean and free of any oils before starting. After filing, cuticle removal, and scrubbing, I wipe with an alcohol swab before beginning base coat application. Dry the base 10 seconds, each color coat 2 minutes, and the top coat two minutes. I use regular alcohol swabs to remove the stickiness after top coat is dry, not the 90% recommended and it works perfect. To remove polish, use a cotton pad soaked in acetone, lay on nail and wrap in aluminum foil. Let set for 10 minutes. Awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!, June 4, 2011
I had my nails shellaced once at a salon and decided to look into the products. So far I have only used the top coat with regular nail polish. I got a small UV lamp on Amazon also and they work great together! My polish last for at least a week and I am very hard on my hands. I'm sure once I add the Shallac nail colors to my regimen they will last even longer. After baking your nails remember to buff them with rubbing alcohol.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, May 27, 2011
Just came back from the Salon where I spent $70 for mani/pedi, with shellac. Nice treat but not where I want to spend my money every month. I did nail gels in the 90's & already have a uv light for home use. I really liked the look of shellac. To be honest I can do a better job on my own. My tech didn't do a very good job of keeping the edges by cuticle neat so there is a slight ridge. I love my opi colors & shellac didn't seem to have what I like. After researching, I read you can use the shellac system with a shear color & then put your opi polish over the top. This gives you that gel base for long wearing. The poster even said she can remove her opi color with non acetone remover & change her polish & shellac stays. WIN WIN!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, April 26, 2011
Just ordered my first supply of CND products to do my own nails with shellac. I love it! The top coat is thicker than I thought, though, so I will order another bottle so that I don't run out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, July 13, 2011
Great product with great results. You have to be VERY careful when applying. If you get it on your cuticles it will leave a ridge and once it drys you can not fix it. My first time I wasn't careful enough and I had the ridges and it led to the paint lifting like a fake nail would. After realizing how precise you have to be, I am 100% happy!

CND Shellac Color Coat with UV3 Technology, Top Coat