5.0 out of 5 stars Good & Easy

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't provide MIDI power
Published on March 12, 2010 by Rodmusic

5.0 out of 5 stars Good & Easy, July 25, 2007
This review is from: CREATIVE EMU XMIDI 1X1 USB MIDI Interface
I got this for my new iMac with an Intel processor and it is completely plug and play. I didn't have to download anything, my computer recognized what it was and identified it by name automatically. The only little thing is the cable marked MIDI IN goes to the keyboard's MIDI OUT and the cable marked MIDI OUT plugs into MIDI IN on the keyboard. Slightly confusing but it makes sense after you think about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Work with Vista (so far), January 9, 2008
This review is from: CREATIVE EMU XMIDI 1X1 USB MIDI Interface
I just ordered this product and am using it to connect my keyboard to an HP Pavillion laptop with Windows Vista. While the software didn't install, it is a plug and play device and it worked like a charm with Finale 2008.

As others have said - it either works or it doesn't, and so far so good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Simple to use, May 2, 2008
This review is from: CREATIVE EMU XMIDI 1X1 USB MIDI Interface
My computer does not have a MIDI port so I was looking for a simple, inexpensive way to connect my MIDI controller/keyboard and the EM8780 is exactly that. I am running Windows Vista and did not have any trouble with the drivers. I use Finale and did not have to do anything to the settings for the MIDI input to be recognized. This is a great product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't provide MIDI power, March 12, 2010
This review is from: CREATIVE EMU XMIDI 1X1 USB MIDI Interface
This is a nice, simple and compact interface, that works perfectly well for everyday MIDI tasks. It has one drawback that may be a deal-breaker for some users: It does not transmit MIDI Power. (Midi Power is like USB or phantom power, but for MIDI devices). This shortcoming makes this E-MU XMIDI 1x1 useless for devices that run off MIDI power like the MIDI Solutions boxes. And some devices look for that power during a sysex dump even if the device itself runs off external power. I was unable to use this interface to update my TC-Helicon Harmony M's OS or program my MIDI Solutions Router. I switched to my Yamaha UX16 USB-MIDI interface, which does provide MIDI power, and I was back in business.

This interface works fine for all other MIDI uses, like recording into a sequencer or triggering sounds on modules. The driver installed on Window XP easily and I was up and running quickly. It's so compact that it takes up almost no space in my laptop case. It's the cheapest one out there and you won't need to spend any extra money on USB and MIDI cables.

Just be aware that if you need MIDI power from your USB-MIDI interface, this one is not for you. I didn't know this until I wasted a great deal of time trying to use it for a firmware update on my TC-Helicon pedal. You might have trouble using this interface with some of your gear and not even realize MIDI power is the issue. If you didn't buy this already, spend the extra money for the Yamaha UX16 which does send MIDI power, just in case your device needs it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, Some Tinkering Required, September 4, 2008
This review is from: CREATIVE EMU XMIDI 1X1 USB MIDI Interface
On a quest to turn my synthesizer into a midi controller for VST instruments in Acid Pro 6.0, I found this little gadget (and if you don't know what that means, you probably don't need this).

First off, Acid won't recognize the hardware without the drivers, and the included software refuses to install on a pc running Windows Vista. On the bright side, E-MU has a patch on their website under support that WILL work with Vista. After installing that, everything ran perfectly for me.

The cord's a bit short and won't wrap behind my desk, so I ordered a usb extension to avoid having to unplug it all the time. E-MU should figure out that in a home studio with speakers, guitars, and such, not every piece of equipment can get shoved into the same corner.

Yes, the midi plugs are labelled backwards. Or perhaps not, depending on how you think about it. Arrows to indicate data flow direction might have been helpful.

PROS:
Low price compared to fancier, muti-track midi converters.
Does what it says.
No noticable delay or lag, great for live recording.

CONS:
Requires patch for Vista.
Cord is only about 8 feet long.
Midi plug labels might be confusing: in = out, out = in?

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Great when you look for the lights on contact!, December 20, 2008
This review is from: CREATIVE EMU XMIDI 1X1 USB MIDI Interface
The 1st one of these I got would not work. The lights wouldn't even light up when attached (should have given me a clue). The company that makes it was almost useless with technical support. They sent generic e-mails that gave me the impression that they neither read or understood English, since I repeatedly indicated there were no lights on the unit when attached to the keyboard and computer, and the software would not install. This seemed pretty straight forward to me. On the other hand, when I got fed up with the idiotic back and forth e-mail nonsense requesting that they read my e-mail, I contacted American Music and they sent an RMA immediately. When I got the new cable it worked flawlessly from the moment it was plugged in.

I highly recommend American Music Supply. The E-MU Xmidi cable is great if it is NOT defective from the factory. It should light up when attached to your keyboard and computer, regardless of whether the software is installed. You should have the CD software available so the drivers get installed correctly.

The bottom line is that the cable is much less expensive than the alternatives, so look for those lights!

5.0 out of 5 stars Went cheap first, should've just bought this..., August 18, 2010
I bought the cheap $5 generic one off Amazon first, and while my computer found the cable alright the software I have couldn't recognize my Line 6 M9 guitar pedal for a firmware update until I got this cable. Works great. Plug-n-play on Windows 7 64x no problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked as expected, February 8, 2008
This review is from: CREATIVE EMU XMIDI 1X1 USB MIDI Interface
The product isn't too fancy, just does what it's supposed to. Worked in Windoze XP as well as Ubuntu 7.10 on a Thinkpad laptop.

4.0 out of 5 stars It works well, right away..., November 6, 2007
This review is from: CREATIVE EMU XMIDI 1X1 USB MIDI Interface
The product works well and is available at a great price! I own the latest iMac, which has GarageBand '08 standard - this is the set-up I'm using the cable with. There was ONE problem, which was fairly easily fixed. The MIDI-IN and -OUT cables had to be switched in order for the cable to work. In other words, the cable MIDI-IN had to be plugged into the MIDI-OUT of my Yamamha keyboard, and the cable MIDI-OUT had to to be plugged into the MIDI-IN on the keyboard. This is the opposite of what I assumed. I spent a frustrated first few minutes. But I found a posting on Apples on-line user discussion group that mentioned this issue. I don't know if the problem is with the Yamaha keyboard or with the USB-MIDI cable. Anyway, it was an easy fix and it worked perfectly after I figured this out. MIDI is a cool technology. I'm glad to be using it to record.

4.0 out of 5 stars works great after some troubleshooting, September 13, 2007
vzero (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CREATIVE EMU XMIDI 1X1 USB MIDI Interface
I used this with my macbook (07') and a Yamaha psr-275. It took a little bit to figure out, but it worked great once I:

a)realized that I had to check my midi controller preferences on my mac and

b)actually had to REVERSE my in and out midi jacks on the keyboard. I'm not sure if it's the cable or the keyboard, but I did read on one of the several forums that someone switched the cable in and outs and it worked.

This took me quite a bit of time and research to figure out but once I did, it was pretty cool to use my garageband keyboard effects on a physical keyboard.

Rate and Discover Movies