4.0 out of 5 stars Almost hits the mark...for me
So, this was my first cowon player and I was excited to get it. When I did receive it, I was visually impressed. It's a solid player that feels good in the hands. It might me a bit of a problem to operate with one hand because of it's width, but it's definitely doable. The volume and the track controls buttons on the outside are a definite plus.

Moving on...
Published on September 6, 2012 by Manit Pahuja

3.0 out of 5 stars GREAT for music - not so much for everything else.
Published 23 months ago by Lologuy

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost hits the mark...for me, September 6, 2012
This review is from: COWON X9 4.3-Inch 32GB Touch Screen Video MP3 Player (White) (Electronics)

Moving on to the interface. It's serviceable. That's the best way I can describe it. You have your basic artists, genre, album view but there is a bit of a issue here. Two disc compilations albums were not in order when I browsed them in the album view. But when I went to the folder view, they were in order. There is also a album grid view, and I had the same order issue through that view. The screen quality is not the best, but everything is clear and I had no issues reading the track names. All is all, the UI could be a bit more organized but it does do the job.

The screen itself is a resistive touch screen, meaning that there needs to be a bit more pressure involved when touching it. I took me a bit to get used to but I had no issues after a couple of days. Sometimes, it selects something that I don't want to, but it works for the most part. It definitely takes getting used to though.

Sound quality is out of this world. Seriously, it is. Flat out extraordinary. I could hear layers of songs that I could not before. And there are so many presets that you can choose from. And furthermore, you can customize your settings individually. One of the best features of this, and other cowon, player[s].

Another extraordinary feature is the battery life. When I got the player, the battery was fully charged and it's been a week now and it's only half drained. This thing will last on long trips. So, for those who want long battery life, this is the one to look for.

There is one aspect of this player that made me not keep it: no gapless playback. Most of my music is DJ mixes and there was a noticeable interruption between each song. This was highly unfortunate, as I was really planning to keep the player. Note: I was using MP3 format. You might have better luck on other formats, such as FLAC.

So, in the end, it's a great player, no doubt. I hope gapless playback gets added into it in the future. For someone who does not have DJ mixes in their collection, I would highly recommend this. Long battery life, drag and drop system for songs and it also supports a microSD slot, so the total space can be 64 GB. Price could be less expensive considering the screen technology is not that great but it's not that bad of a deal for $223. Give it a shot!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cowon X9 MP3/Video player, January 20, 2013
I was looking for an MP3 player for my audiobooks and oldtime radio shows. My primary needs where a few...

- The ability to play low bitrate mp3 files.
- Resume mp3 files in conjuntion with a sleep timer.
- Long playback time in between charges was also a concern.

After searching around on the internet and reading reviews I decided on the X9. It plays low bitrate mp3 and avi files no problem. I can resume mp3 and avi files also. The player also has a very long battery life between charges. I don't use the other funtions on the player so I can't comment on them.

Additional findings...

- The external speaker is loud enough if there isn't too much ambient noise.
- File transfers are 5.30MB/s via usb 2.0. You can also delete files and folders.
- Large 1mb images take several seconds to load.
- External controls are nice. Play, Pause, Fastforward, Rewind, Skip tracks, Volume and Sleep. Quickly pressing the power button twice turns the display off while still allowing access to external controls.
- Mp3 bitrates are 8-320kbps. Mp3's resume where you left off whether you shutdown manually or through the sleep timer.
- DivX v5 and XviD v1.03,v1.20 .avi video files play fine. AVI's resume where you left off whether you shutdown manually or through the sleep timer.
- Through the bookmarking system I can bookmark mp3 and avi files. From there I can resume where I left off anywhere within the file(s).
- The battery life between charges is 110hrs for mp3 files which is very long.
- The (display off) timer settings are 10sec, 30sec, 1min, 3min, 5min, 10min.
- Quickly pressing the power button twice turns off the display. To turn the display back on quickly press power once. External physical controls still function with the display off.
- The (auto off) timer can be set for 1-5min, 10min, 20min, 30min. The player will automatically turn off at that time during in-activity.
- The (sleep) timer can be set for 10min, 20min, 30min, 40min, 50min, 60min, 70min, 80min, 90min, 100min, 110min, 120min. At this time the player will go into sleep mode. If you were listening to an mp3 or watching a video the player will resume but pause until you push play next time you turn the player on.
- I purchased and installed an additional 32gb micro memory card. The card is read as an additional but seperate storage space. Both on the player and in Windows.

