4.0 out of 5 stars 4.0 is the first version I have bought
Copied from above
The new version sports a convenient user interface and adds 1,000 training exercises,
Total to 2,200 basic exercises and 1,800 auxiliary exercises altogether.

If you have 7 apples on a table and you add 3 apples does that mean you have
10 new apples? No. A reasonable person could conclude that the 3 are new.

As far...
Published on May 25, 2010 by sirannon2

1.0 out of 5 stars A Ripoff - Stay Away
Avoid this software like the plague.

First, it is not new - it is CT-ART 3.0 with Mate Studies added. If I had known that I wouldn't have bought it. And they lie on the box and in their web info. I only found out by going to their support site. Which is another nightmare, by the way.

Second, the new interface, Peshk is a Piece of Garbage. I own the...
Published on January 13, 2010 by M. Montgomery

1.0 out of 5 stars A Ripoff - Stay Away, January 13, 2010
This review is from: CT-ART 4.0 Chess Tactics Training Software (CD-ROM)
Avoid this software like the plague.

Second, the new interface, Peshk is a Piece of Garbage. I own the software, I bought it, and will be returning it to the USCF. I can't get the thing I bought, CT-ART 4.0 not Peshk, to install or register it. In fact I can't even tell you where it is. I bought, I remind Convecta, a licensed copy of their software. I didn't buy the right to attempt to endlessly contact their server to get their permission to run something I own. Or endlessly write tech support for help. There is no excuse for this.

It is software from hell. You have no idea what you are supposed to do. Another example of bad programming from ChessNOTOk. Not to mention more bad English.

One star is too high. Even zero stars is too high. A waste of both time and money. Stay away from it at all costs.

1.0 out of 5 stars intallation was a hell for this software, June 25, 2010
Adora Philadona (Bay Area CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CT-ART 4.0 Chess Tactics Training Software (CD-ROM)
I had to agree with the two comments. I bought this for my son and the installation was a hell for me. Loading the software was Okay but the problem started right after that, it opened up a registration window and you thought you registered it but it does not do a thing. You ended up could not close the "registration" window and you are stuck there. I had to shut down the computer and to get back to the stage before the "registration". (I actually loaded twice to make sure I did not load unproperly).

I then clicked all the buttoms that I could click and somehow got it to work. I loaded this software on three computers and still was not able to document how I made it to work.

The booklet is almost useless. Why this is not tested before the release? I had thought about the possibility that the copy I got was a home-ripped copy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, August 3, 2010
Amazon Customer (Charlotte, New Caledonia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CT-ART 4.0 Chess Tactics Training Software (CD-ROM)
Convekta (ChessOK) has access to some excellent training material, which is a real shame. The chess world would be much better served if Convekta did not exist at all and this material could be published by someone reputable. If you deal w/ Convekta directly, be prepared .... they are mafiosi.

I purchased this program from their download site, from which they are supposed to email you a key for unlocking the download. The first email I received had an empty space for the key. When I complained, they sent me a new key, but when I tried to "activate" the download, I received an error message "There is no new courses activated." Again I complained, and the "customer service rep" (some thug in a back room somewhere) first said, "Perhaps you forgot your password." We exchanged emails for a week, during which time he asked for my account ID and password, and relayed information from his "programmer" concerning the state of my account, but never progressing anywhere on resolving my problem. Finally he said, "Perhaps you downloaded it already from another account."

I finally gave up and filed a claim w/ PayPal for a refund.

But then I bought the program on CD from another vendor, thinking that might be a good workaround. Wrong. The program will not install properly and will not run under Windows 7. So, your best bet is to completely avoid these wiseguys and hope they go under so a company like ChessBase can get access to their material.

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointment, January 23, 2011
This review is from: CT-ART 4.0 Chess Tactics Training Software (CD-ROM)
I owned the CT Art 3.0 and wanted it on my new Windows 7 computer so I bought 4.0. I did not have the installation problems others describe. The program loaded without a problem, and downloaded updates almost immediately. But my disappointment is that unlike the 3.0 version, the 4.0 does not have a chess playing program; the 3.0 had the "Crafty" chess engine which regularly kicked my butt. (I have a ICC rating of about 1215, which is why I am trying to improve.)It was always a good feeling to defeat it and it was a good measure of how much I was learning. The only way version 4.0 will play chess with you is to click "play" on one of the chess tactics training problems. If I had known there was no chess playing program I would not have purchased this trainer. It is a good trainer for tactics, however, though all of the software for analysis and sharing of games goes over my head.

I have only had the software for a few days so maybe there is a way to play a full chess game, but the instruction book is useless and the 3.0 version was simple to use and clearly allowed you to play a regular chess game. Overall I was not happy with the purchase, but I am working through the tactics problems and will just keep the program and look for another chess tutor program that includes chess game play.

