5.0 out of 5 stars I like this thing

Customer Video Review     Length:: 8:36 Mins
Published on February 11, 2012 by HCGamer247

5.0 out of 5 stars I like this thing, January 15, 2011
This review is from: COWON X7 160 GB MP3 Player (Black) (Electronics)
I've read some of the negative reviews and I guess they're just from ipod lovers or something. I agree that 1 star is definitely unrealistic. Once you learn the controls, this thing is great. I bought it for the memory capacity and battery life. I've only had it for a few days, but I already like it more than my Zune... mostly because of the folder browsing options. I also like that it lets you choose between a simple text user interface and a widget user interface. The virtual keyboard was little funky at first, but after doing the touch calibration it worked fine. (Note - Touch Calibration: It does it in three steps, asking you to 'touch here' on 3 different points. I just kept running the calibration until each point responded on the first touch.) I appreciate the simple, yet solid, casing. It doesn't look as expensive as it was making it less likely to be a target for theft. It doesn't feel much heaver than my palm pre and my pre is actually longer when the keyboard is open. It froze up on me when I tried to play an unsupported file, but that was resolved with a press of the reset button. The included headphones could have been better, but I had my own. I took someone's advice and decided not to use the software and I got 90GB of stuff on the x7 with no issue. Just copy and paste from computer. I also like how easy it is to make a favorites playlist.. just press Favs at the bottom of the screen. Oh yea, the recorder is amazing. I haven't used it for anything practical yet, but I've tested it and I'm impressed. On a different note, I've seen some people wining about the proprietary usb cable (like Zune and iPod have) and seriously folks, get over it. This is how companies make additional money. Just take care of your cable and don't lose it and you won't have to buy another one. I'll admit, it would be nice to use a a normal USB for all my devices... but the likeability of my devices make up for the fact that I can't. Oh, someone mentioned their displeasure with the touch screen in their review... saying that "it's not a real touchscreen" This is not true. You can touch the screen and select various options by doing so... that's a touch screen. No, you can't do multi touch features like on your phone (which is handy for web browsing), but if you want to zoom in on a picture just press zoom and a little volume-like bar will pop up that lets you zoom a little to a lot. This is the only time this feature is necessary in my option because I haven't needed to or even though about zoom on anything else. Plus, there's no web browser because there is no web access. I agree with another reviewer that WiFi is a big battery drainer and is relatively unnecessary on my media player. I can web browse on my phone just fine.

My pros and cons so far:
Pros:
*Easy to add music, videos, documents, and pics. Simple copy & paste
*160GB
*Loooooong battery life
*user interface options
*easy folder browsing
*easy favorites playlist
*recorder - a super bonus for me
*of course, the sound is wonderful... from both the headphones and the speakers
*search feature- for finding that one song or video or picture quickly (if you remember the name of the file...)
*dragging the progression bar (like in media players on computers) For the zune, you have to press and hold the little button and you almost always go to far. For the x7, you just drag to or touch where you want the song or video to fast forward or rewind to.
*Options for playback speed for music and videos.

Cons:
*price - although when I think about it, I paid close to that for my zune years ago
*doesn't play .mkv (this is only a con because I have a whole season of How I Met Your Mother I'll have to convert)
*can't view pdf files. Not really a big deal since I can see them on my phone.

***EDIT***

An addition to my cons list:

*I'm not having a lot of luck with the radio. However, I don't like listening to the radio so it doesn't bother me much. It may also be because of interference of some kind...

*No luck with the alarm either. I'd kinda like it to work, but I'm pretty good at waking on my own, so also not a big deal

***END EDIT***

All and all, I'm happy with the x7. It's an extreme upgrade from my 80gb zune. I've yet to find another device with that big of hard drive (160GB) AND that long of battery life (about 100 hours). It only took about 20 minutes to figure out the workings of the device just by fiddling with it and anything I couldn't figure out or find, I looked it up in the manual. I've yet to bet stumped on a feature. So that's how I feel about it just 2 days in. So far, I'm happy.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Mixture of Pros and Cons, February 11, 2012
Length:: 8:36 Mins

