Published 4 months ago by David H. Obelcz

3.0 out of 5 stars Cooks well but not cheap to fix
Published 16 months ago by John McGing

5.0 out of 5 stars It Helps To Read The Owner's Manual - And About Those Peeling Handles, September 19, 2014
This review is from: GE CSA1201RSS Cafe Advantium 1.7 Cu. Ft. Stainless Steel Over-the-Range Microwave - Convection
Full disclosure, owned the previous model PSA1201RSS for two years. This model has a TSB out for peeling door handles (as one other reviewer wrote). However, their review is not for this improved model. If you have an Advantium oven with the peeling door handle don't just order the handle - replace the whole door. It is a new handle design that addresses the problem. My door was replaced under warranty.

Bought a new house, miss our oven so much we're having one installed here. If you're considering one remember this:

1) You cannot run it as a microwave with the metal tray and/or racks in - it will dramatically shorten its life
2) You cannot run it as an oven without the metal tray at least in - it will dramatically shorten its life.
3) You cannot soak the control panel down with soapy water to clean it - you can short it out. You clean it simply by wiping with a microfiber cloth. Done.

All three of these points are in the owner's manual - which I'm going to speculate a lot of people don't read. When I sold my last house I purposely put the owner's manual around all the racks outside of the oven and wrote a note to the new owner, "do not use until you read."

OK - rant over - here is the goods.

This does almost everything. My fiance and I have used ours for:

We have used it for proofing dough, as a warming oven, and we have used it for baking and cooking as a convection oven. It isn't quite a true second oven replacement (read on) but it provides completely even temperatures for baking so things like cookies, cakes, pies, etc. come out perfect every single time.

You can program it to come on at a set time, cook for a set period, at a set temperature and then stop.

The speed cook function is tremendous. It combines the microwave and halogen oven at the same time. Because the microwave is used at reduced power, you can use the metal tray (not the racks) for speed cook mode.

You can bake two large potatoes, crispy skin on the outside (cooking trick, brush with olive oil for crispy skin and sprinkle with Kosher salt on the outside) in 13 minutes. They are fluffy inside, not microwaved "streamed" tasting.

You can cook (reheat) frozen foods in 1/3 to 1/2 the time on the package. So frozen taquitos can be booked in 9 minutes instead of 27. You can bake crescent rolls in the can in about 1/2 the time you would in a conventional oven, crispy outside, flaky inside.

There are hundreds of pre-programmed cook settings for a wide range of food items and dishes. Whether you're using it as a simple microwave to cook bacon, or you're using the speed cook function to roast meat. Yes, you can even roast in it.

The capacity for a microwave is huge, at 1.7 cubic feet, and if you're a family of 2 or 3, you'll probably find yourself using this for most of your baking needs. I rarely used our oven.

So what can't it do?

Certain food types won't bake well using speed cook or the convection halogen cooking - that is why I say it isn't a perfect stand in for a second oven if you want 100% versatility. It can't broil (the 240 Volt version apparently can). In addition we have found certain vegetables, like whole spaghetti squash, or a whole roasted cauliflower, won't cook properly in the oven. The insides never seem to heat up when used strictly as a conventional convection oven. As a microwave or speed cook no problem.

We found this to be a huge time saver - and we just bought this unit for installation in our home.

Oh, and on the peeling handles - again that was the previous model. This model has the redesign and does not have that issue.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cooks well but not cheap to fix, September 27, 2013
John McGing (Columbia, MD USA) - See all my reviews
I've owned one since Sept 2005, and it was used daily as microwave and weekly as a speed cook (does great roasts) and at holidays the extra cooking area was essential. In 2012 the keypad died, but a replacement was $120 and I was able to replace the keypad myself; wasn't very hard. (If you've ever replaced items in a computer, it was just as simple/complex.) Now we are getting sparking. Replaced the wave guide (6.95 part) and really cleaned the interior and it was seemingly fixed. Yeah. Until it started up again this morning. Not sparking like it was before I replaced the wave guide (that was scary) but even once is enough that it can't be used. Might be a cleaning issue still but if so, it's grease inside the cabinet itself, not in the stainless cooking box. So if it's the magnetron, it's getting beyond my self help skill set and becoming a pricing issue because of parts and labor. 8 years of use is OK, but would expect it to last twice that. So I love the thing for cooking, but am not happy with durability.

But we did but the latest and greatest model for two reasons: The new model would fit EXACTLY into the space left by the old one, meaning it was zero work installing it (no tile to be cut or adjusted). The second is that we missed the versatility. This new model cooks like the old, but also has convection which we've used a couple of times a week. The speed cook approach is more nuanced, took us two roasts to figure out how to cook them right but now they are great (again). Hoping durability is at least 10 years.

