5.0 out of 5 stars For someone who hates w.o. vids, this one is actually great!
I normally cannot stand work out videos but knew I should do something besides walking to keep my fitness level up. I was pleasantly surprised by this video.
Published on November 13, 2007 by Elizabeth Davis

2.0 out of 5 stars Distracting Production
I was skeptical about this video, so I actually borrowed it from my local library. For fitness videos, before purchase (unless it's under $10), I recommend either finding a clip on the Internet, or borrowing it from the library before purchase. This one is one that I'm definitely glad I tried it before I bought it.

I"m sensitive to production. One thing I...
Published on July 9, 2011 by Q. Laura

5.0 out of 5 stars For someone who hates w.o. vids, this one is actually great!, November 13, 2007
This review is from: COMPLETE PREGNANCY FITNESS (DVD)
1. Erin O'Brien is not irritatingly peppy, but realistic and down to earth. There is very little excess dialogue, which I appreciated. She imparts just the right amount of info and throws in a few extras about physiology and anatomy, which I appreciated. Plus there are water and pee breaks! ( which I really needed)
2. The workout is probably best suited for someone who has done a few classes before and has at least a moderate level of fitness. But I suppose a beginner could simply watch it a few times before attempting if it were a bit too fast paced for them. She adds modifications for times when the heart rate is too high, which is nice. I thought at first it would be too easy for me, but oops. It got me! (in a good way, of course)
3. The workout is complete, I thought, especially given it's timeframe of only 40 minutes. That includes a short stretching session afterwards, which made me feel really good.
4. The production value was great -judicious amount of camera angle changes and fades, making it easy to copy her body mechanics. Simple set-an average, well lit living room. All the props she used were standard furniture. I had to make some small adaptations but all were easily accomplished.
5. Best of all-unobtrusive music, used mostly to provide rhythm. No trendy production, no silly distracting lyrics, just background percussion oriented music at a nice soft volume (Although I really dislike the music that plays for the menu, but that doesn't matter)
OVERALL: I highly recommend this work out video and look forward to using the post-natal DVD as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging, no-frills workout, March 28, 2008
This review is from: COMPLETE PREGNANCY FITNESS (DVD)
I'm a second time mommy-to-be who still runs and regularly does yoga and other prenatal workouts - I thought this workout would be easy but I was pleasantly surprised! The leg work (inner thigh and derriere) is especially good, and I find my muscles are still sore (in a good way) the following day. There is not nearly as much arm work as Karyne Steben's "Perfect Pregnancy Workout," so I alternate them. True, the electronic version of "Frere Jacques" that plays during the menu is grating, but the music during the workout is barely noticeable. I love the length of the workout, too - it's 40 minutes broken up into warmup, dynamic movement, floor work, and stretch and relaxation sections.

Other reviewers don't like the "homemade" feel of the production, but I do - Erin O'Brien is down to earth (no makeup, incorporates time for water and bathroom breaks), not overly peppy, but still encouraging and upbeat. She's also challenging - I find a lot of these prenatal workouts too coddling, I like being pushed. I found myself in a great mood after finishing this.

I have mentioned this in other reviews of pre- and postnatal workouts, but I have had two very easy pregnancies (so far) and a very easy first delivery and recovery. Two doctors attributed that to my exercise pre-, during, and postpregnancy. I am determined to exercise as much as I can for this pregnancy, too (my little guy seems to like it, too). Mommies to be - get out there and exercise! You will be so grateful you did! This is a great workout to get you going.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, July 26, 2007
This review is from: COMPLETE PREGNANCY FITNESS (DVD)
I highly recommend this video. I have been doing it off and on throughout my second and third trimesters and have not gotten bored with it at all (as compared with the FitMama video by Leisa Hart, which I find to be more suited for the extremely out of shape individual who likes lots of repetition and no variety). I think Erin's personality and energy make the video a pleasure, and you will get a great lower body workout (with some upper body stuff thrown in there). I've never actually tried the partner workout, but from watching it, I think it looks great also. This video is definitely worth buying, or at least checking out from your library to see if it's a good fit for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perspective from an unfit person :D, June 20, 2009
This review is from: COMPLETE PREGNANCY FITNESS (DVD)
Okay, so I wasn't a nut buff in excercise like a lot of people out there reviewing. My background is simple; I've been pretty lazy for the last year or so when it came to keeping in shape. When I found out I was pregnant, my doctor recommended that I get in to shape to help me and the baby. After researching, I decided to give O'Brien's course a go, as I am now in my 2nd trimester and past the nasties.

O'Brien is very spunky with a unique personality. She's very real and explains things very well. The camera work is a little differnt from standard videos, but I didn't find this distracting but more helpful in making sure I was doing things right. No moves were questionable, and she ofers modified versions of things if you're not quite up to speed yet. She also lets you know what you should and shouldn't do visually, as well for even allowing in bathroom and water breaks.

Intensity for a beginner that's out of shape: crazy! haha, I found that I couldn't even complete it, or keep up with pace my first few times, but this is okay, because I'm improving, getting into shape, and I feel great after the workouts! For those who were nuts about excersing, this may not be as intense but for those who've sat on their computer/couches like me, its great!