5.0 out of 5 stars Open Source > Cons, January 6, 2011
This review is from: COWON X7 160 GB MP3 Player (Black) (Electronics)
PROS: The single most important thing about this product, which makes it worth the price and better than all the other options, is the fact that it is completely open source. Meaning that you can just drag and drop files onto it, without software (like the dreaded iTunes). I HATE ITUNES SO MUCH. Even the Zune requires you to use software. And nevermind if the UI (User Interface) isn't that great, since sooner or later somebody like Rockbox is going to make a fantastic UI to replace it with (and this is possible only because it's open source).
_____Everything seems to work as it should on this device. It only took like 5 minutes update itself when I added 50 GB of music onto it; so I don't know what that other reviewer is talking about. Also, the availability of using wireless headphones through the installed bluetooth on the device is nice. Lastly, the huge 160GB hard drive provides PLENTY space for all your music. I won't list all the specifications. Check the description for that.

CONS: The screen resolution is small. Don't get me wrong; the video looks great; but after seeing the iPod touch huge screen resolution, I was disappointed to see the small pixel count of the x7. Even with the smaller screen size, the iPod touch has double the pixels of the x7. But that many pixels might be a little overboard and shouldn't be counted too much against the x7.
_____It's quite over-sized. That's great since the screen is bigger, but bad if you want to use it for exercising. But maybe this could be remedied by using some blue tooth headphones.
_____The UI could be better. Cowon has never been great with the UI. But I don't mind since it really isn't THAT bad, and especially because I am looking forward to rockbox taking advantage of the open source eventually and creating it's own fantastic UI like it did with the x5.
_____Also, there is the high price. For just $80 more, you can get an iPod Touch 4G.
_____If it matters to you, this device has no wifi internet connection, camera

FINAL DECISION: Once again, it all comes down to the fact that you HAVE to use iTunes and other crap with all the other players. If only the iPod Touch was open and without iTunes, I would of bought it in a HEARTBEAT. Believe it or not, I actually hate iTunes and the proprietary software of other players SO much, that it was this single feature of the x7 which made the final decision for me. Open Source > Wifi , Higher Pixel Count, Camera, & Small Size. DAM IT APPLE. Why can't you just stop raping everybody with iTunes!!

UPDATE:
******
Hey guys. I've been following the comments to my review ever since I wrote it. I hear what you're saying. iPods are good for Grandma type users who don't know anything about technology. They're also good for tech heads who don't mind the syncing issues with iTunes.

UNFORTUNATELY. Cowon can't make good user interfaces. This product will suck until then. But, like I said in the original post; for my type of user, open source > cons. There are a million cons with this product (99% due to cowon's failure in UIs), and there is only ONE pro.... the open source. I can't wait until 3 years down the road when rockbox.org makes a good UI for the X7. Once that happens, the only cons to this product will be the low pixel count compared to the iPod touch, the lack of internet connection, & the proprietary USB wire.

For the REALLY techy people out there, this x7 allows you to program your own flash code and put it on the player to run. You can basically program your own UI to your own liking. Like I said, for Grandma's; this product would be a nightmare. But let's face it; if you're a Grandma; your grandson will be picking out your player for you. So grandson, pick the iPod for your grandma; and pick this product for you, unless you really enjoy iTunes (which is pretty much the only con (a GIGANTIC con) for the iPod touch (minus that they only go up to 60GB while this is 160GB).

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, December 12, 2010
This review is from: COWON X7 160 GB MP3 Player (Black) (Electronics)
By far the best mp-3 player I have ever owned, and there have been many, I-pod and Zune do not even come close. Good job Cowon. Thre are many things the Zune and I-pod do not have that the Cowon has had for years like Drop and drag with no software or tune store required. line in capabilities, custom eq settings not to mention the best volume loudness and quality I have ever seen. I hope Cowon keeps this up and even though it has no wifi or hi-def it still remains the best quality built player on the market. It was a typo actually it has the best volume loudness I have ever heard sorry, by the way has anyone heard of the little magnet that is in the carrying case you can get for it disrupting the performance?

