5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent optics, lightweight, easy to use
Published on February 13, 2011 by Mark B

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value
Bought this during an amazon lightning deal for $60. For that price, it's better than you should expect.

Pros:
*Optics are decent - not perfectly clear, some color abberation in blue-green around the edges of white objects, but, for spotting at the range, I expect it to be decent to resolve target hits to about 200 yards.

*Focus is a bit...
Published on July 30, 2011 by K. Vogt

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value, July 30, 2011
This review is from: BARSKA CO11502 20-60x60 Waterproof Straight Spotting Scope with Tripod (Sports)

Pros:

*Focus is a bit sticky, but works well.

*I found the eye relief to be on par with other scopes, regardless of price.

*Free tripod and bag - again, budget-minded accessories, but surprisingly well-built. Tripod feels to be steel, and while not nearly as stable as my manfrotto camera tripod, for a pocket tripod it's very usable. The bag is a simple nylon affair, but thick enough to provide protection.

Cons:

*Scope itself is very light - I'd question it's ruggedness and expect to have to baby it to avoid breaking it. The lightweight also makes it susceptible to vibration, making a bit harder to see.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent optics, lightweight, easy to use, February 13, 2011
This spotting scope is excellent. The optics are crystal clear and the unit is very light, even with the tripod attached. The zooming dial is on the eyepiece, and the focus dial is on the body of the scope. Both are easy to access while viewing. The tripod is solid, adjustable, and smooth. The scope comes with a lens cap for the front, and a long-screw-on cap for the eyepiece. The carry case has a divided compartment so that the scope and tripod don't come into contact with each other. The manual slips in easily too. The body of the scope has a rubberized feel and is solid. Excellent scope at a great price. Carrying case w/scope and tripod inside is 14"x6"x3", and weighs 2 lbs 10 oz.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, January 22, 2011
I'm not sure why no one has made a review on this product yet. Here's the quick report.

I wanted to buy a good spotting scope for when I go on nature hikes or whatever (I'm a bio undergrad at UCLA), so of course i'm interested in observing natural phenomenon. Anyways, looked online, found this one (but no one reviewed it yet), took a chance and ordered it. My logic was, it didn't have all the accessories that come with other spotting scopes, plus a cheap looking bag, cheap looking tripod, and had a high original listing price. So I figured, most of the quality was invested into the scope itself.

Ordered it, and got it within two days via amazon prime here at UCLA dorm.

Tried it out, at night, by viewing from within my dorm out the window to another window of a dorm about 100-150 meters away. It's extremely clear, at least in my opinion. Now take note that I have never had one of these devices before, and am brand new at the hobby or interest, so I have nothing to compare with. But to me, it seems extremely clear, at 20 magnification all the way up to 60 magnification (fine focus knob helps a lot). I mean, from 100-150 meters away, at night, I can read the evacuation plan in the other dormitory room. And I can recognize facial expressions very clearly (yeah, creeper status, I know). So, in my opinion, it's an awesome spotting scope, for a good price too. It's got an included lens cover, eyepiece cover, and is simple yet slick looking. Rubber coated, feels nice and light weight, yet feels like it's made of great quality. I'm really happy with this product. I can't wait to use it out on the field. Impressive device, overall. 5 stars based solely on the quality of the scope to price ratio, not anything else (tripod, bag, etc.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good scope for the money, March 4, 2011
I am giving this scope 4 stars because it's a good example of getting what you paid for. This scope is exactly what I need, and with the Gold Box deal the price was right. Even at the normal price, it's still a good deal. I can't give it five stars because the scope is just not a 5 star product.

The focus is good, not great, and it does not let in quite as much light as you would expect from optics this size. Also the tripod is stable but a bit flimsy. It is, however, good enough for my purposes and probably the best you will find for the price.

I had to think long and hard about the 4 vs 5 stars. I know many people belong to the school of thought that the star rating should reflect the overall value of the product. I belong to school that the number of stars should reflect the quality of the product. In my opinion; this is a four-star product at a three-star price. That is the best way I can put it.

On a side note: it was shipped to me requiring a signature. This was unnecessary and inconvenient. It did not say anything in the description, at the time I purchased it, about needing to sign for it. This is just FYI and does not affect my rating of the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bargain, March 5, 2011
Mjölnir (Salt Lake City, UT) - See all my reviews
This scope seems very durable and yet is lightweight. I haven't tested its waterproofness. The tripod it comes with is small but durable -- because of its size, you have to have something to set it up on if you don't want to lie on the ground to look through it. I bought a larger tripod so I could look through it standing up, which overall is better, but does cause a lot more vibration and shakiness in the image when I'm trying to adjust the focus and zoom. The zoom with this scope is great. I took it up on a hill and could see windmills over 25 miles away with it! For more practical viewing, the text on street signs can be read at 100 yards quite easily. So I expect it'll do just fine for what I primarily purchased it for: viewing targets at the shooting range. At the maximum zoom, light level does diminish noticeably, but not so much to make viewing difficult or unsatisfying. Focus is not crystal clear, but more than acceptable, especially for the price. At night the scope picks up enough light that you can do a little amateur stargazing with it -- on a dark, clear night and with careful focusing Jupiter's brown bands can be distinguished!

