on December 26, 2012
In short This thing is Awesome, It works great, the issues I had with it were my own doing or complications not the units. I would have bought this Along time ago if I had to do it all over again. For a longer review read the rest. If you have had problems with interference read the rest.

I love music! and stereo equipment, I live close to a major city but I have a large ridge that blocks the signals for my favorite radio stations. I also have a large main floor with a basement. I was very frustrated because I had one radio that would bring in one of my stations pretty clear but none my powerful systems would pick it up very well. I also really notice and hate static in broadcasts. The solution was to find some way to broadcast one very clear signal through out my house.
I looked at the Bluetooth systems, Sonos systems, airplay ECT. These were all cost prohibitive. To use them I would have to replace almost all of my Audio equipment. (it may not be new but it all is high quality and built up over time so I could research and afford the gear I really wanted). So buying new stuff out of the question.
It also needed a simple way to do it from one source so my wife could remember how to make it work for her or it would end up being smashed to bits and sent to the landfill. My son had a small FM broadcasting device for his phone so I started looking for one that might work at home. I started by trying to figure out how to amplify a small devices signal. Then I looked into building a small transmitter, Those two options while they looked fun were going to take a lot of time to do the right way. So I kept looking that's when I came across these little base station FM transmitters. They looked like they fit the bill.
There seems to be quite a few manufactures of what appear to be the exact same device. By spending an 10 minutes on Amazon I was able to get the best price that was also prime eligible.
What I got, it it was exactly like the picture. It was very simple to set up. To find a frequency to use I had to go to each unit to make sure I wasn't getting interference on different systems in locations through out my house. I didn't do this at first and had some static on one unit that was pretty bad . I also had to disconnect a directional amplified antenna from one unit because it seemed to create a ground loop type interference on one stereo away from the base station. Since I am using my computers broadband hook up to broadcast a clean signal I had to really dial it in to keep the noise from my computer to getting through to the broadcast. This was kind weird because I had it hooked up to my big amp and monster Altec-Lansing speakers and I didn't get that same noise then. Now it was going from Computer - FM transmitter - Tuner - Amp. I couldn't seem to get rid of the static but only on one system that was the closest to the transmitter. So I unplugged my Antenna to that and replaced it with just a 3 foot of simple coax cable. I also had to find a new frequency because there was a station that seemed to intermittently skip to that one frequency. Any way I was able to figure out how to suppress or remove the interference and now can CRANK IT up so loud as to bother the 85 year old deaf guy next door that's more than 250 feet away, So then he can walk over and complain about the Orchestral - Metal I crank (perfectly with out any static) when my wife leaves the house.. I can also use my old very Little Fm head phone Walkman thing out side and not expose my I-phone to possible dirt and damage when I work out side. It covers my yard perfectly on the settings out of the box.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 6, 2013
There are other models on the market. Smaller in size, more expensive. I tried one of them: D.O.A.! - a real toy (See my review).

Needed one in order to listen to late night TV news on a pocket MP3 player/FM radio with ear buds while spouse is asleep.

I bought the *Fashion Black* model, SainSonic 0.5W Long Range (10km) Dual Mode Stereo Broadcast FM Radio Transmitter from Amazon. Same core as this aluminum finish unit.

I am pleased to report that it is working terrifically well. Flawless performance. Perfect for my needs.

The low power setting is more than adequate for my needs. To toggle between High and Low power settings, Unplug unit from the wall outlet, Press and hold down power switch. While holding power switch pressed, plug unit back into wall outlet. Using the "up", "down" buttons toggle between "H" and "L".

Will be using a 50 Ohm 10dB BNC Attenuator Pad to be within FCC standards because this transmitter is slightly more powerful even at the Low setting.
If you shop around you will notice that BNC Attenuator prices differ greatly. I was able to find a Lot of four 50 Ohm BNC Attenuator Pads, 3db/6db/10db/20db ea., for under $20 for all four. Better offers are available, I liked the merchant's reputation.

A non-BNC attenuator will also work with a "Coaxial Adapter with F male to BNC female Connector" and a "BNC Male to F Female Adapter". However, this setup might be rather awkward.

Update:
I experimented with the 20dB BNC Attenuator and found it more than adequate for around the house, the yard, and beyond, a few blocks distance - on Low power transmission, that is.
I am keeping the 20dB BNC Attenuator on the unit to remain well within FCC requirements and yet cover my needs. It looks like this product is an excellent alternative to the less durable and more expensive ones on the market.

For user's guide just Google: Elecsky CZH-05B manual
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 14, 2012
Great unit. Only had it for a week transmitting every night, but works very well so far. Good transmitting distance, about 1/4 mile, maybe little less on high power setting.
No noise or weird hum like other transmitters.

Unit doesn't come with any manual.
In case you're wondering how to switch between high/low power output: unplug unit from electricity, hold power button, while holding plug electric in - it will show special screen to change power output so you can adjust transmitting range.
on December 21, 2012
I purchased this for use with my animated Christmas light display and am amazed at the range and clarity of the sound. I replaced my other FM transmitter due to the range and distortion of the music and am glad I purchased this.
on June 14, 2013
This unit has a clean audio compared to cheaper unit tha I bought for my car, but the harmonic frequencies are terrible.
1- I used 108Mhz and there are harmonics 300Khz below. Other harmonic freq. are 97.4Mhz, 93.5Mhz and 90.5Mhz.
2- I tuned-in to 87.5 Mhz to avoid the harmonics 300khz below the operating freq. but I have one harmonic on 99Mhz which is much better than using high freq.
Remember, this harmonic frequencies will put you in trouble with the FCC than operating on half watt because it will interfere with the broadcast frequencies in your area and neighbors will complain about this. so think twice before buying this item.
on February 5, 2013
I bought this to replace a C.Crane unit that quit working. This is quite a chunk of aluminum, and its weight and rubber feet keep the weight of the cables from pulling it off the shelf -- that's probably what got to the C.Crane.