5.0 out of 5 stars Suberb Music Player... with a "few" extras., January 26, 2011
This review is from: COWON X7 160 GB MP3 Player (Black) (Electronics)
I'd love the sound of this player.

Everyone interested in buy one must know that this is a Music Player with a "few" extras (video, recording, radio, pictures), it means that the main reason to buy a Cowon X7 is the sound quality. So if the quality of sound isn't your priority look for something else cos' and iPod Touch or and iPhone does everything else better than the Cowon X7 except by the sound quality.

Everybody I'd shown this player gets surprised by it's sound.

It plays MP3/2, WMA, OGG, FLAC, APE, WAV.

If you are interested about all the spec you can download the manual at:

[...]

Something relevant to mention it's that the sound is highly customizable. After experimenting about a week with the 35 Default Preset of the JetEffect an the 5 band EQ I'd create an User Preset (with only the BBE [to top], the MP Enhance [On] and the Stereo Enhance [to top]) cos' the default presets, in my humble opinion, modify too much the sound. Now it sound as I really like.

Take note... The BBE and the MP Enhance really improves the sound. The Stereo Enhance works like a crosstalk which is very useful to listening with headphones.

I'm very happy with my purchase.

It worth the money? Every penny... I would pay for anything "like" but best sounding than an iPod.

IMPORTANT: Reading the Cholly Wheels "Mahatma" review of the Cowon X7 (1 star) I'd decide to make some research (prior to purchase) and I'd notice that the default Firmware (2.05) had serious problems that could "brick" the device if you transfer to the X7 any file below 4k. So the first thing I did when unpacked mine, was upgrade the Firmware and almost everything is going fine. I said almost cos' I had problems with the gapless playback. It seem that the gapless playback works better with APE files than with FLAC but I'm still looking for a definitive solution for this issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great MP3 Player, March 19, 2011
This review is from: COWON X7 160 GB MP3 Player (Black) (Electronics)
I have to believe than the few negative reviews I read before buying the Cowon X7 were by customers who never read the manual, down loaded the latest firmware, or put any time into learning the screen menus.

The Sound is fantastic! One can load up to 160GB of media. I did go through the manual and did have to play with the X7 for a while to learn the menus and options available. I did not find the touch screen hard to work with (I should mention that this is the first touch screen product I have ever used).

I think the trouble some people had is they did not go into settings to assign the buttons. The on/off/hold button is on the lower right side (from the screen, you can also put the X7 in sleep mode or turn it off). There are two buttons on the lower left side to control volumn, and when the screen is in save mode (blank) they can be used to advance or go back one track. There is a button on the lower front side that also be programmed for the screen or starting and stopping the player.

I loaded up about 50GB of MP3s. I never wanted an IPOD or a Zune as I wanted to be able to move my media from my 2 computers, and back up hard drives, and to my media player, and then back. Just connect it to your computer with the dedicated USB cord and it reads the X7 like an exterior hard drive (in a pinch, you could use the X7 to transport files, any kind of digital files, from one computer to another).

The X7 can play a variety of music files. I also like the way you can make and name your own folders however you want to name them. On every song I rip (about, 10,000 songs and instrumentals for me so far) I use my own special coding for genres, albums, etc. And even the tracks that are in folders can be quickly sorted by Year, Genre, Album (however you tagged them), Artist, etc., and then play them sequentially or shuffle. You can creat favorites and your own play lists. There are a plethora of preset EQs and you can make four of your own, if you feel the need.

The X7 can be charged through the USB cord or with the AC Adapter (which is quicker). The unit comes with a set of earbuds but I use the JBud J4s. I had no "crackling" sound that a couple of people spoke about. I suppose that was from bad cords. I can not speak to the video player as did not look it and have no plans to ever use it.