Overall, I am very satisfied with the value of this scope -- good performance for a great price! (I did get it on Lightning Deal for 20 bucks off, but even for Amazon's normal price I think it's a good deal.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Spotting Scope - Recommended, July 31, 2011
This Barska "Waterproof Spotting Scope" works great for seeing target hits at 200 yards. I was leery of Barska scopes since one of the lower-end models I had tried in past was too blurry to use at any real distance, but decided to take a chance when this one came up on an Amazon "Gold Box" sale. Here are my observations:

Pros -
+ Powerful; clear image well past 200 yards
+ Waterproof; while I haven't submerged this in a tub of water, the scope is rubberized and looks to be well sealed
+ Easy To Use; zoom and focus controls work well
+ Carrying Case; basic case with divider and shoulder strap to store scope and tripod

Cons -
- Weak Tripod; not very stable, will likely replace sometime in the near future

I am pleased with the performance and it was a very good value at the sale price!

Recommended!

CFH

5.0 out of 5 stars Barska CO11502 20-60x60 Waterproof Straight Spotting Scope with Tripod, March 2, 2011
First time purchase of a spotting scope and definitely very impressed with the quality of the scope for the price.

Scope is well built in a rubber housing, looks slick and simple from the outside. It is claimed to be waterproof though i do not want to attempt to fully immerse the scope in a tub of water to verify that claim. However i believe there is no need to worry if it rains while you are outdoors as the tight seals do not seem to let water seep through the housing. The optics quality is very great at 20X. Brightness is slightly reduced when magnification is increased to 60x, but this is normal of scopes with zoom functions. In daytime conditions, details such as building signs near the horizon can be read easily. I believe there should be no problems using this spotting scope in a shooting range.

The scope comes with a fixed leg tripod with a rubber mounting adapter so it does not scratch the bottom of your scope, build quality is sufficient if all you need is something to place your scope on. You would definitely need a tripod to have a shake-free and clear view on a good solid base. Rubber feet on the leg tips provide some grip but it still slides on smooth surfaces. Sticking the tripod into grass would be most ideal and dirt washes off easily.

Carrying case is adequate to carry the scope around easily, tripod and scope fits in snugly. Does not offer as much protection as a hard case would but it gets the job done.

Only thing to be aware is that you should not over tighten the eyepiece cover as you may accidentally move the a plastic part out of alignment where it shows you what magnification range you are at. The rubber lens cover in the front is non detachable unless you cut off the rubber attachment. It may get distracting with it hanging around while you are using, but it prevents the cover from being misplaced.

Overall, a lightweight and portable scope, with the features and good optics quality it you are definitely getting your monies worth.

4.0 out of 5 stars not bad for the price, March 14, 2011
this scope works great at the shooting range when you are able to sit down behind it and look down range. Being a straight design, it's uncomfortable if you are standing up and bending down. the eyepiece is a little small, so you really have to get your eye on it to see, and this is difficult to do with shooting glasses, or any glasses on. otherwise, works perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars An instant homerun for me out of the box, August 18, 2011
I was really impressed with this scope right out of the box. Waterproof, lightweight, nice feel to it with the rubbery exterior, sleek black look, gives you impression of ruggedness, but its compact with a smart carry bag plus tripod. 1 minute to set up on the nice light yet sturdy tripod. Flip/screw off the nice lens caps and tested at 20x to 60x without my glasses on. Perfectly focused on my very near sighted eyes in the entire mag range. Super clear I could easily see high detail on street lamps over 100 meters away. I had to come back and check the price $80!! Wow. Now the mag could be higher but for what you get here its just an amazing scope IMO. I looked long and hard at a happy medium that was low cost, lighter weight, moderate size, waterproof, not to extreme mag.. this totally works! If your on the fence just buy this. I'm so happy and satisfied with this scope quality, appearance, and general design. I think you will find it is high value for the price.

1.0 out of 5 stars I Cannot Recommend, September 20, 2012
Bought this on a special price and it was worth less than nothing as far as I'm concerned. The optic adjustments just didn't work. As soon as I tried to adjust out past the baseline of 20 the optics turned blurry on me. I had read other comments about this but thought just maybe it was one or two bad units. If that's the case I had bad unit #3.

I had to return using Amazons excellent return policy.

1 Star for Barska 20-60 and 5 Stars for Amazon Return Policy.