Top positive review
128 people found this helpful
on July 20, 2012
Using the OTG adapter with my XOOM (ICS) is as easy as plugging the micro-USB end into the tablet's port and then connecting... whatever into the USB receptacle at the other end. Given the super-low price, getting the adapter is a no-brainer.
So far, I've done the following successfuly:
- Attached a flash drive, played video, music off it (very nice).
- Connected a keyboard. A little awkward because of all the wiring but it works.
- Connected a memory card reader and browsed through the photos stored there.
- Attached a USB hub and was able to access the flash drive and the memory card reader.
This worked well on my XOOM and friends using a Galaxy Tab and an Acer Iconia Tab 500 told me that it worked with their tablets as well. At this price, it's worth a try but keep in mind that it may take 'forever' or 3-4 weeks rather for you to get it. It took mine about 4 weeks to arrive.
If anyone is wondering why such a miracle add-on can be so inexpensive, here is the explanation. You are buying a micro-USB (plug) to Type-A USB (receptacle) converter wire, nothing more. The magic comes from USB OTG (USB On-the-Go) which is a USB 2.0 spec allowing devices such as a tablet to easily two-way communicate with peripherals such as flash drives or USB keyboards.
You should consider this:
* Your tablet will take advantage of the interface IF it supports USB OTG
* It's possible that not all the USB-connected devices will work because both ends need to understand USB OTG
* Similar adapters are likely to work