For me, the open archtecture (virtually any media file) can be played. The X7 can play for over 100 hours if fully charged! I can hold a mega library of music. And It has great sound! I also like that it comes with an FM tuner and has a few extras that can come in handy... a recorder, a photo viewer, a calculator, a notepad, a stop watch, an alarm clock and a couple others. (When I am waiting at the airport I now have an alarm clock in case I fall asleep!). This is a 5-Star MP3 player!
DWJ of Spokane

4.0 out of 5 stars A great, but flawed MP3 player, February 7, 2011
This review is from: COWON X7 160 GB MP3 Player (Black) (Electronics)
I am a long time Ipod user but also a bit of an audiophile, which unfortunately don't go together well. When I heard about the X7's release, I decided to make the move and try out Cowon to see if their reputation is justified. Unfortunately, both its good and bad reputation is so.

First; the bad. I'm a Mac user and Cowons are notorious for not playing with them nicely. However, I figured that since this is a hard drive based player it'd be less prone to problems. Sadly, that's not the case. There are 3 problems that reoccur enough to be annoying and worth mentioning:
1. Sometimes the player claims a file is invalid. This happens when I am using the player and suddenly it shuffles to a song and deems it invalid. The problem is almost always corrected when I delete the file and replace it but without modifying it in anyway.
2. Sometimes a file becomes corrupted (on the player) in someway, but the player doesn't deem it invalid before playing. This problem takes a number of forms, including a "skip" as if the MP3 were a bad 45. Another more humorous manifestation of this problem is when I play one file, and then it strangely changes into another song without the player recognizing it. For example, I am listening to song A which is 4 minutes long. 15 seconds in to song A it switches rather dramatically to song B. I turn the screen on the X7 and it claims to still be playing song A.
3. Simply freezing in the middle of playing an MP3 and needing to be manually reset by pushing the frustratingly small reset button.

Also, at one point the player failed to recognize ANY files that I'd put on it. This problem persisted until I wiped the flash drive of its memory and loaded up the latest firmware. A strange and frustrating situation.

Lastly, and not really a "bad" as much as a disappointment, it originally claimed to have a multilingual dictionary, and sure enough when I got it, it did. However, in the firmware updates, this function was lost, though some of the files for it remained on the player.

Finally; the good. The player's hardware is well built, with a nice weight and finish to it. I don't like holding electronics that feel as though cardboard were a main component, and the X7 is just the right size for me. The battery life is simply incredible. I listen to music all the time throughout the day and I hardly ever need to charge it. Most importantly, the sound quality is unparallel; it really makes Apple look bad. I have mine paired with some Shure 535s and that combination is an aural delight.

The bottom line is, the X7 does have flaws, some of which I didn't bother highlighting since others have done so. But, if you want top notch audio, a big screen, and beefy hard drive, the X7 is a fantastic, albeit sometimes frustrating, pmp.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cowon X7, May 13, 2011
This review is from: COWON X7 160 GB MP3 Player (Black) (Electronics)
Let me first say that this IS NOT a cutsie IPOD from Apple, nor is it suppose to be. This is a music player for people who care about sound quality with some perks. This is not an "I can do eveything player but I'll sacrifice my sound quality, storage, and battery. I am by no means a tech junkie, but I do like the toys I do have and I really like this one. My last MP3 player, a Creative Zen Vision M 60Gb, is on its last legs and it was time for something new. After researching and some info from former workmates. I looked at Cowon, Creative, IRiver, and Archos. Creative and IRiver don't make a HDD based players anymore and their flash based players were not big enough. Archos had HDD players plenty big enough but their reputation wasn't steller( customer service, build quality,UI) Cowon became the only choice. First, HDD of 160 Gb is all I should need for quite a long time.(had Zen for 4 years) Second, the sound is great! I thought my Zen was damn good, this beats it by a lot. Cleaner sound through out any music you listen to. (I listen to a wide range of music, but prefer rock/blues) The earbuds that come with it are OK, but get a good pair of earbuds and it's that much better. I have a pair of Ultimate Ears MetroFi 170s and they sound even better with this player. Third, battery life has been real good so far.(had a week, one full charge only) Forth, the video player does its job just fine. It is a little picky on formats, but thats not the main purpose for this player so I'll forgive them for that. Fifth, (This is the real reason I won't give it 5 star) the UI is a little weird at first, but you will figure it out rather quickly and it shouldn't bother you after that. (this includes the resistive touch screen) Yes, it doesn't have a normal USB connector, just deal with it. Drag and Drop anything you want on to it with no issues, no software required. Perks include the Bluetooth connetivity for headphones, picture veiwer, radio and built in recorder. When comes down to it, this is a damn good sounding music player for people who like to really LISTEN to music. Cowon has a good reputation for sound quality and now I know why.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid quality player, February 12, 2011
This review is from: COWON X7 160 GB MP3 Player (Black) (Electronics)
I've had this product for about two months, and it works beautifully.

