5.0 out of 5 stars APRIL 2013 MODEL
Published 20 months ago by Ed

3.0 out of 5 stars At least it comes off easy.....
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:47 Mins
Published on August 22, 2012 by smartydog904

5.0 out of 5 stars APRIL 2013 MODEL, April 16, 2013
This review is from: CREE Q5 LED Flashlight Torch w/ Holster and Bike Holder Super BRIGHT!!!! (Misc.)
After reading the reviews a few weeks ago I decided to buy another light, but when the price dropped to $8.95 I took a chance. It arrived today and I can only imagine that the one I received is an improved model. It has none of the problems other reviewers mentioned such as a loose beam adjusting bezel, cheap, easily broken handlebar mount. The beam adjusting bezel is tight, requiring two hands to move, bumps on the road will not change the setting, collision with a semi might. The mount is obviously different from the one pictured. This mount is not adjustable from side to side, but it is sturdy. I do not anticipate anything but severe abuse will damage it. It is one piece molded and both screws threading into steel nuts. One screw secures the light to the mount so it will not fall out as some reviews said. There are two ways to install the mount to the handlebars, one leaves the light far out front and liable to vibration, but if you attach the mount with the adjusting screw towards the rider, it will center the light on the handlebars and minimize vibrations and the tendency for the mount to turn on the handlebars. That way it will not have to be overly tightened - which might lead to breakage. The tail cap switch has two modes, if you push it fully once it turns on, but then you can cycle through the three actual light modes (HIGH, LOW, and FLASH) by slightly pushing the tail cap button WITHOUT switching the light off. Pushing it fully will switch off the light. From the reviews of people complaining that switching between the three light modes is a hassle, either they don't know this, or their lights have different switches. This one is NOT a hassle to change light modes when riding.
All in all I am surprised at the quality of the light and the mount, given the many poor reviews. Evidently there are variations of this light, some with quality control and design problems. The one I received is an excellent light.
The beam is bright, brighter than a light I paid 12X as much for years ago, and the beam is very even and white from center to edge. O-ring seals should make it totally waterproof for the road. And no expensive special order batteries needed. I use rechargeable AAA batteries, so with new alkaline batteries it should be brighter yet. There are two rubber inserts to accommodate two handlebar sizes. And a belt holster was included.
I ride rural roads in pitch darkness. I need the light to avoid collisions with deer and smaller animals. Given the bike light I am accustomed to, I expect that half power with this light will be adequate. Full power will likely annoy the occasional oncoming traffic.
If any problems arise, I will revise this.
*** NOTE: I added a photo showing the differences with the advertized mount, and showing how to attach the light correctly to the mount to avoid problems by balancing the light over the handlebars. If installed backwards ahead of the handlebars, it is much more liable to vibrate, droop and fall off - problems other reviewers mentioned.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome product, sorta., February 25, 2010
Stickman (Virtually everywhere.) - See all my reviews
First, to this sellers credit, all the issues I'm going to list below have been promptly and professionally responded to and resolved. All together I bought four of these.

The quality of the flashlight is outstanding. I have a LedLenser I bought here on Amazon for over $100 (P7) and the LED flashlight that comes with this kit is 90% as bright as the P7. And that's not just my opinion, that's using a light meter bought here on amazon as well. The light is a nice bright white and as has a useful range of about 1/8 mile (660') (reflective range about double that.) The one down side is one of the LED flashlights had a defective battery holder, which was promptly replaced. The flashlights have a beam adjustment for range; short and wide or long and narrow or anything in between. At the long range, the light pattern is a perfect square. As you pull it back, it goes out to a round spot and the further you pull it back it goes to a wide flood. The switch goes low-off-high-off-high flashing-off. The high flashing mode is insanely effective if you want people to see you.

Now the bike mount. It functions well, but I did have to use some old vinyl 7/8" tubing to act as a spacer on my 22mm handle bars. Its pretty easy to adjust and goes up and down and left and right. You may also notice it's "sloppy." If so, you pull out the little rubber pad and there is a screw in there that you can tighten to take up the slack. I had to tighten all 4 I bought.

Now here is the problem. I bought 4 total, 2 of which broke. The seller is replacing both. One broke in the mail and one just broke on it's own. It was fine after a ride and then the next day I came out and it had snapped during the night. The problem is the plastic hinges seem to be a bit brittle. They broke right were the metal pin goes through them. It's really very thinly molded in that area. Two are still hanging in there and we'll see how the two new ones do. I strongly suggest only tightening the nut just enough to keep the mount from turning.

I put two on each bike. One is focused long range and the other wide range. You can easily be seen a mile away, and with the two of them like I have them setup, close stuff is visible and long range is also very well lit at least out to 1/8th mile.

Based on the price, (I paid $25 each) I don't see how you can go wrong. The flashlight is really equal to a $100 LedLenser P7 (okay 90%) and if the bike mounts hold up, then that's a bonus.

