5.0 out of 5 stars Money well spent
Published on July 15, 2009 by Coogs

3.0 out of 5 stars I think it did its job
I think it did its job of cleaning the air flow sensor, but I did not see any difference in vehicle performance etc.,
Published on September 23, 2011 by Lightofgrace

5.0 out of 5 stars Money well spent, July 15, 2009
Coogs (Great Mills, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CRC 05110 Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner - 11 Wt Oz. (Automotive)
I had never cleaned my MAF sensor before, but my car was taking forever to accelerate, putting me in danger on a daily basis. I pulled out the MAF sensor and couldn't even see the two wires that were supposed to be there, because they were encased in gunk. A few quick sprays with this cleaner and the gunk was gone, leaving two shiny wires behind. Immediately after that, my car was accelerating like it was brand new.

Bottom line is, if your car feels like it isn't getting any gas, try this cleaner on your MAF sensor before handing the keys to a mechanic. It's easy as can be...anyone can do it, and it only costs a few bucks. If it doesn't fix the problem, big deal. At least your sensor is clean, and the risk is minimal considering the potential reward.

5.0 out of 5 stars the magic sauce, December 30, 2009
glitch (Loveland, Ohio, USA) - See all my reviews
I bought a 1999 monte carlo (V6, 3.1L) last year with just over 120k miles on it, it ran... pretty good... most of the time... but occasionally it would stall or bog down at times. No matter, I paid peanuts for it, it has a nice warm heater, cold A/C, dreamy ride, and loud stereo, so I was happy. You can't win them all...

Well, the most recent time it bogged down I was going uphill on the interstate and it bogged down for a bit, but this time, the engine light came on. Ah-ha! A clue! I said... I took the car up to smyth automotive and had them read the code, which was P0101 (MAF circuit, range or performance problem).

I took the car home and sure enough it was putting out maybe 15 Hz at idle, 28 Hz at 3500 rpm. (you need an oscilloscope or frequency counter to measure the output with the GM sensor, should be much higher apparently, maybe 35-80 Hz). I contemplated getting a new MAF sensor but saw this product and thought why not try it? After the cleaning, as soon as I turned the key, the engine light went out. Performance was just like a new car! I floored it, and my head was thrust into the headrest 'with gusto' ;) as the speedo approached scary numbers rather quickly.

I showed the product to my dad and we tried it on his 1999 suburban 5.7, which has had the engine light on for years (has close to 300k miles now)... a decent improvment there as well.

Bottom line is, if your car is due for a new MAF sensor you really ought to try this stuff, remember it is a delicate and precise instrument so handle accordingly! Please do not try brake cleaner, isopropanol, simplegreen, or whatever else you might read about on the internet. (you know, the "trust me, I'm an engineer" crowd). Spend the $5 and get on with it.

This is still a relatively new product and is it seems like it is just starting to hit the tuner/hotrod scene (those high-zoot "oiled filters" can have potentially disastrous results on a MAF sensor!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fixed P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance Problem, April 15, 2010
My 2003 GMC Sierra 1500 HD 6.0L threw a P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance Problem diagnostic trouble code. It did not show the check engine light, but my cruise control stopped working, so I scanned for codes and saw the P0101 DTC. I used this cleaner, which took about 15 minutes, and then cleared the code. My cruise control has worked fine ever since.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for an fuel injected car, May 26, 2010
Citris1 (Dania Beach, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
I used this on my 1995 Subaru Legacy. As far as I know the air flow sensor had never been cleaned. The difference was noticeable, the engine ran more smoothly and acceleration was much better. The old Subaru ran like a new car again. I highly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked for us...and saved us lots of money...fingers crossed., June 30, 2012
Samuel S. Ahn (Reno, NV United States) - See all my reviews
We have a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder that started throwing the Check Engine Light. After using a cheapo ODBII scanner, we found a few codes that pointed at several different things. Strange thing though, we never got multiple codes at the same time. I'd reset the car computer with the scanner and then we'd get one code for a swirl sensor problem then we'd get another code the next time for a oxygen sensor and then we'd also sometimes get a code the ODBII sensor had no idea what it was (probably a manufacturer specific code that wasn't in the scanner's database). I first replaced the o2 sensor since it seemed to be the code most often thrown and also since it's a common issue with the Pathfinder. That seemed to get rid of the CEL initially. Then the light came back on. After considering whether or not we should just replace the swirl control valve (another common issue with this car), I came across a posting somewhere that the Mass Air Flow sensor could be the culprit to all these other codes getting thrown. Replacing the MAF sensor itself is kinda expensive, especially if you go the OEM route. So for kicks, I decided to give this thing a try.

First off, this thing is really easy to use. It's almost like spraying pressurized water. Now it's very hazardous stuff, so use caution. This cleaner dries super quick. Once the sensor was cleaned and dried, I put it back in, reset the car's computer, and crossed my fingers. About 600 miles later, the check engine light has not come back on. I'm hopeful since prior to using this product, the light would come on after about 30 highway miles.

If you're having a check engine issue and an ODBII scanner is showing some codes associated with the exhaust and airflow check systems, definitely try this out. A less than $10 solution to a problem that could have cost me several hundreds of dollars.

As to the other marketing claims put forth by the manufacturer, I have no idea if it's true. A few horsepower here or there is really not gonna make a huge difference in the big scheme of things. But others here seem to swear by it...so who know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and Quick Drying, January 2, 2012
MAF sensors can become dirty with air particles over time. This is a great investment which in the long run can probably save you from buying a MAF in the future. It's easy to use and drys extremely quick. I used this to clean the MAF on my car. I can't say I saw vast improvement from using it, but the throttle response is a little crisper since the Air/Fuel ratio is probably optimal again.

Just as a note it does state on the back: DO NOT use on vehicles with Karman-Vortex air flow , e.g. Toyota Supra Turbo, Mitsubishi, and most Lexus vehicles. So make sure you don't have a Karman-Vortex (search on the internet to confirm if your car does have one).

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing MAFS Cleaner, June 13, 2010
K. Nguyen (Westminster, CA) - See all my reviews
No more rough idle when braking is applied, after one month. You don't even need to remove the MAFS per YouTube, CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner Video. I removed the big tube that Mass Air Flow Sensor seats in, next to the air filter. Then, I sprayed 45 times and air dry 45 minutes because it was dirty. You can spray less and air dry less if you want. This process was very easy for a newbie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Safe cleaning fluid for your Toyota sensor, July 9, 2013
This may be the same fluid as the normal electronic cleaner, but I just don't know for sure. I paid a little extra for this stuff to be sure I did not damage my $100 sensor. The last time I cleaned my Mass Flow sensor if FAILED about 30k miles later, so this time I am trying this "special cleaner." Always be careful to "gently" spray your sensor, as I feel a strong stream of any cleaning fluid may shorten the life of the fragile sensor components. You just need to get the build-up off, and nothing more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleaner works great, April 2, 2010
This is worth the price. Clean your sensor every time you install a new air filter.

5.0 out of 5 stars quick drying, October 27, 2009
M. Hebert Jr. (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
Designed well. I used as directed. Personal observation: use the straw on side of can, do not stick straw inside sensor. Spray from at entrance of mouth of sensor using an amount as common sense dictates. My sensor surprisingly looked clean inside, used it anyway. Delicate sensor wire, maybe contaminants unseen to eye. At any rate, the product definitely serves its purpose. Haven't bought a new MAF sensor yet with 165,000 miles on my 2000 328i.

Rate and Discover Movies