The Good:
-plays almost any filetype you throw at it, including FLAC and OGG.
-easy file loading. You can use it with most media players, or just toss the files directly on the hard drive
-The sound quality. It's pristine, and has yet to disappoint me.
-Sound customization. You can configure your EQ exactly how you want through 5 bands, choosing the frequencies you wish to boost or tone down. One can also use Jet Audio's extra bass boost and sound features to add further punch to music.
-The battery life is INSANE. This product has yet to die on me, and I only charge it once every two weeks. The advertised 103 hours may be true. It certainly holds for 80.
-Capacity, 160gb.
-Did I mention the sound quality? It's fantastic. You can hear everything from 5hz up to 20khz perfectly.

The Bad:
-The touch screen takes some getting used to, it's not as snappy as an iPhone's. It works on pressure not temperature, like older PDA screens.
-About once every two weeks, the touch screen will become unresponsive. A simple reboot fixes the issue, but bothersome nonetheless.

Final Verdict:
The one downside to this player is far surpassed by it's stellar audio quality and battery life. If you need a large amount of music with you for long periods of time while still having amazing quality audio, this is your player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only for those who actually like music :), January 16, 2011
Safari Hood "Safari Hood" (http://www.safarihood.com) - See all my reviews
This review is from: COWON X7 160 GB MP3 Player (Black) (Electronics)
The x7 is the third Cowon player I have owned, and the third review I've done for a Cowon product.
First was the 20gb X5, second was the 16gb iAudio 7.

The X7 was delivered to me yesterday (January 15th, 2011).
First chance I got, I attached it to my computer and transferred 50 gb of Ogg Vorbis files to the device.
A small part of my collection, but enough to "get me going".

As a long time fan of Cowon products, I have mostly pros concerning the X7, but a couple of cons.
We'll start with the Cons, so that I can end on the Pros, as I believe this device deserves a review that starts and ends positive.

I cannot compare the included earbuds, as I personally HATE earbud headphones.
Unfortunately, every pair of earbuds I have ever tried were extremely uncomfortable, no matter the manufacturer.
Instead, I immediately connected a pair of Bose Quiet Comfort 3 'over the ear' headphones.

Cons :
1) Maybe I've lost my mind, but I couldn't find the 'shuffle' option. Did I miss it?
2) Transfer speed was not great, but not terrible. USB 2.0 is slow, no matter the device.
However, in the process of copying 50gb of Ogg Vorbis files to the player, my WinBox averaged only ~10 Mb/sec transfer.
Cowon's X5 was an HD based player as well, and I usually averaged ~16-17 Mb/sec transfer with that player on a Winblows Machine.

Pros :
1) Both Flash & HD drive storage. Even though the Flash drive is only 2gb, I find it to be a benefit. It uses less electricity, so you'll
need to charge the device less often.
2) JetEffect SPLENDOR. I became very familiar with JetEffect on the x5 and the iAudio 7. The x7 brings JetEffect to a whole new level.
3) The touch screen is nice. I did find it to be responsive, and extremely easy to navigate.
4) OS and Software Independent. No software needed to copy music to (and from) the device. Copy & Paste, no re-conversion necessary.
5) Multiple Music format support - OGG, FLAC, MP3, WMA. (I can understand Mp3, but why WMA? Who in their right mind uses it?)
6) Support for highest quality OGG, FLAC, and MP3 encoding. I always encode at highest quality.
7) Can also be used as an external storage device for files besides music. Perfect for SneakerNetting.

Being an avid fan of Cowon products, I could go on and on about the Pros of Cowons' products.

I would recommend this product any music fans who like their music to sound great.