1.0 out of 5 stars Amortizes to $30/month for a dangerous piece of junk that GE will not stand behind, November 19, 2013
While searching for others with the same problem we're having I found these reviews: our Advantium died in about 2 1/2 years. We work from home and, one day, smelled smoke that we traced to our Advantium which was turned off and that had been turned off for some time. It was hot to the touch. We unplugged the Advantium and the the smoke smell went away: it had spontaneously turned on and was melting itself down. Plugging it back in turns it on without pressing any buttons. GE says this is not a fire hazard because there are supposed to be safety's to prevent it from burning down the house. I'm not so sure -- their credibility is shot -- but even if there are those safety's are built with the same low quality as the Advantium so cannot be reasonably relied upon. GE says the problem is with the keypad but that there aren't any more keypads to buy, probably because they all fail. The Advantium is a piece of junk. Save yourself money and protect your family from this potential fire hazard: avoid GE appliances.

[Update: after several calls and an eternity on hold GE acknowledged the problem and send a tech with a new Advantium that seems to be working well. I wouldn't buy another -- there are clearly QA issues with the Advantium -- but after lots of time on the phone GE did make this right. I'd still prefer a different manufacturer though and wish I'd bought a different cooker. If you're in the market for a microwave/cooker buy a different one.]

5.0 out of 5 stars We loved ours, September 13, 2014
bzbx (Memphis, TN) - See all my reviews
Full disclosure: We had a white model, not the stainless steel. That being said, we owned ours for 10+ years and used it daily as both a microwave and convection oven. The only trouble we had in all that time was that handle snapped at the bottom. Replacing the handle involved removing the door and disassembling it. I bought a replacement handle from an online source, but then decided the job was more than I wanted to bother with. Our friendly appliance guys obliged for $80.
It was still going strong when we sold our house and I would love to put one in our new house. I've heard the negative reviews about the 120 model since right after we bought ours … but our experience was absolutely great. I hope yours is, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than I expected, June 26, 2013
Many more features than advertised. Reading the manual is highly advised to get the most out of this product. It even has an automatic fan function for over a range use if there's too much heat buid up.

1.0 out of 5 stars Considering that they charge $160 for the handle online I would be better off just buying a new microwave especially considering, August 26, 2014
Purchased 13 months ago. The handle is not real stainless steel. The heat from the range has caused the plastic covering to chip, peel, and bubble revealing a cheap white plastic that is beyond ugly, not to mention the fact that I now have metal paint falling into my food when I cook. I called GE to have the handle replaced (they sell the handle online, but the entire door needs to be disassembled to install it) and they told me that it would be an $80 "diagnostic" fee plus parts and labor to replace it. When I told the lady that I did not need the problem "diagnosed" since the problem is obvious she was rude and very short with me and told me that that charge was unavoidable. Considering that they charge $160 for the handle online I would be better off just buying a new microwave especially considering that the new handle would likely chip and peel like the last one. Complete waste of money. Beyond disappointed with the product and their service.

5.0 out of 5 stars She said, March 8, 2014
My wife does 90% of the cooking in our home and I asked her what she thought of our new GE Cafe Series CSA1201RSS 1.7 cu. ft. Over-the-Range Advantium Speed Oven & Microwave and she said, "I love it. I may never use our regular (range) oven again". I use it for the usual things that most men use it for. Popcorn, heating coffee, warming left overs and the like and for me, I think it is also great. It reheats just about anything I have tried to just the right temperature. If there are any cons with this appliance, I haven't run across them yet.

2.0 out of 5 stars Five Year Lifetime, September 9, 2013
You'd expect more than five years out of a product in this price range. However, the control panel died after five years. Well not quite died. You can still make things happen, it's just not always what you expect. You hit the "3" and you get "4". You hit the "Start" button and it goes to "Help." On top of that, the fan filters are really flimsy, the tab you use to take them out to clean broke after the fifth time out. We are going to buy a counter microwave (definitely NOT GE) and a real vent hood.

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage, July 5, 2013
Is not a strong enough adjective for this product. Barely 4 years old and has already cost an arm and leg in repairs. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT BUY THIS. The keypad has now failed and is completely non responsive
Eg

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not waste your money with this, April 25, 2014
After our GE Café microwave touchpad went out after only 3 years GE said it would cost $800 to fix. So we purchased this advantium oven. It shipped and would not heat up. We returned it but ended up getting a Breville countertop for $299 that we like much better.