Two things of importance I think should be mentioned.

If you install an additional memory card it will not be shown under system information. The BIOS version [2.02], total physical memory and free space of the physical memory is displayed. This is only for the initial on-board memory. However, the additional memory card is addressed and can be used. You do this using Windows Explorer or something similar. You can make directories and files and get physical info from the additional memory card. Once you copy your files to the player you can access them using the players file Browser. From there you can choose what to play. A simple BIOS update will solve the incorrect system information with add-on memory.

Also, communication with Cowon is impossible it seems. I've sent them several emails regarding positive comments on various things plus the add-on memory issue. No return emails have been recieved. Others on the internet have had similar problems communicating with Cowon. It's interesting to note that their website is void of any forum. The non communication issue might be a problem if warranty issues ever come up.

Those two issues don't really bother me as I can easily deal with them. A novice user might have a problem that's why I gave the player 4 stars instead of 5. Overall I'm very pleased with this player because it meets my needs and then some.

5.0 out of 5 stars MP3 players are meant for MUSIC!! NOT GAMES ETC ETC!, March 20, 2013
OK, first off, i want to say that i don't consider myself an audiophile guy however, when it comes to music, i want the best listening music experience i can get be it clean highs, clean mids, and clean tight/low bass. My philosophy is, if the mids/tweets/bass are present! i better hell be able to hear it!!!

While looking for an MP3 player to replace my crappy SONY, i was geared towards the Galaxy player 5.0 and also an Ipod! At this point! i cared less about what i get as long as the quality is great! After reading tons of Ipod fans and Galaxy fan battles...i decided to look else where. And that is when i stumbled upon the COWON X9! I know there are many other greater players out there..i just didn't want to spend an arm and a leg for it! i needed something in my price range! and the COWON X9 was perfect! I always want to hear before i buy...so this time i took a huge gamble! After a few weeks of more researching, i decided that yup, i am going to take the plunge!

After getting my Cowon X9 Player! i was like boy! this thing is a beast!....

Results of my experience:
- Super long battery life! stayed on for about 10 hours and batter hasn't even budged.
- Heard things/music instruments in my music Ive never heard before!!
- Bass has lots of power! Also lots of options on what type of bass you like. I like it around 70-80 htz and plays them just how i like it!
- I don't care about the touch screen, Its meant for music! thus the outside buttons are great!
- EQ is super customizable! something IPod and Galaxy can only dream of having!
- Very powerful built in amp!
- Powers my Sennheiser HD800 Perfectly!!! Ive never seen them so happy before :D

I also have a great killer car audio and home theater. for home i have Pioneer Elite receiver, Klipse all around speakers and woofers. And for my car, Eclipes 8443 head unit, MB quarts all around for speakers, Dimaond Amps and Illumapro subwoofers! its all about SQ for me! And i have to say! I am so happy i can add the COWON X9 to my list of awesome collection! couldnt be more happier!

Ive listend to many Ipod and Galaxy players...and I have to say...coming from a guy who enjoys music....COWON X9 was def the perfect choice! this blows Ipod and Galaxy out of the water in terms of SQ!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars GREAT for music - not so much for everything else., January 15, 2013
Got a "like new" used one for an unbelievably low price and I'm in love with it's great music playback and how you can pick the sound enhancement from a wide selection. Probably the BEST mp3 player I've had in a long time (and I've used almost all name brand players - ipod, zune, zen, sansa, sony, etc.). If the rating was only for a music player - this would rate a 5 star.

However, this unit is very expensive and sold as a multimedia player. The rest of the functions are not very good or very elementary (calculator, stopwatch as examples). The biggest flaw is the video playback capability which is nonfunctional for any higher resolution video files and there is no support for widely used mp4. When you attempt to play a video that it can't handle, the unit will freeze with no way out except to do a reset (holding the volume -and + sides down together until it shuts off). So, basically you're paying a high price for an important component that does not work very well.

The menu is a step back from all other players that have a far more simple and intuitive structure. There's 2 pages of menu (accessed by pressing menu option 1 or 2). None of the navigation functions are clearly explained and it takes some experimenting to be able to properly work the unit. Although you'll learn to navigate thru the menu structure after a while, it just isn't set up cleanly. One saving grace is that you can use Windows Media Player to sync and can even create playlists this way (otherwise creating playlists is virtually impossible to figure out).