1.0 out of 5 stars What were they thinking?, March 9, 2012
This review is from: CT-ART 4.0 Chess Tactics Training Software (CD-ROM)
This product is just awful -- awful! It's possibly the worst software I have ever used. And that is so sad, because the material is great -- all of the problems are with the interface. The interface seems to be intentionally confusing and even insulting and antagonistic. Using it is like dealing with the biggest jerk you've ever worked with.

I hear the material is exactly the same as in CT-ART 3, but with an updated interface. If this is so then I imagine that CT-ART 3 must be as good as everyone is saying, because if this horrible interface were not ruining these great problems this could have been really good software.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just buy 3.0 if you're looking for solid tactics software, February 20, 2013
This review is from: CT-ART 4.0 Chess Tactics Training Software (CD-ROM)
Probably beating a dead bush but when the newer version is worse than the previous, it's probably a bad sign. The user interface is not intuitive, and has less statistics about your tactical weaknesses than in CT Art 3.0 (or what I could find within using it in 15 minutes). Yuck.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.0 is the first version I have bought, May 25, 2010
Copied from above
Total to 2,200 basic exercises and 1,800 auxiliary exercises altogether.

If you have 7 apples on a table and you add 3 apples does that mean you have
10 new apples? No. A reasonable person could conclude that the 3 are new.

As far as installing the program it is a pain in the neck and not clear at all.

The little booklet is of no help. You have to type in the 30 digit key number.
No problem. Then it leads you that you need to download off the internet which is not the case. After about 30 minutes of grumbling I finally figured it out. In the bottom right hand corner you click on the highlighted icon not the highlighted download from the internet at the top.

This is by memory and maybe someone who remembers better can review and give a better explanation.

As far as using it I like except that it is grouped in tasks like "back rank mate" which clearly points on where it look and makes it easier and therefore your ELO rating (at least mine) is higher than it should be.

The price, check it out for yourself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and bad software, March 31, 2012
This review is from: CT-ART 4.0 Chess Tactics Training Software (CD-ROM)
I haven't played chess in years.
I wanted a way to sharpen my tactical skill.
CTART 4 seemed ideal. . .but. . .
1. You don't own the tactical problems. They are on the ChessOk server, so...you can't use the problems as though they were yours.
2. The vehicle for playing CTART 4 is a little freebie package called Peska, which, in Russian means "pawn." Again problems. I played the CTART 4 for a while, then went to bed. Next morning, I opened it again and got a weird message: "Can't open exercise." I tried everything, then wrote to the support.
3. Answer: "An xml file is corrupted. You have to uninstall Peshka and reinstall it. I did.
4. It worked until I quit and did something else. . .then when I went back to the software, I got the same message, "Can't open exercise."
5. Meantime, I purchased another Peshka exercise program and it worked for a while, until another of the packets gave me the same message, "Can't open exercise."
6. Still haven't got that one working.
Bottom line for me is: The exercises are fine, but their software container isn't there yet. The software keeps track of your progress, and you lose all the statistic when you have to reinstall.
Not sure yet if this is a Windows 7 incompatibility problem or what.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worthy of the name "software", October 20, 2013
R9 (Sacramento, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CT-ART 4.0 Chess Tactics Training Software (CD-ROM)
These guys program like there were never any coding standards published for Windows. I swear, they think it is 1995 or something in that era. The quizzes are good, but you are better off learning them out of the printed paper book. Nothing works correctly! Everything Convecta does is coded like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars not true... i love this software..., March 19, 2013
Amazon Customer (Sligo, Co. Sligo, IE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CT-ART 4.0 Chess Tactics Training Software (CD-ROM)
i read all the things people have written here about this software, and it put me off, to be honest... but, then, I thought, if this is considered the best chess training software then somebody must be using it.. so, i bought it. what can i say? I installed it "as is" on Win 7, my main Desktop, then, my Win netbook, then, my Vista "play" PC... I did not have a single problem...

As to the software? the complaints about "no hints?"... this is chess.. one is supposed to think. After using this software my ratings went up by 500+ points in 2 weeks. it is that simple. there are no "easy" hints. one is supposed to think. having said that, if one get's stuck, the software will give you an easier version to solve, again, no hints. you have to work it out for yourself, just like in a real game. (and, just to say, when I say my ratings, I mean as judged on chess.com.. )

so, conclusion? best thing I ever did, disregarding the crits here and getting, not just CT-ART 4.0 Chess Tactics Training SoftwareC-ART 4.0, but Middle Game, and Opening Lab.. all installed like a dream, on all three PCs... so, maybe the problem is not the software but the people trying to use it?
Highly recommended. ps, as is chess.com and chess mentor...I hate the program they have for sale, but the online Chess Mentor, Videos, and Tactics are gold...well, Diamond, actually... :-)

If you are serious about chess, want to improve, then I can recommend this software... well, am still using it.

[...]

CT-ART 4.0 Chess Tactics Training Software
CT-ART 4.0 Chess Tactics Training Software by ChessCentral (Windows 2000 / 95 / 98 / NT / XP)
$19.99