Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on February 5, 2015
I bought this to add a second external monitor form 13' Macbook pro. Installation was a breeze. I ended up needing a newer driver which was available on Display Links web site. After that my computer picked the monitor right up. I barely notice any lagging issues which is sometimes common with USB display connections. I tried playing a video and it was smooth. I am running 2 27' inch monitors along with my Macbooks 13" display. I couldn't be happier with this product
review image
on April 3, 2012
This item is exactly as it was described. We just plugged one end into an HDMI cable, and the other into the USB port on my 6 year old laptop. We then plugged the HDMI cable into the slot on the side of our lcd tv and ran our Amazon video purchases from the laptop to the tv. The sound and picture were excellent, and it couldn't have been easier. My husband, who is very picky about electronics, was surprised by and happy with the results. If you want to run video from your computer to your tv, don't hesitate to buy this item. I'm very happy with my purchase.
PS: in case it matters to someone else, we had to switch our receiver to "CD" to get the sound.
44 comments|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 21, 2011
If you are like me and have purchased a MacBook Air (2011) and are accustomed to using multiple external monitors, it's not possible with the Air. It's a limitation that is not found on the MacBook Pro. The Thunderbolt/Display Port only support 1 external monitor. I purchased the MacBook Air for it's portability and even run Window 7 via Bootcamp.

I have done quite a lot of research on external USB to HDMI adapters and finally decided to purchase one. This one arrived today and it worked out of the package flawlessly! I'm running Windows 7 via Bootcamp. It is running an external 1920 x 1080 monitor with awesome results. I ran Netflix from a Firefox browser and the only noticeable problem was that some of the text was distorted for a moment when hovering above my bookmarks or the URL bar. It quickly adjusted in less than a second. The video is clean, crisp and fast.

I would recommend this product without any hesitation. I paid $49.95.
Cable Matters Premium USB 2.0 to HDMI Audio Video 1080P Adapter for Windows and Macbook

My MacBook Air (2011) Specs
1.3 inch
1.8 GHz i7
4 GB memory
256GB HD
22 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2014
The first one of these I ordered was Dead On Arrival. I sent it back and ordered a replacement. The replacement works... and it's such a well done product I'm giving it 5 stars in spite of the first unit being DOA.

It's one of three USB to HDMI devices I evaluated; one was by Etekcity ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F8OPKLW ) and it gave a decent picture but I couldn't get the sound to go through its HDMI output. Second best was by StarTech.com ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00612ZPQA ) and it handled the sound alright but the video in the Startech would shear every few seconds; it could not handle the bandwidth. Useful as a screen addition for programming or spreadsheets but useless for full screen video viewing.

But when I plugged this device into a USB3 port on my Mac Pro Late 2013 (the black cylinder Mac Pro) I not only got a shear-free picture on the HD projector in the home theater, I also got what looks like 5.1 output through HDMI even though I actually don't have more than two speakers (see below). In the Mac's Audio Midi Setup app (the Icon looks like a little piano keyboard) I can choose "USB3 to HDMI" - a choice I didn't see from any of the competing devices. And when I selected it I was shown six (!) volume sliders for all the 5.1 channels. And sound flows from the Mac, through this device, through HDMI cable, gets converted to optical SPDIF by a Monoprice box and goes to the home theater optically and gets decoded into hum-free perfect sound there.

After 8 months of messing with it my AV setup is finally doing what I want it to do. This part was the missing piece. Four sources (Two Mac pros of different vintages, one PS/3 and an HDMI cable to the home theater that I can plug into a laptop using this beauty: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DOZHL82 ) go into a http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-105557-Toslink-Digital-Coaxial/dp/B003L14WB8 and its output goes to my Epson projector as HDMI. But the sound is tapped from the selected HDMI and goes over an optical fiber to the theater where it is decoded by http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Analog-Converter-Adapter/dp/B005DIRI6I into powered speakers.

Using the tiny infrared remote control for the Monoprice box I can select any of my four sources; sound is chosen along with it. Mute button works on all four channels. And I have reason to believe that if I had a 5.1 sound system I could make that work also.
on September 19, 2013
The unit works great,and I haven't had any issues. i currently use it on an all-in-one HP Touchsmart PC. It only has USB 2.0, but I am able to stream Netflix movies and TV shows directly to my 50" tv. The picture is great as well as the sound. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who want s to be able to use their pc to stream movies, pics or video to an HDMI source.
on March 16, 2015
I just got a new all-in-one computer with HDMI out but no VGA or DVI out and have two external monitors which have VGA and DVI inputs. I connected one monitor to the HDMI port but had to get this to connect the other one to USB. Then I had to get an HDMI to DVI cable to go from this devices HDMI to the monitor's DVI. Works fine.
review image
on January 20, 2014
I was very surprised how well this works. It was easy to install and set up. The video quality on my TV is great even with USB 2.0. I am also running the audio over the HDMI link. This too works well, though it is stereo only as far as I can tell. I was not able to configure it for 5.1 surround or anything else. So far, I have watched 4 or 5 hours of shows and have not seen any issues with buffering or tracking of audio to video. All has worked extremely well. I am able to run a resolution of 1920x1080 with my 60" vizio TV.
on February 15, 2014
I'm an artist with an all in one touch screen Vaio computer that unfortunately didn't have any other output really other than USB. I had recently bought a Wacom Cintiq tablet and had forgotten this fact and was panicked when I realized that my new very expensive hardware would not be able to do what it was supposed to with my current PC. Thank God for this product! Works great and easy to install! I was a bit worried at first if it would work with my WIndows 8.1 and the Adapter didn't list it as one of it's supporting operating systems. But I was able to download the necessary drivers from the Cable Matters website with no problems and I couldn't be happier to finally be able to use my Cintiq and have a new second computer screen to boot where I previously thought impossible. Would definitely recommend for anyone else who dreams of having a Cintiq on a non-HDMI supporting PC computer/laptop.
on January 23, 2013
Oct 11, 2014
This just stopped working a few weeks ago. I had it on, then the tv screen just went blank. I've looked online for answers to this or how to fix it and can't find any solutions. So disappointing. Less than a year; no tech product should last such short period. Nothing on their website, either, on what fixes to try. I didn't even use it that often, maybe only a couple of times a week.

-----------------------
"Presto! Works like magic! (January 23, 2014)
I was skeptical of other customer reviews that said how easy this would work. I had gone to a local big box store to get their advice on connecting my hdmi tv with no vga to my laptop with no hdmi port. Of course, their uneducated sales staff sold me something that doesn't work. When returning it, they told me there's not a good product out there for what I need to do.
After searching the web for advice and instructions, and coming up with nothing reliable, somehow, this product showed up on my amazon product search. Since Amazon makes returns easy, I thought I'd give it a shot.

Plugged hdmi end to the tv, plugged usb to my laptop. My laptop started the set up immediately. Maybe I had to click a couple of "ok" buttons (I can't remember, it was last week). Then... Presto! I'm seeing the laptop screen on my tv screen!
on April 20, 2012
I wanted to stream internet video from my Dell Vostro 1500 (Core 2 Duo 2ghz 2gb ram)but it does not have HDMI out like many of the newer laptops. This adapter uses the usb port.

Over all setting this up was a rather simple affair. I plugged this into my laptop, installed the drivers, and then plugged in my HDMI cable. Now I can use my laptop with my home theater system and tv. This adapter has two modes. Extend will extended your desktop to what ever tv you have plugged into it (ei. dual monitors). Copy will display the same this on both screens. There is also the option of turning off your computers primary display if you only want to use the tv as a monitor. The video quality is good with no stuttering.