5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Kindle Formatting
Published on March 20, 2011 by Mrs. Danvers

2.0 out of 5 stars content is great, kindle presentation is annoying
I purchased this text for my Kindle Paperwhite, so this review only reflects my experience on that platform.

Published 20 months ago by David Laur

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Kindle Formatting, March 20, 2011
This review is from: OSCAR WILDE COMPLETE WORKS ULTIMATE COLLECTION 140+ Works ALL plays, poems, poetry, books, stories, fairy tales and 2 BIOGRAPHIES (Kindle Edition)
Like another reviewer mentioned, I was actually looking for a book of Oscar Wilde's poetry when I came across this collection. Although I already had a number of his books on my Kindle, I downloaded this because it appears to have everything he ever wrote, as well as including two biographies. The table of contents is well organized and interactive. Even the poetry section is sub-divided. This book is so well done I deleted all other copies of Wilde's work from my Kindle account. After having downloaded very poorly formatted public domain classics, I'm confident anyone wanting the collected work of Oscar Wilde will be more than pleased with this version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Collection!, December 27, 2010
Awesome collection! This collection is really, really amazing!! Seriously! What I was really after was a full set of Oscar Wilde's poetry, but when this collection came up, I was just amazed that I could get so much else as well!

I love Wilde's poetry and the way his words flow over me and I immediately rushed to that section and started reading. It's so beautiful!

And I have always wanted to find out more about his life and what happened to him. I think it's so great there is so much in this collection!!

Also, must say, the Table of Contents is also amazing! So easy to jump around!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wilde's wit!, January 3, 2011
I think this collection really knocks your socks off! I was so impressed by it. Not only does it have all the stuff I wanted, all his plays, all his poems and stories and everything, but it's the extras that really impress me more than anything else. The biographies are so amazing to have in the same collection as his fictional stuff. Especially the one from his lover. I can't wait to read it!

Also, I am so excited about all the smaller articles and reviews. I read one or two already and its so awesome to see these extra little bits of Wilde's wit! And I must say the thing that also really seriously impresses me is the easy table of contents. Its so quick and easy to jump around. I highly recommend it all!!

2.0 out of 5 stars content is great, kindle presentation is annoying, November 29, 2012

First things first: complete works of Oscar Wilde: yay! it is great to have all the texts. I am not such a Wilde fan that I would claim that every single thing he wrote is 5-star, but it is great having all of the pieces that I do love in one place.

However, the actual navigation and presentation of this content on my kindle is poor, in my opinion.

FIrst objection: The "respect" for the separate identity of each title is lost. Entirely distinct short stories are just jammed together end-to-end like chapters; plays run together, etc. The entire separation between works is a modest title in a small font. I would much rather take a visual "breath" between entirely different pieces. Give us a title page for each piece!

Second objection: In collected works edition, one of the most important pieces of tech is the table of contents, letting you choose which of the 140 pieces you want to read. Instead this edition opens immediately to the first page of the first work, bypassing the table of contents. Once you finally make it to the contents, the links to each work are packed together so closely that actually selecting the correct one with an adult-sized finger is very difficult. As with the missing "title page" business: surely whitespace is cheap in an e-book? and in the case of 140 clickable links, give them space to be clickable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but..., January 3, 2012
The book was the complete editions, but in the "Picture of Dorian Gray" the entire third chapter was missing from the book. Since some of his finer lines are in this chapter, I cannot give this edition five stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but with two reservations., March 18, 2012
Chris Massa (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
All in all, this is a very good edition of the complete Oscar Wilde, particularly because of the biographies, and because of how Kindle-friendly the formatting is. Everlasting Flames Publishing has once again put together a wonderful package for a terrific price. (For the record, I can recommend their William Shakespeare Complete Works Ultimate Collection: 213 Plays, Poems, Sonnets, Poetry including the 16 rare, hard-to-get Apocryphal Plays PLUS Annotations, Commentaries of Works, Full Biography whole-heartedly, without reservation. For those looking for the complete Shakespeare, it's second to none.) That being said, this edition isn't perfect. It has two shortcomings (that I've found) that I want to address.

First of all, the formatting of the individual works isn't always the greatest. Specifically, the plays could be formatted more carefully. "Salome", in particular, is pretty wretched, with lines beginning and ending at what seem like random places. Is it a deal-breaker? No, but it should be revised.

Secondly, now that it is out and easily accessible, the uncensored original version of "The Picture of Dorian Gray" should really be included in this set. Unless there is a copyright issue that I'm not aware of (and I don't think there could be), it should be here as well as the edited version that most readers are familiar with. Again, this isn't necessarily a deal-breaker, but without both versions, this collection's claim to be complete is only partially accurate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous!!, January 11, 2011
Leonard Kayley (Phoenix, Arizona) - See all my reviews
I don't think I could have asked for anything more in this collection. I have been getting more and more into Wilde's work and other classic writers and poets and what more could I have wanted in this collection! It has all his writing and the two intriguing biographies. And all that at a great price! So I am very happy with it and say well done to the publisher on giving us such a great collection!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not complete, April 17, 2013
My principle interest was in De Profundis and in that the part about Bosie has been deleted. I also believe it contains all the errors of the original publication which are reported to be in the hundreds.

3.0 out of 5 stars Glad to have it but it's awkward and unreliable, January 2, 2013
I am really glad I downloaded this--it was cheap (maybe even free? don't remember) and comprehensive. It allowed me, without being burdened by an armload of books, to read some of Wilde's prose, all of Frank Harris's important early bio with Robert Ross's and GB Shaw's comments; and Lord Douglas's book about Wilde (for a very different view to say the least). I took it on the road with me, and it was great to have. HOWEVER: It is a badly produced e-text. There are many errors in the scanning (especially in the Douglas); the footnotes or endnotes are nearly impossible to follow up; important matters of formatting are lost; it is difficult to keep track of what text (and indeed which author) one is reading; the line breaks for the poems quoted by Harris and Douglas are absent; the formatting of the poetry is lousy in the poetry sections. Also, its very comprehensiveness means that searching is laborious. In short, you get what you pay for. It's worth having to have the material in one place but if you are serious about what you're reading you will not be able to rely on this edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Formatting, July 18, 2013
I recieved a Amazon's Newsletter with a suggestion to purchase
Oscar Wilde Ultimate Collection - 140+. I like Oscar Wilde
and I immediately used the opportunity to buy the E-book.
From time to time I read something from this collection. I should
say the collection is well designed.
No need to talk much about Oscar Wilde in this review. It will enough to show
some of his numerous aphorisms.

* We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

* The love to myself is a romance that lasts whole life.

* Men always want to be a woman’s first love; women like to be a
man’s last romance.

* Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood.

* I always like to know everything about my new friends, and
nothing about my old ones.

* Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.

* Laughter is not at all a bad beginning for a friendship, and
it is far the best ending for one.

* Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value
of nothing.