Published 18 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars It works, but uses illegal MAC addresses
I purchased the Cable Matters USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet adapter for a 2012 MacBook Pro Retina model. Overall it's fine: It's cheap, it works, it's reasonably quick. I do not like having to install a driver (and reboot) but it's acceptable. I recommend a web search for ASIX AX88179 drivers to locate the latest version.

One tip for Mac users: After installation,...
Published 16 months ago by Ped Xing

4.0 out of 5 stars Make sure to grab the newest software update for macbook air!, June 27, 2013
This review is from: Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter in Black (Personal Computers)
I just bought the newest 2013 macbook air and was disappointed when I saw that there was no ethernet cord to plug in to my wired network. I didn't want to use the thunderbolt to ethernet because I plan on using the port for monitor extension part, so I looked into buying the usb 3.0 port. Looking through amazon, everybody is giving this product 5 star, so I decided to buy this product!

When I installed the mac driver from the CD-ROM that comes with the cable, the performance of the internet was terrible. When I connect over the wifi, I got ~5MB using the cnet review [...] When I tried to connect using the ethernet port? A paltry 13kbps!!! I can't believe what I saw, so I googled this product, looking for updates on the driver. I found it here: [...]

Once I got it restarted, the cnet speed went up 1000x from the 13 kbps! Phew! Problem solved and I am a happy camper!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as described, March 9, 2013
Bought this for my Surface Pro. It works great. Windows recognized it and installed the drivers. It's fast and does the job. If there was anything to complain about, it would be its size. It's bigger than the Apple Ethernet Adapter but faster. It just seems like it could have been smaller.

3.0 out of 5 stars It works, but uses illegal MAC addresses, August 14, 2013

One tip for Mac users: After installation, go to System Preferences -> Network -> Set Service Order (in the gear drop-down) and prioritize the USB 3.0 adapter over your Wi-Fi network. By default it will use Wi-Fi if both are connected, and this is probably not what you want.

But I uncovered a serious technical issue with the device: Cable Matters illegally programs these devices with an Ethernet OUI of 00:00:00. This belongs to Xerox and it is NOT kosher to do this. It is unlikely to cause any issue for a user, but I am disappointed by this kind of corner-cutting. It makes me worry about the OTHER corners the company may have cut, and leads me to no recommend this device.

I don't have a better suggestion, but I wouldn't buy this adapter again.

Note: I posted a full review of this device on my blog. Search for Stephen Foskett Cable Matters USB Ethernet Review and you'll find it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine in Ubuntu 12.04 once you install the drivers, September 19, 2013
I have no real complains about this little guy. My laptop has USB3 so it's good to know that I can do gigabit when I need it.

The device has an ASIX chipset: AX88179. The drivers are available if you search for "AX88179" and go to the results on the Taiwanese ASIX website.

The Linux driver worked fine for me in Ubuntu 12.04 with the latest updates. Follow the instructions in the included readme. After I did "make install" it automatically worked each time I booted.

An alternative is to use the Launchpad source to get a package that has the driver. Search for "AX88179 Launchpad" and you should find the package by user "QJI".

(Had to update to omit links since Amazon deletes them)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, March 26, 2013
Purchased for my 2012 13" MacBook Air. I went with USB 3.0 to ethernet as opposed to Thunderbolt as the Air only has one Thunderbolt port, and I typically need that port available for a projector. As the Air does not have an optical drive, I downloaded the driver from the manufacturer's website. Everything works great. Recommended product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great transfer speeds, March 1, 2013
I bought one of these and after some testing immediately turned around and bought a second unit. This unit consistently delivers on the 1 gigabit spec.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy for newer Retina Macbook Pros!, August 27, 2014
Since the Retina Macbook Pros don't have an ethernet port, using an adapter was the only option. Of course, the thunderbolt to ethernet adapter by Apple was an option, but (1) I didn't really need the speed of the thunderbolt cable because I could not even reach the speeds with the current connection and (2) of course I didn't want to spend $30 for it.

So I did a lot of looking around Amazon and eBay, and there is clearly a reason this on the top of the searches. It is made of good quality and does not feel cheap even though it is white plastic. The product has been finished very nice so it complements the aluminum look of the Macbook Pros.
The cable between the USB and adapter end is very useful since my ethernet cord can move around freely and not pull out the USB from the laptop.
Also, there are two lights on the back of the adapter end – one is solid green to show there is a connection established and one blinks with a green light (right next to the first light) to show there is data being transferred.

I would definitely recommend this to anybody wanting a reliable wired connection to their laptops that don't have ethernet ports!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great!!!, February 15, 2014
Works great with my tablet PC, even thru my Anker 3.0 USB hub. Is good for the transferring large data between tablet PC and external hardware. Came in the nice package.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked perfect on my Raspberry Pi, March 11, 2014
Added a second ethernet port to my Raspberry Pi with this. Plugged in and worked perfectly. Using the Pi to monitor and capture traffic so it needed a management port and a capture port.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great!, April 9, 2013
4 days ago, after getting back from a meeting, I found my desktop was doing a constant 1.1MB/s download rate. Then I realized my on board Ethernet was only connected to 10Mbps on a Gigabit network..I thought it was my line or the router, but everyone else on the network was doing fine. Tested the line, no problem, but the bios Lan test showed it can only do 10Mps. So had to get another card or this usb dongle.

Pro:
Plug and Play on Win8
Speed is on par with pci adapter card.
Cheap compare to others.

Con:
Speed might be 1~5% slower than pci adapter cards.
might eat up more cpu powers compares to getting a card.

Found a used gigabit network card after I ordered this adapter, so this dongle will be my backup's backup, in case my Ethernet adapter dies again.

David.