Top critical review
9 of 10 people found this helpful
Works as advertised, packaging is unreliable
on October 21, 2013
I bought this bottle to ensure that the brakes on my car would not squeak or rattle after replacing pads and rotors.
Its cheap and easy to apply, and the CRC products I've used before seem to be high-quality at a reasonable price.
In order to use the product, you should be wearing disposable gloves. The stuff is bright red, its messy, and it sticks to everything.
All you have to do is apply a liberal amount to the back side (the part that is NOT touching the brake disc) of all of your brake pads before you install them, then put them in as usual, and put everything back together.
If you still get squeaking after putting these in, you either missed one, or there is something else wrong with your brake system. However, sometimes the brakes make some noises when they are getting "broken in." So just because you hear something doesn't mean there is absolutely something wrong. As long as the brakes are pulling hard, and stopping safely, give it a few days of driving for the new pads to seat on the rotors before troubleshooting any noises for new brake pads.
Only reason I am not giving this product 4-5 stars, is the packaging did not stand up to shipping. When I opened the box, the little red cap had come off, and about 1/3 of the bottle had squeezed out, all over the other items in the box. It was a big mess, and as mentioned previously, this stuff is almost impossible to completely get off once it sticks. Luckily it was just plastic and cardboard packaging that was ruined, but it could have been worse. Not to mention I lost 1/3 of the volume from the bottle. So that is at least one less bake job I can do before I need to order more.
I'm not sure if its CRC not sealing the bottle well enough, or if Amazon being careless in the shipping, but somehow the combination of this bottle being shipped loosely in a cardboard box ended badly for me. Your experience may vary.
If possible, try to buy this product in individually-wrapped packets, instead of a bulk bottle like this. That would avoid the problem I ran into.