Also it has a partner helping routine on this disc, which me and my hubby do together. It is a nice touch I think because it lets daddy get to help in making sure things go great, and bonding of course! Good luck to all those trying to get in shape :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Pregnancy Workout, April 8, 2009
This review is from: COMPLETE PREGNANCY FITNESS (DVD)
I tried tons of different videos while I was pregnant, but ended up just doing this one each day. It was more challenging than the others but also short enough that I could make myself do it. When I delivered, the Doctor was amazed at what great shape I was in. I am now doing the postnatal workout which is great as well. I highly recommend this set, Erin is a wonderful instructor.

2.0 out of 5 stars Distracting Production, July 9, 2011
This review is from: COMPLETE PREGNANCY FITNESS (DVD)

I"m sensitive to production. One thing I like about my workout videos is being able to feel like I'm almost mirroring the person doing the video. This was immediately impossible with this video, as that their were schizophrenic cuts between even just one extension movement - home video to grainy film close-up to silhouette front shot - all in 5 seconds. I found this kind of production destabilizing when I was trying to balance.

The movements were also a little to quick to start at first. I take a bit of time to warm-up and get moving, and I felt like I was just being launched straight into needing to move quickly.

I wasn't impressed with this video at all, and returned it to my library as soon as I watched it. It may be something that suits other people who can get past the production value, and like the instant intensity, but if you're like me, definitely check out a few clips or try the video from the library before you buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most perfect #1 workout!!, April 3, 2009
This review is from: COMPLETE PREGNANCY FITNESS (DVD)
This set is the most perfect workout set! I started the prenatal when i was 5 months and it was exactly what i needed. You get everything you would ever want- stretching, cardio, and strength training! And the even better thing is the instructor is 7 months preggo! Now the postnatal was amazing! I cant put into words what a god send the postnatal workout was! THis is the only pregnancy workout program anyone needs!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, Fun workout for beginners...., February 12, 2009
This review is from: COMPLETE PREGNANCY FITNESS (DVD)
I really like this workout DVD. Well worth what I paid for it. I use it almost everyday. Erin has a cute personality and makes you feel like you are in an aerobic class with an instructor. The only thing I don't like about it is that she goes through every move and set like it's the first time you've ever done it so you have to wait for her to explain the moves all over again everytime. I think it would have been better if there was an instructional section guiding you through the moves first then the actual workout so that you can quickly go through the workout rather than waiting for the explanations every single time. (Hope that makes sense) It does get annoying after you've done the video about 3 times. I guess the good thing is that she does take the time to explain exactly how the move is supposed to be done to avoid injury. Also, she has special training on exercise during pregnancy so I always feel better knowing that the moves are safe to do and not going to harm me or the baby.
The video is broken down into sections with the warm up being first, strength training (which includes a little cardio- just enough to get your heart rate up but not break a sweat) then the cool down. I have only had the video a little over a month but can tell a difference in my energy level as well as with my lower back pain. It really does help to move around and strengthen those muscles. It also helps me to keep my weight gain in check, which is a big issue for me.
I would say, if you are a beginner or intermediate exerciser, buy it. It's not too difficult but gets you moving so you feel better and more energized.
Good Luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars She gets my blood pumping!, May 12, 2007
This review is from: COMPLETE PREGNANCY FITNESS (DVD)
I love this video as she challenges me. Most prenatal videos bore me and I endure them simply because I know I should do SOMETHING and cannot work out like I used to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good if you stick with it!, August 20, 2010
This review is from: COMPLETE PREGNANCY FITNESS (DVD)
A lot of people are going to complain about this workout because it is intense. But I enjoy doing it daily because the instructor breaks it down for you into sections and little do you realize a while later that you have done a forty minute workout! The work out is pretty intense, but the instructor makes it clear that you don't have to go her speed when doing the moves. I certainly didnt! And then there are complaints that she doesn't explain how to do the moves very well, but in my opinion: When you've watched this over and over again you don't really want her to be explaining the moves, you want her to be moving through them. How difficult is it to rewind a little when you're starting off? I only gave it a four star because it is a pretty intense workout and for those of you who are feeling the pregnant fatigue, you will do this a few times and then give up on it. It would be better for those kinds of pregnant women to stick to something slower and simpler like pregnant yoga. But for those of you who can handle a lot of movement (and believe me, you are going to want to ask your doctor if you can work out to this), as long as you make it a point to press the start button I promise you will have no trouble finishing.

Good stuff--the instructor tells you specifically when to drink water, the workout is in sections designed to get your body revved up for a workout and then a cooldown at the end so you aren't pressing the off button and still huffing and puffing. She reminds you to take it at your speed but also shows you how far you can go if you are willing. She adds a DVD for when you are no longer pregnant to target the specific muscles to get you back on track to a pre-baby body!

Bad stuff--the workout is intense and not for everyone. The moves aren't explained too well, so you will have to rewind a few times unless you can catch on while she does it.

You'll have to decide if this is for you, but I have to say I'm very very satisfied and have had no problem working out almost daily (and I am a very lazy person). As long as I have the ability to press the play button on my DVD, I never walk away without finishing it.

COMPLETE PREGNANCY FITNESS
COMPLETE PREGNANCY FITNESS by Erin O'Brien (DVD - 2007)
$24.99 $13.43