TOP 500 REVIEWERon July 10, 2013
Verified Purchase
ORIGINAL REVIEW TITLE: "The odds are well stacked against you... and that is NO FUN! (Update: Dev response in comments!)" (was 2 stars)

NEW REVIEW UPDATE IS HERE (original review is below it): Wow! The developer did a MAJOR update to this game and it's extremely playable now!

Here is what he/she/they posted in the comments to this review:

"Hi Thom :
I just update a new version and finish Amazon's review .
And I do these changes as below
====
1. Make game more easy
2. Add Mute Sound function
3. Remove extra permission
4. Add How to Play Pages
5. Add cross platform global rank service (Beta)
======
Please update it to try .
If you have any suggestion . Just post here .

I DO understand that the developer's first language is NOT English, and I am okay with that. The help pages are in need of an overhaul BUT I am glad that they are now there! Therefore, I am offering TO the developer, if he would like, I would offer a good English translation. NO strings. I'd just like to do it for them because, well, they really are working hard on this game to make it better.

I also appreciate that the pace of the game was slowed down somewhat. It's hard to explain in detail because I am not 100% on exactly what they changed internally in the code, BUT the game definitely "feels" different now and is quite fun to play!

They cleaned up the permissions? EXCELLENT!

Mute sound from within the game? NICE and convenient!

The new (beta) global rank service may be fun for some. I personally am not into that sort of thing BUT I can't knock it because as long as it doesn't get hacked and it stays fair, it will probably be fun for many people to compare themselves to.

Due to the hard work the developers put into this game so far, I have to say that I am TOTALLY won over and thus I can only respond by doing the right thing and raise my review to FIVE well deserved stars (up fro only TWO)! My PROPS to the developer and I look forward to future updates and also trying other games that you create!

THANK YOU!

ORIGINAL UNEDITED REVIEW IS BELOW:

Basically the idea is to line up five "balls" of one color or style in a row. Click one and you can then move it anywhere you want as long as nothing is obstructing it. However, every move you make causes more balls to pop up on the board randomly-- and that is the game's fatal flaw: the sheer amount of randomness and the plethora of new balls that get added to the board for every single move that you make. But more on that later... there is more to describe. As the new balls pop up every move, now and then "special ones" will randomly appear-- examples are bombs, "any color" balls and directional pieces (that will basically allow you to move/destroy pieces in ways you normally can't). As for bombs, if you can line up two bombs at either end of a row then it will cause an explosion, taking a bunch of pieces with it.

And then I just threw up my hands. The board just keeps filling up with random pieces faster than you can clear them no matter what you do. There's just no way to get ahead. Beyond that, I became so bored that I just couldn't continue. I had this game back on my Palm Pilot years ago and I didn't play it then either for the same reasons.

In short, the fatal flaw of this game is the sheer randomness and unfair amount of new pieces that constantly pop up. It takes away the actual skill factor because there's no way to beat this game that I could find; it is solely up to chance, each and every move you make being responded to with pure randomness by the game. Because of that there's actually no real amount of skill involved because it gets negated instantly.

Therefore, it's just an exercise in frustration and for that reason I cannot recommend it. Instead of you playing the game with any hope of logical rewards you're just playing a random board of chance.

Also, the lack of in-game instructions just show me that the developer barely cares about the game. It feels unfinished, it looks unfinished and without any instructions or anything it isn't actually finished. If the developer doesn't care about their game then why should I? Did they even play test it? If they did then how could they have missed the part about it being completely not fun (and not fair)? Even the description of the game here on Amazon is tossed together and isn't even proof read. Well, the game reflects that lack of attention to detail as well.

Don't even bother with this even as the free app of the day. It just isn't worth it.

1 star is all that I could come up with for this mess, I'm sorry.

**********

(UPDATE: I have now raised the rating to two stars because the developer has commented below this review in my comments. I believe the developer is sincere and therefore I gave him a star for showing up and I promise that I will keep an eye on things and will raise the rating accordingly if he follows through on what he says he's going to do.)

