4.0 out of 5 stars Affordable & Useful
Nintendo's new 3DS Cartridges have a new "tab" that protrudes out the top right of the cartridge. This was done to prevent 3DS games from being placed in older DS systems. Unfortunately, this means that many of the DS accessories for games will not work for 3DS games. This cartridge case is a great way to switch over to the new 3DS cartridges.

One of the first...
Published on April 5, 2011 by Centella

3.0 out of 5 stars Some very odd design decisions were made
The case is very compact and holds a good many DS and 3DS games as well as 2 SD cards and 2 extra styli (which it does not come with, btw). However the layout of the cartridge slots is very peculiar.

Published 17 months ago by KF Mush

4.0 out of 5 stars Affordable & Useful, April 5, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: CTA Digital Nintendo 3Ds Cartridge Storage Solution Box (Accessory)

One of the first things you'll notice about this case is that it really is a $5 piece of plastic. You certainly get what you pay for. The case does feel a bit flimsy, and mine arrived with a scratch (read: gouge) on the back cover. But it still performs its intended function. It holds 22 games, 2 SD cards, and 2 styluses. I also keep my AR cards in it (including the "pouch" they came in). It's approximately the same size as the 3DS (wider, not as long as the 3DS), and does feel like an accessory for it. The transparency of the plastic is near-perfect. It's opaque enough to make it feel like a box rather than a showcase, but clear enough to see the games inside if needed.

This case definitely fulfills its intended purpose (and at only $5!), and would get 4.5 stars from me if Amazon had that rating. But there's two flaws that could make or break your purchase decision, and they are what caused me to give this a 4 star review instead of 5.

The case does have a death grip on your cartridges. It's very easy to place them into the case, and they're kept snug and secure. But pulling them out feels like digging a precious gem out of the side of a mountain. The plastic notches that hold the cartridge in place could be sanded down to make it easier to remove them, if the death grip becomes a problem.

One more thing that was slightly confusing and possibly annoying to the obsessive is that the inner sides of the two pages seem to be upside down. The result is that the space where the 3DS cartridge "tab" should be is not the top right of the cartridge slot. It's in the bottom left. You need to flip the 3DS cartridge and place it in the slot upside down. The pictures here on Amazon have disguised that fact, but my point is made more clear by looking at the styluses in the two pics. When looking at the front of the case closed, the stylus points to the top of the cartridge. The opened "clam-shell" view has the stylus pointing down at the bottom of the cartridge. They've flipped the case upside down to correct the orientation of the cartridges in the clam-shell picture. It's not a big deal to me, I simply place my old DS games in the middle pages (They fit "upside down" in the slot, which makes them right-side up). The tab placement is correct on the front and back pages, so I keep my 3DS games there. It also makes them the ones visible from the outside.

Overall, despite the two major issues that might be deal breakers for some, I still give this case 4 stars. It's simple, does what it's supposed to, and it's only $5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Adequate and affordable, March 31, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Hori's 16 DS card holder was one of my favorite gaming accessories, so I ordered one of their 24 3DS card holders. When that was delayed from launch, I went ahead and got CTA's equivalent. It does the job.

There are a few things I don't like as well as the original DS case I've got, but they're pretty picky things. The cover plastic seems a bit thinner, but short of sitting on it that's probably not a problem. The thicker plastic part of the cover obscures the game card covers a little more, though they're still plainly visible. The hinges are tighter, so flipping pages isn't as immediate.

However, it's also with its plusses. The Hori cases have no spot for styli, while this holds two. This can also hold two SD cards, though that does mean holding up to 22 games instead of 24--more than most people will ever own. The biggie, of course, is that this case is half the price of its competition.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some very odd design decisions were made, January 22, 2013

If we treat this like a western book, we would be opening it with the spine on the left. The SD slot is on this side, and I feel like it would be better suited on the back so that the game cartridges are better show-cased – appearances do matter to a degree. As well as I am the kind of person who likes to alphabetize and it frustrates me that there is an SD card slot breaking up my organization.

Also, once you open the case and turn the "page," you will notice that the interior cartridge slots face the opposite direction from the ones on the front and back. They are essentially upside down, meaning that if you want to be able to read the labels you will have to rotate the case 180°. Very odd and kind of cumbersome. I spent much more time than is healthy trying to figure out why they did this.

Finally, the quality is not consistent. Some cartridge slots are very difficult to add and remove the game cartridges, resulting in broken finger nails and pain and discomfort, while others are so loose that the games shake loose while traveling. This is quite frustrating.

Considering that it is only $5, you actually get a little more than what you pay for compared to the other, much more expensive cases on the market, so I wouldn't pass this up if you are on a budget.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Affordable 3DS Game Case, April 20, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this case for my 3DS games, and it works fine. One minor complaint about it is that is is not all that durable. I dropped it, and one of the game trays (couldn't come up with a better name) broke off permanently.I like how it can carry styli and SD Cards as well as Nintendo 3DS game cartridges.

1.0 out of 5 stars not recommended, October 11, 2013
These are very poor quality, and fell apart and broke within one month of purchase. I would not recommend this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth the Cost, March 29, 2011
SuperC142 (Southern CA, USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Prior to this, I owned the very similar DS games case by Hori. I loved this case and had every intention of buying their 3DS version of the same product. However, during my Amazon-searching travels, I found this case from CTA. This case is largely the same as the Hori version except it does one better and thoughtfully includes storage for additional styluses. The plastic is slightly thinner than the Hori version but is definitely adequate and, at half the cost, it's really a no-brainer. This is a great, compact way to store a lot of DS/3DS games. If you have more games than will fit, buy two; they're certainly priced right!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product. Better Price., August 6, 2013
Just what I needed for my games. I have so many games and this game case came in really handy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case, July 23, 2013
I buy alot of games used, and most dont come with the game case. This little holder is perfect for holding my caseless games.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, just not durable, February 22, 2013
When I first received this cartridge case, I thought it was well designed - with its included space for not just plenty of cartridges but spare stylus and memory card as well. On first looks I would have rated it highly. Unfortunately the durability of the product was lacking. In very short order ( a couple of weeks) the inner hinge pins that hold the swinging cartridge "pages" broke. I think this is from a combination of the kids having trouble extracting the very tight fitting cartridges from their slots and the weak plastic. With the inner parts off their hinges, the product is very hard to align and close. After a few more weeks, the outer spline of the case began to crack as well. We'll be looking for a better cartridge storage option now.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for adults, not for kids, December 30, 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
Its a great idea, but the ones made by nintendo are constructed better. My 7 year old cant get his games out of this one like he can the nintendo one. Its a little on the flimsy side but you get what you pay for.

CTA Digital Nintendo 3Ds Cartridge Storage Solution Box