Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

100%
Format: Paperback|Change

on October 21, 2012
I've been reading this book for about a week and while this book is fantastic in some parts, it is severely lacking in others. Firstly, you are going to want to have a solid understanding of CSS 2.1 before you crack open this book. I think this book's single biggest weakness is the fact that it tries to be the CSS3 version of the wonderful PHP Solutions book but it fails miserably. the examples are incomplete particularly in chapter 5. Based on the title, I bought this book thinking I was getting something along the lines of the PHP Solutions book. This book tries to do it and then just doesn't do it. It's so jarring. One example has step by step instructions and the next they paste a few snippets of code leaving out all the other CSS code that made it work. I was like um wow...how am I supposed to follow this.

Overall, I'd probably give this book 3.5 stars. This book is great at explaining the color, typographic and text additions to CSS3 but the gradient examples are kind of dated and should've been updated last year when Safari 5 came out. The logic behind the HSLa method of creating color is AMAZING and really explains why people should be using HSL/HSLa over hex and RGB/RGBa. The downside is that he uses hex, RGB and RGBa in many of the examples. That is confusing to this reader. In Chapter 6 the CSS Box Model chapter there is no mention of the box-sizing property which has been available for quite some time now. They didn't explain that there are different types of box models. They only mentioned one of the box models that was put into CSS without any good rationale behind it. The chapter on layouts is totally unnecessary and is mostly a review of CSS 2.1. I'm not sure it even belongs in this CSS3 book.

In any case, CSS3 Solutions great in many ways but the overall structure is terrible and some of the code is out of date. I'm certainly glad I read this book but boy this book could've really been great. It needs some restructuring and the author needs to put more time into the material he's presenting. I can't say that I didn't enjoy reading this book. I'm still tempted to recommend it in spite of its glaring flaws. I think they need to title this book something else. It doesn't really qualify as a "Solutions" book. It's more of an almost reference book with incomplete examples mixed in.