(UPDATE 2: As you can see if you read this whole thing... I have raised the review to 5 stars and explained why, above.)
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Verified Purchase
I enjoyed this game. The negative reviews are correct about one thing: this game is hard. I've played it a few times and I have not cleared the board. However, the special marbles are a neat addition to the game play. I would recommend this to advanced gamers or people who enjoy challenging games.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Verified Purchase
Despite the spot on reviews I decided to give the game a try since it is the faotd..however after a few rounds attempted on Easy I found a win to be impossible. It would be a fun game if only 1or2 pieces came in after each move, however it takes very few moves to fill the board thus making a win impossible. It is frustrating rather than enjoyable. Unistalled after 3 plays. Samsung GS3.
Verified Purchase
On easiest, I maxed out at 560. Maybe less balls in the face would be a good thing unless you like to be regularly beaten. A swap left to right or top to bottom option would do wonders for this game. Even with all the negative reviews, I thought that I would give the game a chance. I'm still not sure if it is worth more than 2 stars but I see potential.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 12, 2013
Verified Purchase
yes instructions would be nice and yes it is hard but there's nothing wrong with this game it actually works exactly like a game of this type is supposed to
Verified Purchase
[UPDATE 2013/07/21: Due to the extraordinary responsiveness of the developer, and his very hard work in improving this app, I've reevaluated the game and changed my review to cover the new version.]

Star Trek fans will understand what Kobayashi Maru means. For those of you unfamiliar with the term, it is an exercise in futility; the "No Win" scenario. In the Star Trek universe, it is a test that academy seniors endure to test how they would handle a "no win" situation.

In this game, you try to keep up with the computer to prolong your game and increase your score. You do this by getting five (or more) of the same color pieces in a line - horizontally, vertically, or diagonally. You are aided by special pieces with bombs and arrows, which will destroy pieces in neighboring squares or along the line in which it points, respectively. There are also multicolored pieces, also sometimes with a special inside, which can be added to a line to replace the needed color.

The game now is easier to play since the FAOTD release, at least on the "easy" level. I played for over a half-hour on easy, and was slowly losing; however, it felt that I *might* have a chance which greatly added to the pleasure of playing the game. Now it feels fun instead of frustrating; kudos to the developer for that! Be forewarned that occasionally the game doesn't understand that you want to use the piece to eliminate a line if it is placed at the end against another multicolored piece (in other words, three colors and two multicolors don't necessarily trigger the line's destruction). Also, there is still a movement bug where a piece would occasionally not move despite it being a legal move, but hopefully that's on the list of things to do for the developer.

The scoring is simple. Too simple, as in my opinion you should get a higher score for getting more than 5 pieces in a row. But, you simply get 10 points per piece, whether it is matched or destroyed. The graphics and sound are decent, and there is no background music. This game could use some sort of background music; I nominate Darth Vader's March to go with the overall theme of impending failure.

The developer added a leaderboard, and it appears something of his own creation, or at least an unknown leaderboard that doesn't (yet) seem as evil as previous well-known leaderboards.

One last thing: the developer's native language is NOT English, so there are spelling and grammatical errors. Please don't disparage the developer for that, as he really is trying. He's responsive and eager to please.

Here is a promising developer with a decent game that's now fun. I am comfortable giving four stars to the game for the enjoyment and for the deserving efforts of the developer.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 11, 2013
Verified Purchase
I downloaded this game as the FAotD in spite of the bad reviews and I'm glad I did. The game is hard, but it's addictive. The game needs instructions, no doubt about it, and it needs a bit of polish, that's true too, but what surprised me are the whiners complaining that it's too hard and that they think it's no fun. Well, that's just sour grapes to me. I've played the game for about an hour and reached a high score of 1,145 on "Normal" (which was several times my first game's score). Now, the score block has 6 places so maybe that's still not that high a score, but I had fun. Is it frustrating, yes. Is it hard, yes. Is that a good thing, Yes!

