5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun
Published on August 3, 2009 by Trevor K. Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than previous versions
Let me start by saying I've played previous BGH versions on the Xbox and PS2.

Pros:
-The Wii controls work very well for this game -- I completed the game using the new Wii Zapper and thoroughly enjoyed it.
-They have removed the animal radar (replaced by a "hunter sense," a 3rd person view that enhances animals visible on your screen).
-They...
Published on November 29, 2007 by JaZeeL

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than previous versions, November 29, 2007
This review is from: Cabelas Big Game Hunter (Video Game)
Let me start by saying I've played previous BGH versions on the Xbox and PS2.

Pros:
-They removed running fatigue.
-They have removed lodges (saving now occurs multiple times per map at various checkpoints, you don't have to spend 10 minutes hiking back to your lodge to save your game or get a different weapon, weapons can be swapped out from the menu).
-The graphics are slightly better than previous BGH versions.
-The have removed the virtually useless vehicles from the previous versions as they are not necessary since you no longer traverse from map to map to get to the next lodge.

Cons:
-There are fewer weapons (There is only 1 crossbow, and there are no bows in the game. There are only 2 pistols. However, there are numerous calibers of rifles to choose from).
-The game feels very short, there are definately fewer maps than in previous BGH versions. I completed the whole game in under 5 hours.
-The game crashed on me on 2 or 3 occasions.
-Navigating the terrain can be annoying at times because the smallest rock or log can halt you in your tracks, and there are many invisible barriers preventing you from walking places that often would serve as great vantage points.

All-in-all, it's an "ok" game. It's entertaining to sit around with your friends and chuckle during some instant hunts after you've finished the relatively short game -- as long as you're not expecting something with awesome graphics or a game you're going to take very seriously. A great buy if you can find it used somewhere.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ow... coulda been so good, November 30, 2007
Horseman (Chandler, Az. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cabelas Big Game Hunter (Video Game)
I bought this game a started playing it- I finished it on easy in 4 hours. So I put it on expert and finished it in 4.5. The graphics are not what I have come to expect in Cabelas or other hunting games for that matter. On the Wii they were not good at all.

For the game play the Wii controllers work really well for this. But the game was just poorly done. There were literally instant hunts where the mission was finished in 12 seconds or so- on a regular basis. The animals literally swarm the areas. This might be good except for you cant buy tags even- you can only hunt the ONE animal they tell you you can and the number they let you- often one.

The weapons were very few and non factors. The game picks your weapons for you to start each mission. If you chnage them you can easily be kicked out for using one not authorized.

Tracking is all but totally absent.You cant set up your own tree stands or canopies- though there are a few in the game you can use.

I do like the the fact you can hunt endless small game like rabbits and birds- if you use the right gun- which is a pain to switch out.

In all the game was fun for a bit but the graphics, weapons, hunting zones, animal populations were all below standard. It is worth it if you can get it cheap from somwhere. But, it wont last you more than a day or two of target practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun, August 3, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Cabelas Big Game Hunter (Video Game)
I brought my 7-year old son to the store to look at Wii games thinking he'd pick out a car game of some sort since he's addicted to cars. What catches his attention? Big Game Hunter! I laughed and tried to turn his attention to something else figuring he, nor I, would like a hunting game. Well, he kept coming back to it so I gave in. Plus the price was pretty low (Aug. '09)

Let me just say, we both got hooked as soon as we started playing. It's no Duck Hunt, and does take a little coordination with the nun-chuck and controller. I thought my son would have trouble figuring it out but who was I kidding? Kids a wiz with the games.

You get to hunt numerous different game. You also encounter some more aggressive animals. That's where I have to caution that this might freak the young ones out. My son gets scared when some of the wild cats attack and hands me the controls to do the work.

All in all, we've been having great fun with it. Worth the money imo.

3.0 out of 5 stars 7 year old son, January 14, 2008
This review is from: Cabelas Big Game Hunter (Video Game)
This game was a little difficult to get the hang of at first - having to use the remote as a guide to see and the nunchuk to move around. The first time my son played it, he didn't play long. After a week had passed, he tried again. We then played with the remotes and figured out how to use the scope and night vision modes. Since then he has played it almost daily. He does use something to prop his arm on so he can remain still while aiming.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big Game Hunter for Wii, February 5, 2009
This review is from: Cabelas Big Game Hunter (Video Game)
Overall this is a pretty good game. There is much to learn and much to get through, it is mostly about navigating and using your given supplies. Some of the challenges are about impossible. It took about 5 tries to get past one bear, but this may be a plus, if you were to run into a bear in the woods it may not be an easy situation to get out of. The hunts are challenging and can be exciting. Sometimes we find that it is difficult to move the hunter and get him to do what we want him to. Overall, I think it is an enjoyable game and will give our family hours of fun and learning experiences.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome hunts!, January 13, 2009
William Lynne "Cet" (Montgomery, MN United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Cabelas Big Game Hunter (Video Game)
My husband absolutely loves this game. And he is an avid hunter, now both outdoors and inside. I thought I would get a break from "hunting season" once the holidays came. I was wrong. He hunts just as much now as if he were out in the woods. It is a really cool game with amazing ways to set up your hunt. I'm not a hunter at all, but just watching the customized settings and things he does on it are pretty impressive (i.e. gun choices, ammo, maps, type of game, just the beginning...).

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun for a little while, July 2, 2008
This review is from: Cabelas Big Game Hunter (Video Game)
You're gonna dig this game for a few weeks, but it gets old shortly. Only so much you can do with hunting hooven animals. Does get fun in the higher modes when you get attacked, but otherwise not much challenge.

2.0 out of 5 stars It was not easy to learn this game, January 30, 2009
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Cabelas Big Game Hunter (Video Game)
My husband was excited when he received this game. It was not an easy game to learn. He has not been playing much because of the difficult learning curve. It may been great for someone else.

2.0 out of 5 stars not what i expected in this game, October 22, 2013
This review is from: Cabelas Big Game Hunter (Video Game)
I bought this for my kids after going to a local arcade and playing the game there as you compete head to head with someone else, which by the discription on the box it seemed we could do this at home.

To our disapointment this was not true. Yes it did have a head to head option but was nothing like we expected and the actual game was a but complicated in regards to the controls. The player is basically walking around a big area looking for game to hunt so you have to walk around for a long time which made the kids and myself loose interest in it right away which is why i gave it only 2 stars.

I would not recomend this game unless you are someone who likes to walk around in games exploring worlds.

4.0 out of 5 stars complicated, May 12, 2008
This review is from: Cabelas Big Game Hunter (Video Game)
This game is a little more complicated than just a shooting game. I am a novice with game controllers (which is why I like the wii) and find this game a challenge. I was still able to shoot some game and hope that with time, I will improve. I like the graphics and sounds. I gave it a 4 just because it's currently out of my skill level, but hope that with time that will change!

Cabelas Big Game Hunter
Cabelas Big Game Hunter by Activision Inc. (Nintendo Wii)
Used & New from: $0.01