Some people complain about the resistive screen but I find it sensitive enough - it works better with some sort of stylus than your finger but stylus is not provided nor is there a place to hold it. Also, I really like the fact that the screen goes dark to save on power (you can adjust timing for this) and doesn't light up when you use the nicely positioned buttons to adjust volume or skip back or forward on music.

Finally, the battery life is AWESOME - longer than any other player I'm aware of. The unit has a proprietary connector which can be hard to insert. Do not force the plug into the unit - line the thing up and it slips in easily initially with a final push needed to firmly connect. It takes some force to disconnect so I'm a little concerned about the longevity of this connector but so far, no problems.
If (actually WHEN) the unit freezes, reset the unit by pushing the volume button - and + side down together. Do not do this while the unit is connected to the computer (it won't work). Do it when it's disconnected or connected to a external power source through a wall charger.

GREAT music player with LONG battery life, basically unuseable video playback functionality, so-so for every else. Not worth the full retail price but great buy if you find a clean used one for under $150, if you are particular about your music.

UPDATE of Feb, 2013 - the more I use it the more I'm blown away by the sound quality and ability to customize the sound almost infinitely. I've set up 4 seperate personal settings (yes that's easy to do) with exact sound customizations for different moods.This player definitely blows all others out of the water when it comes to music playback. Also I've found the casing to be extremely durable - I've dropped the unit couple of times with not a mark on it. Seems the casing is not just a cheap plastic but some high-tech molded plastic/ceramic combination. My negative comments about it's menu structure and video playback capability still holds but , dang it, it's an AWESOME music player, I'm keeping mine until it falls apart (which probably will not be anytime soon).

1.0 out of 5 stars Cowon X9 Killed Itself Even Though It Found A Good Home, August 27, 2014
When I first loaded my FLAC files onto the Cowon I enjoyed getting away from being forced to use iTunes with my iPod Classic. I like the drag-and-drop format of this player. However, the X9 did not recognize all of my files, even files within the same folder or album even though all of the ID3 tag information appeared to be the same. Also, not all album art appeared. But this is not why I gave the X9 one star. I hate to do it because the audio quality blew me away and I absolutely enjoyed it for 2 days. My X9 suicided itself. One other thing I did not like was how hard I had to push the display to get the screen to react. Not hard enough to hurt it, though.
On the 3rd day I way listening to an album when the X9 audio stopped after about an hour of playing. When I went to scroll and press play again the player became unresponsive. I was unable to reboot the player or reset it. After fiddling with it for 5 minutes the display became corrupted with red then green pixels (looked like fire eating the display). Then the screen went black but in the dark you could see faint grey backlighting.
I charged the device for 6 hours with the wall jack and tried the +/- button reset method. My PC beeped when I plugged the X9 into the USB port but would no longer recognize it and the screen on the X9 remained black. I've already purchased an FiiO X3 and I will be returning this unit in the morning. Very disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad hardware, good otherwise, January 23, 2013
I honestly wanted to like this product. I like the screen size (especially in comparison to my C2), I like the touch responsiveness (Takes getting used to, but it's fine), and I like the audio effects. The problem is the hardware.

To start off, the connector that came with it didn't work. It wouldn't even fit into the player! It was impossible to connect with the connector that came with it. I had to use my C2's connector. From there, it gets worse. Out of the box, you couldn't even slightly tap the device while it was connected, or it would lose connection to the computer, and reconnect. This was definitely the device, my C2 does not have this problem at all. To top it off, a few times while it was just sitting there and I was doing my thing it still reset randomly.

The music sounds amazing, it does, but I have no faith that the product will be chargeable by next week. I returned this item in less than 12 hours because of how fidgety the connector was on the device itself. I felt like tomorrow it wouldn't be working.

I thought about leaving this as "Nearly DOA", but considering other reviews complaining about the same exact things, I do not have any trust that it will continue to work, which is sad because it barely does now.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Little Quirky, But Good, June 7, 2013
Pros:

- Pretty good audio. I am still playing around with the EQ configurations and different sets of headphones, but the audio quality is pretty high. I only play FLAC on the device. I got it because I wanted an audio enthusiast level experience and I would say it delivers.

- Battery life is astounding. I've never really had to put it in for a dedicated charging session. I just plug it in when I add files (which has been about once daily) and the battery meter has never budged. I probably use it about an hour a day. I've been using it for about two weeks.

- Feels solid. The plastic body has a soft texture to it that is nice to the touch and doesn't pick up fingerprints.