The broadcast is strong and clear. Read the directions and the it will be easy to use.

I had one problem, not this units fault. My subwoofer gives out a nasty 60-cycle hum when this is on. I replaced signal cables and wiggled wires, but could not resolve the hum entirely, so I disconnected the subwoofer, I'd rather have the transmitter working than the woofer!
on October 29, 2013
This really goes a long way. I live on the first floor of an apartment complex and was very suprised when I could pick up it's signal almost a mile away. I have no idea how far I could get out if I lived on the 2nd or 3rd floor. The sound quality and stereo seperation are very good.. One think that did happen, I had the transmitter setting right next to my printer and I guess the strong signal it puts out fried a chip in my printer and i had to buy a new one so I suggest that you dont put it right next to any other electronic device.. Keep it at least 2.5 feet away from any other electronic divice that you have. Also sometimes it does not want to cover the higher frequency ranges like 100 to 107 fm. If that happens all you have to do is re-boot it..To do that, Un-plug it and plug it back in again holding the off/ on switch in. It will desplay and L H for low signal strength and high signal strength. Use the up down frequency button to set your desired signal strength and then your whole frequency range will come back also. No instructions come with this so you have to find out these things on your own. I keep my audio adjustment around half way up,, any higher than that may distort the signal..Have fun with this. If you just want something to cover your whole house this will do it no problem. It will not only cover your house but the subdivision you live in too...
on August 19, 2013
I'm currently using this device outside of the jurisdiction of the FCC and I have permission to use it to its full capacity. It is pretty good at transmitting signal especially using a tuned ground plane antenna - it transmits at 5K with obstructions. As far as noise or hum from devices, I was able to fix the problem using a ground loop isolator. If you are using this device in the USA, use an attenuator and set the device to the low power setting to keep from running afoul of the FCC. Also, If you need a manual for this transmitter, download the manual at [...]
on January 6, 2014
Rural folks, let's face it... We have different requirements and expectations than those who live in the city. For some, their 30 foot bluetooth speaker or WIFI based entertainment options may do the job, but for those of us that routinely dwell with space between us and our neighbors, we want (and may even NEED) something with a wider range. I am able to tell you that this transmitter can meet essentially any reasonable transmission challenge.

In an indoor installation, with stock antenna and high power setting this signal will reach at least a mile in radius in rolling hills with forest terrain. Get the antenna higher and outside of a building and I do not doubt that it will perform even more capably.

Across the pasture, the fields, the woodlot, the feedlot or the arena, this transmitter can get the signal out.

And, as rural folks, most of us really appreciate the frugal aspects of life. Austerity is not something we tremble in fear regarding, it's something we live daily. So, here is some great news... This transmitter is inexpensive to purchase and operate. The best part? You use your existing FM radios to receive the broadcast signal. Yes, including those little, cheap FM radios, car stereos, home audio receivers, tiny earbud types, you name it. Even those radios from back in the 60's and 70's. If it can receive FM radio, they can receive what this transmitter broadcasts. Around our place I can count 12 FM radio receivers in short order, there might be more. And, every last one of them can be used to listen to the transmission from this unit.

You can plug almost anything into this transmitter either via the native 3.5mm AUX jack so common today (like you would routinely find on a computer or MP3 player, or standard small headphone jack), or via another type of output jack with the right adapters to make it a 3.5mm jack which can be purchased right here @ Amazon (usually less than $10 or so, one time purchase). I have plugged in a couple of computers, a scanner (amateur radio, fire calls, airport frequencies, other public service type traffic), a weather alert radio, even our security system to this unit at one time or another. And, if you really want to get fancy, buy a cheap mixing board with separate line input volume (gain) controls, plug a few items into the mixing board, adjust the volume to your liking and then feed the output of the mixing board into the transmitter! Using this setup you can tune into one frequency on your FM radio and listen to your music collection from your computer library while also being able to hear any necessary weather alerts or other important scanner traffic, which, when mixed correctly at the board, would superimpose on top of the regular music to warn you of dangerous weather or safety conditions. If you are a volunteer firefighter and aren't always around your fire pager (some jobs are just too messy or troublesome to carry the pager around on our hip), setup your scanner to listen to the proper frequency and then plug it into the transmitter. It will alert you when a fire call comes in.

Another simple use of the transmitter would be to call numerous working parties to a central location as necessary. If you had a handful of farm workers and need them all to respond to a central location for any reason, just transmit the instructions via the transmitter while they are listening to the proper frequency while working. Pretty simple and inexpensive. Just remember, this is one way communication, they will not be able to respond to your transmissions.

I think you get the idea. Keep in mind that you need to read and understand any/all FCC requirements and tailor your best use around those requirements.
on December 30, 2013
Works incredibly well for the price. Have it placed inside my garage and can hear the Christmas music for my light display throughout my entire neighborhood.