3.0 out of 5 stars At least it comes off easy....., August 22, 2012
Length:: 0:47 Mins

This light is 4.445 oz with batteries installed and goes for $3.25 with free shipping on ebay! I paid $14 bucks and change for it here. I don't see the big brightness everyone else does, yes maybe in the trees in the back yard but installed on bike not so much. Of course the street signs jump out their designed that way to be reflective. But going down the side walk or street, not so much. I have a quick video and a photo, judge for yourself. YES the mounting system is HORRIBLE!!! again ebay has a lot of choices for under $4 bucks. The lens on mine is filthy, smudged and spotty. The square you see at full zoom also shows the grid pattern of the circuit board, nice?? It does jump around a bit with bumps but no too badly. It is really bright at full zoom in square pattern, but who rides with a light pattern like that?? no one that doesn't want to get run over, the wider the pattern the better. The wider you go the less bright it is. A little disappointed after all the hyped up reviews. The guys shot out the window is impressive but not as impressive on the bike going down the street. The video was shot with a Contour helmet cam. Sorry it's a little crude, hard to hold cam and adjust flashlight, I gave it a shot.

In the video you can see it does not give a very long view of sidewalk in the wide angle. At it's brightest it goes farther down sidewalk but into a point, you can't see to ride down the sidewalk. This is a good flashlight for other activities, not for a bike light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best purchase i ever made., December 3, 2010
Had the torch for about a month now. Works great. Crazy bright and haven't had to change the batteries yet. been using it 1 or twice a day. the bike mount didn't interest me but i'm very happy with my purchase. Just wish i didn't have to cycle through all the modes to get back to 240 Lm mode.

2.0 out of 5 stars Probably worth the $20, November 16, 2010
The bike mount is loose and really needs to be epoxied into a fixed position if you plan to use it - mine was amazingly loose and rattled until the light half fell off the mount half. Others on the web confirm this situation to be common.

The emitter is not nearly as bright as other Q5 emitters, and in fact is about as bright as a 1W headlamp I bought at Home Depot for $10.

That said, for $20 + epoxy, it's a pretty decent bike light for conspicuity, though not for visibility. I'll keep it around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cree Q5, August 9, 2012
This product and it's mount both came in the world's cheapest looking box, so that worried me at first. However, the product itself seems to be well-made. I was able to install it on my Specialized Crosstrail Disc within a minute. To do so, I removed the thinner rubber gasket on the inside of the ring and left just the thicker gasket. This allowed the clamp to adhere to the handlebars perfectly.

The clamp is plastic and without over-tightening it, or wrecking my bike, I don't think this clamp is as fragile as others have noticed.

For the money, you'd be hard pressed to find a brighter lamp than this. I'm satisfied so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright Lights, July 18, 2011
These are amazing little flashlights. I use them on my bikes as headlights. These are a quarter the cost of a relatively good bicycle headlight and work better. These lights are very capable of shining brightly 2 blocks away which means you can be seen at very safe distances and you will be able to see whatever you are trying to see very well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Glass falls off, battery connection may be lost when road is bumpy., December 7, 2013
Jux (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
I chose to buy this product because of all the amazing reviews. But I end up not too happy abou the product. The road I travel is a bit bumpy. The len falls off the flashlight after 1 month. The battery connection gets loose when the road is bumpy, so the light will went off by itself sometimes. It is bright and gets the job done normally.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good light for the price, May 19, 2010
I purchased this flashlight and bracket mount for my wife's bike. Additionally, I purchased another 5 different models/brands of flashlight mounts, figuring they were not that expensive after all, and I was looking for the very best to fit my 700 lumens flashlight. This item is good, but not superb. More than for the bracket itself, I am giving this 3 stars because the Cree Led flashlight (3xAAA) is a good addition for the price. It is not superb for back-country trails at dusk (needless to say at night), but at least it will prevent you from hitting a tree. The zoom is not all that useful, as is goes from virtually a dime pinpoint (very bright but useless) to a nicer round floodlight (the only useful "setting"). This is good if you're planning to mount on a road bike for going to the supermarket, and just want to be seen by other vehicles. It is not for technical riding or if you're betting your safety on it for outback riding.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty bright for the price, November 26, 2013
I was pretty surprised at the brightness from this. For the price, I decided "what the hell, I'll try it" and glad I did. I use it on my commuter and it's not bad. If I use it as a blinking headlight it does the job fine. As a "look out for flats" light...well its bright but not that bright. You can focus it which helps, but the falloff at a distance is a bit much for commuting at speed. Also, it's not a "fits all handlebars" headlight. My Fisher has tapered bars and i have kind of rigged this on the outer portion to point ...close to center as I ride.

Other than a few mild shortcomings it's not a bad headlight at all.