Cons:

- It does lock up. I tried to play a FLAC file that may have had a corrupted or non-standard header on it. The GUI became immediately unresponsive. I tried to plug it into the laptop to prompt the sync menu but it didn't work. I tried to hard reboot it by pressing the audio up and down keys at the same time. Now the thing is unresponsive with the screen off. It is "on" because when I plug it into the laptop it makes the chime like a USB device is connecting. I read online that someone had a similar issue and just let the battery run all the way out, plugged it in for a charge, and it booted back up. It looks like I'll be waiting for that to happen now. I guess that makes the battery life a con? :P

* UPDATE * - It was a 4800Hz FLAC file that locked it up. I ran it through media monkey conversion just to make sure it was clean and it did the same thing. Luckily, I had just plugged it into USB after the battery had run out. I was able to let the battery drain quickly and get it to boot again. Also, the letting the battery drain works. I didn't try until 3 days later, so I don't know exactly how long it too.

- I'm not a fan of proprietary connectors. A standard USB cable would have been nice.

Quirks:

- This isn't your smartphone's touchscreen. It is functional, but it will take a minute to re-adjust to 1997 level touchscreen performance.

- The interface isn't straight forward. Again, it's functional, just not immediately intuitive. You will spend a little bit of time learning it. I had to, at least once, manually tell it to update the library.

Other:

- I bought the x9 case. It's not quite a hard case and not quite a gel case. It has a slight yellowish tinge that reminds me of plastics from the 70's for some reason. You don't get a good feel for if you press the power button through it. The other buttons are fine, though. You get a satisfying, small tactile feedback that lets you know you pressed it.

- I got the screen protector. It's just a screen protector. It didn't change the performance of the touchscreen and was easy enough to install if you have done a few before on other devices.

- I haven't had the USB cable issue others have reported. I push mine in until it clicks and it just works. I don't have to push it abnormally hard and nothing feels loose or cheap.

- I haven't had the 64bit OS problem one person reported. I have used it with Win7 and Win8, both 64 bit with no issues.

- I bought a 64gig micro SD card, but haven't really used it yet. I put it in the device knowing it was formatted exFAT expecting to be able to format it to FAT32 in the device. I found no option to do so. When I plugged the x9 into my Win8 machine with the 64gig card formatted exFAT it showed up as 28gig. I was about to format the card to FAT32 on my linux machine and put it back in the device but the x9 locked up before I was able to perform that experiment. I guess I'll find out if it will support all 64gig cards after the battery discharges and I can boot it again.

- My rating reflects that I read reviews before purchase and was expecting this might happen. If this blindsided me I would probably be upset.

- With a solid firmware at this price point I would probably give it 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great music output, January 16, 2013
Headphones: Crossfade M-100 - V-MODA

PROs:

The music output is much better, coming from an IPod touch. Using the "BBE MP" equalizer option, this MP3 really brings the sound out for .mp3 files; the bass is punchier, and overall it's more crisp.

This can play WAV files. I rip my CD's in uncompressed .wav files for the best quality music, and it sounds fantastic on this.

The battery life is ridiculous.

CONs:

I hate the charger! The charger to this has done nothing but give me problems. The charger only goes halfway into the X9, so it will come out easily. When it gets connected to a computer do not touch it, because it is not hard to disconnect. I actually put two rubber bands around the charger to keep it pressed into the X9 so it will charge and stay connected.

The user interface is very different, and takes a little time to figure out what all is going on.

The thing is huge, but that is because of the battery life it offers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid device, November 8, 2012
- Sound quality is amazing

- interface is a bit difficult to navigate

- the touch system isnt the best. if you have iphones and HTCs it ll be a step down

- A bit wider than iphone 4

- drag and drop music so its really convenient

- Did i mention the sound quality was amazing.... it is..

Other features are okay. I purchased this device for the sound, so its positives out weigh the negative to me

1.0 out of 5 stars a maddening super cyclone of technical issues, October 1, 2014
First off, the sound quality is phenomenal, which is what has made this experience so painful. My previous mp3 players have lasted me years, but this one started to degrade almost immediately. The screen would register touch an inch(!) or more from where I was actually touching and eventually even the sound started becoming imbalanced and it was almost impossible to find a good position for plugging it into my pc. No big deal, defective copy, I'll just send it back and buy a new one. SAME PROBLEM with the screen, in under 2 weeks. Started mild one morning, completely gone by the next day. Very weird, and their tech support is incompetent and possibly non-existent, honestly. I think this is my first amazon review. If this thing can go down hill so fast in 2 weeks, I don't want to know what kind of fiendishly random and maddening defects it has in store years down the line.