So, here are my suggestions for the developer:
1) When you match more than 5 in a row or in more than one direction there could be more bells and whistles (not to mention extra points) to commemorate doing something cool.
2) Allow changing the background.
3) Allow disabling the sound.
4) Add basic instructions or a tutorial
5) Allow points to build based on setting up combination plays (and play a congratulations sound)
6) The Rate Me goes to the wrong app in Amazon
7) Don't give in too much to the weenies and make it too easy.

For the record I don't care about comparing my score to the rest of the world.

I had one instance where it just refused to let me move a piece that was in the open.
I had one instance where the app went away during game play (possibly force close, possibly a simple exit).

So, not a 5-star game, but it has the potential to be once it has been polished. I was tempted to give it 5 stars just to counter the bad reviews, but that's not my style.
on July 11, 2013
Verified Purchase
I almost didn't download this free app of the day because of all the negative reviews. But I'm glad I did! It's challenging but not impossible. I played it for nearly four hours tonight and only played two rounds - not the instant loss some others have talked about and I did not find it at all frustrating as it was for some other reviewers. Granted, I played on Easy level but I did enjoy it very much. Going forward, I believe I will enjoy the challenge of playing at harder levels and trying to beat my own high scores.

After playing a few times, changing my rating from a 5 to a 4. I still enjoy the game and think it's fun. But I wish you could save a game and come back later, and an undo button and high score tracking would be nice.
Verified Purchase
I decided to give this game a chance because it has reasonable permissions and the negatve reviews seemed a little excessive. I am glad I did.

This game is easy and relaxing. The play is easy enough to figure out without instructions. The special function balls make it more interesting and help keep the board cleared enough to keep playing.

I am not sure what all the complaints are about. It is what it is - a simple game that takes a little concentration to keep ahead of the added balls. If they didn't add balls there wouldn't be any play. It works well on the kindle hd. The point of the game is to beat your own score.
Verified Purchase
The free app of the day for July 10, 2013 is CSG Crazy Ball Power Lines Match5 from CodingCake.

I know most are going to be wondering why I am giving this 3 stars rather than the one star it probably deserves. But I will get to that later in the review.

There are a lot of negatives about this one:

1. A terrible and somewhat confusing name for this game. Keep it short and memorable. Something like Marble Chains would have been a much better title than the one the app maker used.

2. A lack of a training tutorial mode. You can't expect us to understand the game without any instructions. I will give the instructions below to those who are completely confused by this game.

3. A lack of features for a paying game. You got to add features to an app you are going to charge for or people will feel ripped off when they realize that the quality of this app feels like a free app.

4. Like I mentioned above, the overall quality of this app feels like one you would expect to get for free. There are no hint features, list of accomplishments, high score tables, etc. This is a bare bones release.

5. Requires too many permissions for a simple game that doesn't require online access to play at all. Ordinarily I don't mention permissions in my reviews but by now publishers who participate in the Free App of The Day program by Amazon should KNOW and EXPECT to get bad reviews for permissions that some are going to find totally unnecessary.

6. Putting a "Rate Me" option on the main menu. That is asking for bad reviews on Amazon every time.

Now here is why I am giving this game 3 stars out of 5: The game is actually playable. Here is how you play it. The object of the game is to get 5 marbles of the same color in a row either horizontally, vertically, or diagonally. Each turn you can move a marble anywhere on the board as long as there are no marbles in the path (horizontally, vertically, or a combo of the both of them but not diagonally) of the spot you want to move the marble in. Then more marbles will appear. You keep moving marbles around until the game ends when there are no more free open spaces.

The marbles with different color wedges are wild marbles meaning they can be any color you want. The marbles with arrows will remove all of the marbles in that row or column directly to the side of the arrowhead.

It is actually an OK game once you know the rules.

Because the app maker seems to be rather naive and apparently hasn't done their homework on what makes an app worthy of being a paid app and worthy of getting good reviews, I am going to give them a little slack this time and give them 3 stars out of the 5 stars possible since they do have a game concept that if greatly improved would be actually worth paying for.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations