5.0 out of 5 stars A great cable for those who need it
This is a *telephone* cable, not an Ethernet cable that connects a modem to a computer or router.

Published on August 28, 2011 by Kenny Zheng

Published 8 months ago by Fendry Utama

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A great cable for those who need it, August 28, 2011
This review is from: C2G / Cables to Go 28724 High-speed Internet Modem Cable (50 Feet) (Personal Computers)

I am very satisfied with this cable. I use DSL service and the nearest - in fact, the only - telephone jack in my apartment is in another room about 45ft away from where I have the DSL modem placed. I could place the modem closer to the phone jack, use a shorter cable, and use Wi-Fi to connect, but I find the connection incredibly unreliable with all the interference.

The cable itself is very sturdy and well-built. It is, of course, thicker than a regular phone cable - about the thickness of an Ethernet cable - which should add to the durability of the cable.

Where this cable really has an advantage over a regular telephone cable is across greater distances, since performance degrades with distance.
With this cable I get about 4.1Mbps download. Whereas using a regular, unshielded 50ft telephone cable, I would get about a 3.2Mbps download. It's a considerable difference, especially since I could use all the bandwidth I can get on a DSL connection.
I could get a slightly faster connection by using a very short regular telephone cable and placing the modem closer to the phone jack, but the difference isn't that drastic as to make me use the unreliable wireless connection. This cable gives me all I can get off a wired connection 45ft away.

With that said, if you only need to connect a fax machine or a telephone to the wall, just get a regular phone cable. No need to spend the extra money on this cable, as it will make no noticeable difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great modem cable!, January 26, 2013
I'll reiterate what others have said: This is an ordinary phone cord with ordinary phone connectors on each end, not an Ethernet cable. Okay, it's not ordinary. It's cat-5 and highly shielded, and it handles DSL signals from your wall jack (or outside phone box) to your DSL modem. Ordinary phone cables are not very good for this.

Here's how I used this cable: I went to my connection box outside my house and disconnected the house wiring from it. Then I plugged this cable in. I routed it into my house (had to drill a couple of holes) to my DSL modem and plugged it in. My internet performance improved significantly with this cable. I hooked up with a voice service provider (Vonage) that provides voice service over an internet connection and disconnected my phone company voice service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely Done, May 3, 2012
For those who are trying to figure out what a "Modem cable" is (I was confused & hesitant at first) this cable is a heavily shielded, telephone cord & was exactly what I needed to relocate my DSL Modem well away from the dedicated wall-jack. With a regular "Radio Shack" type phone extension cord the signal was not strong enough for my DSL modem to keep its link with my ISP. Since installing this "High Speed Internet Modem Cable" the connection has remained rock solid! Well worth the cost... since the cheaper kind simply did not work in my case. Very happy with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Increased download speed by 40%, March 11, 2014
I, unfortunately, have AT&T as my internet provider and their DSL sucks. I have had five (yes, 5) technicians come to my house since Christmas. They've rewired the house, sold me a new modem and finally rewired the cable from the street to the house. The last technician told me a "high speed modem cable" might help. So, I went to the usual places Best Buy, Fry's, Radio Shack and none of those geniuses had ever heard of such a thing. Fortunately, Amazon had them available. I ordered one, used it to replace my old cable and voila, the performance of my modem increased from 1.5 mps to 2.5 mps (even though I'm paying AT&T for 3.0 mps).

5.0 out of 5 stars Shielded Telephone Twisted Pairs, October 8, 2013
Well made heavy duty telephone cable; we've never been disappointed by Belkin products. We have 1.5Mbps DSL for email, browsing, shopping and small downloads. (It costs less than we were paying for telephone only.)

Anyhow, downloading a 173MB Kenichi Ebina MP4 from YouTube took 15 minutes before and after I replaced a 35 ft. ordinary telephone cable with the Belkin high speed cable; Speedtest.net download speed was 1.67 Mbps either way. For us, the limitation is apparently what our provider is guaranteeing us.

For those that are interested I also disconnected our internal phone wiring at the DSL "modem" (we have around 20 phones (only 5 ringers connected) in 10 rooms in a star configuration with stubs off many of the extensions. That made no difference in download speed either.

For a small price we have the peace of mind that that skinny phone extension wire isn't causing a problem... and I've freed up our long phone extension for the rare occasion when I need it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tried two different cables but could not get it to work with ATT Uverse, March 17, 2014
Fendry Utama "dought" (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
We tried two different cables shipped from Amazon.com but just cannot get it to work with ATT U-Verse (18Mbps). Therefore, we moved the router close to the wall jack and purchased a long shielded CAT6 to connect the ATT U-Verse to the router. The decision was perfect as we moved to another city with provides ATT U-Verse (24Mbps) DSL that utilize co-axial not regular phone lines.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, February 20, 2013
I would recommend this product to anybody that needs to relocate their DSL modem. Like the other reviewers have said, this is a phone cable not an Ethernet cable. I am very satisfied with this product and have not experienced any issues since it was delivered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, November 14, 2012
I was very satisfied with product. It works well with my dsl modem. The length was perfect. It wasn't too short or too long.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a RJ12 Cable, works the same as a RJ11 phone/modem cable, May 3, 2013
I am using it as a phone cable, works the same as the standard one, but it is much thicker and stronger. Seems to have better quality and is shielded. Both ends are the same, basically a high-quality phone cable. This RJ12 has 6-wires, RJ11 has 4, so the extra two on this don't impact anything, unless you have a corporate-type system, RJ12s are not often needed, but still works as a RJ11/phone/modem cable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, July 28, 2013
We have just moved to a new location, the phone jacks here are 50 years old, so perhaps this was overkill but it gives me a feeling [false?] of security. I know that I will lose nothing from the jack to the DSL modem so if I have a problem it is from the pole to the jack. Fits securely on both ends and if I run it over with my office chair I know it will survive. Work the cost and a bit more too!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›