Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter in Black
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Capacity: USB 3.0|Color: Black|Change

on March 9, 2013
Bought this for my Surface Pro. It works great. Windows recognized it and installed the drivers. It's fast and does the job. If there was anything to complain about, it would be its size. It's bigger than the Apple Ethernet Adapter but faster. It just seems like it could have been smaller.
on June 27, 2013
I just bought the newest 2013 macbook air and was disappointed when I saw that there was no ethernet cord to plug in to my wired network. I didn't want to use the thunderbolt to ethernet because I plan on using the port for monitor extension part, so I looked into buying the usb 3.0 port. Looking through amazon, everybody is giving this product 5 star, so I decided to buy this product!

When I installed the mac driver from the CD-ROM that comes with the cable, the performance of the internet was terrible. When I connect over the wifi, I got ~5MB using the cnet review [...] When I tried to connect using the ethernet port? A paltry 13kbps!!! I can't believe what I saw, so I googled this product, looking for updates on the driver. I found it here: [...]

Once I got it restarted, the cnet speed went up 1000x from the 13 kbps! Phew! Problem solved and I am a happy camper!
2323 comments|104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 17, 2012
I ordered two of these, they both came in promptly and were exactly what I needed. They have very effective shielding and being able to actually order a 3ft cable was nice. Network statistics are showing very low attenuation and I'm very happy with how they are performing. Definitely would recommend them.

Oh one last thing, I really like the snagless design on these, it protects the cable clip, but doesn't get in the way when you're trying to squeeze it like most of the covers do. Very nicely thought out.
on August 14, 2013
I purchased the Cable Matters USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet adapter for a 2012 MacBook Pro Retina model. Overall it's fine: It's cheap, it works, it's reasonably quick. I do not like having to install a driver (and reboot) but it's acceptable. I recommend a web search for ASIX AX88179 drivers to locate the latest version.

One tip for Mac users: After installation, go to System Preferences -> Network -> Set Service Order (in the gear drop-down) and prioritize the USB 3.0 adapter over your Wi-Fi network. By default it will use Wi-Fi if both are connected, and this is probably not what you want.

But I uncovered a serious technical issue with the device: Cable Matters illegally programs these devices with an Ethernet OUI of 00:00:00. This belongs to Xerox and it is NOT kosher to do this. It is unlikely to cause any issue for a user, but I am disappointed by this kind of corner-cutting. It makes me worry about the OTHER corners the company may have cut, and leads me to no recommend this device.

I don't have a better suggestion, but I wouldn't buy this adapter again.

Note: I posted a full review of this device on my blog. Search for Stephen Foskett Cable Matters USB Ethernet Review and you'll find it.
1313 comments|158 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 19, 2013
I have no real complains about this little guy. My laptop has USB3 so it's good to know that I can do gigabit when I need it.

The device has an ASIX chipset: AX88179. The drivers are available if you search for "AX88179" and go to the results on the Taiwanese ASIX website.

The Linux driver worked fine for me in Ubuntu 12.04 with the latest updates. Follow the instructions in the included readme. After I did "make install" it automatically worked each time I booted.

An alternative is to use the Launchpad source to get a package that has the driver. Search for "AX88179 Launchpad" and you should find the package by user "QJI".

(Had to update to omit links since Amazon deletes them)
on August 27, 2014
Since the Retina Macbook Pros don't have an ethernet port, using an adapter was the only option. Of course, the thunderbolt to ethernet adapter by Apple was an option, but (1) I didn't really need the speed of the thunderbolt cable because I could not even reach the speeds with the current connection and (2) of course I didn't want to spend $30 for it.

So I did a lot of looking around Amazon and eBay, and there is clearly a reason this on the top of the searches. It is made of good quality and does not feel cheap even though it is white plastic. The product has been finished very nice so it complements the aluminum look of the Macbook Pros.
The cable between the USB and adapter end is very useful since my ethernet cord can move around freely and not pull out the USB from the laptop.
Also, there are two lights on the back of the adapter end – one is solid green to show there is a connection established and one blinks with a green light (right next to the first light) to show there is data being transferred.

I would definitely recommend this to anybody wanting a reliable wired connection to their laptops that don't have ethernet ports!
on March 26, 2013
Purchased for my 2012 13" MacBook Air. I went with USB 3.0 to ethernet as opposed to Thunderbolt as the Air only has one Thunderbolt port, and I typically need that port available for a projector. As the Air does not have an optical drive, I downloaded the driver from the manufacturer's website. Everything works great. Recommended product.
66 comments|21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 9, 2015
All you need to do is plug it in and windows will install the drivers by its self. Extremely helpful since I'm running Windows 10. It might fall out of the USB port though. Other than that it's definitely worth the money. It even has a green LED telling you it's working.
review image review image review image
on May 6, 2015
Actually broke off all the pins of my USB 3 hub… twice ? never mind its NOT OS X10.10 compatible despite claims it is. I lost 2 of 7 ports on my USB3 hub thanks to this junk. I have never ever had such a problem. It literally ripped them out when I removed the device… which never showed up as enet conection. Also driver DVD never loaded onto OS X on 2 machines end in fact was ejected by machine. DO NOT BUY YOU WILL GET SCREWED ! My USB3 port is now minus 2 ports thanks to this thing. Doubt they will give me replacement of it
review image review image
66 comments|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 27, 2015
Ever since I bought several of these to supplement the newly-installed ethernet cables I put in my sorority house as technology coordinator, life has been so much easier for everyone. After purchasing several of these for the house, no longer would I be woken up to 3am text messages demanding that I reset the internet, due to the s***ty connection brought to you buy our 50-year-old brick sorority house and wifi connection shared by 40 women. This cable helped both the the pumpkin spice latte-toting, Uggs-wearing, MacBook Pro-using white girls and the sweatpants-wearing, bargain-shopping, Dean's List, un-stereotypical sorority girls connect to the internet like never before. No longer would the lack of ethernet ports prevent our ladies from studying hard long into the night, uninterrupted by the woes of WiFi technology. I have no complaints about these adapters. They were crucial to my survival of my final college semester. They provided ethernet port-less computers with a strong, consistent hardline internet connection.