Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: C2G / Cables To Go 09482 18 AWG Universal Power Cord for NEMA 5-15P to IEC320C13, Black (15 Feet/4.57 Meters)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on August 30, 2011
I got a couple of these power cords for use on some PCs. These machines had sat further away from their UPSs than the power cords provided by the manufacturer would stretch, so I figured I'd buy a few of these and not have to move the UPSs closer to the computers. I was totally stoked! I used them on two PCs and luckily I was rummaging around behind the computers and brushed up against the power cord. That sucker was HOT...as in burn your skin hot. They were limp and smelled like melting plastic. And it's not like those machines are power hogs. I immediately shut down the boxes and moved my UPSs closer and swapped out the cords for the ones included by the manufacturer. I didn't feel safe leaving this product plugged into my computer and I certainly didn't want to deal with the fire hazard it represents. I should've known: Resistance in a wire gets higher the longer the wire, and since resistance produces heat... I really needed a thicker gauge power cord for it to run cool. Perhaps these cords would be good for really light duty applications.

A word of advice: Be sure to check the cords after using them on whatever device you're plugging them into after a few minutes, a few hours, etc., to see how hot they're running. These cables could be a fire hazard.

UPDATE: I was just getting the cords ready to send back and I noticed something interesting where the cord touched itself. The sheathing was brittle, and the cord sort of fell apart. (It actually broke in half.) Perhaps I should say that this product is a DEFINITE fire hazard. (See photos)
review image review image review image
1717 comments|186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2011
I bought this power cord for my mid 2010 27in iMac. Apple power cord was too short, and this one gives me those extra feet. just plug and your ready to go. Update; power cord worked well until it started to smoke and nearly caused a fire. Do not , I repeat do not buy this cord it is unsafe and should be pulled from amazon.
22 comments|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 22, 2011
I used this power cord with an HD projector for several hours before discovering it got HOT (not warm - HOT) during use - VERY dangerous! I suppose my projector could have been drawing too much power through it or something, but regardless - it shouldn't overheat like that! Unplugged, boxed up and returned immediately. Very disappointed with this product.
22 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 30, 2011
I bought this for use with a projector. After a few minutes, the cord gets hot to the touch. Most devices that plug into this cord are going to pull more amps than is safe. Spend the few dollars more to get a heavier gauge cable, it will be cheaper than a house fire.
on September 27, 2011
see [...]
if the device you are POWERING draws more than 2 amps (or about 200W) when in use, DO NOT USE THIS POWER CORD. You need a heavier gauge cord.

18 gauge is rather small wire, not suitable for powering HD projectors, etc..

IF the device is low powered this seems like a decent cord.
on September 18, 2011
This cable weighs as much as a good cable half its length, and for a reason. It's very flimsy and poorly constructed, and mine had one bad wire (echoing a couple other reviews). Get a heavier cable.
on June 1, 2011
Do not buy these chinaes power cords unless you want your house to burn to the ground. I ran one of these for an expensive power strips power cord. I plugged 2 xboxes and 2 monitors into the strip. About an hour later I stepped on the cord and could not believe how hot it was. I picked it up in my hand it was extremely hot and flexible, quite scary. I thought I could smell something that was very warm but wasnt sure until I felt it on my foot. These cords are 12 feet long and 18 gauge. Get some 14 gauge if you need power cords. These are a fire hazard and should be avoided at all costs. Also if the cord gets that hot then chance are you are not getting the voltage you should be getting. Low voltage can damage or ruin some electric devices.
on June 7, 2015
I purchased the 1 foot version of this cord. While the product itself was fine, the description of the length was not. It was, in fact, 12.75 inches tip to tip. Minus the metal prongs and you get 12", one foot right? Well..., there is another 0.75 inches on the other end, you know, the part that goes inside of the TV. That is counted in with length too. So now you're at 11.25 inches usable cord right? Wrong. The only way your get that 11.25" is with zero bend in the cord. As soon as you bend it, the rigid hard parts (the tips) stay stationary and you lose more length. The "wall" end is another 1.5 inches, and the TV part is another 1.75 inches. So all in all you only end up getting about 8 inches of what I would call cord.

Hope this helps someone else trying to get the shortest cord possible to hide behind their wall mount TV.
review image
on March 9, 2015
With some of the negative reviews on the fire hazard of this cable I was very apprehensive about purchasing it. After having now used it for over a year on a regular basis with my ceiling mounted projector I have had no issues. I have multiple times tested the temperature of the cord in multiple places and have never recorded a temperature of over 110 degrees during use.

One thing for people to keep in mind with any electronic plugins if you do not have a good connection to the wall jack it will get hot. Always make sure that you wall jack is in good condition and that the plugs are plugged in all of the way. Working in technology I find that most people that suffer from hot cables are because of these two problems.

The cable is nice and tough and handles all the average stresses well. I felt that it seated into the wall jack firmly and also into the projector firmly. I have rarely been disappointed with C2G.
on July 29, 2012
I bought this for a printer Brother MFC-9320CW High Quality Digital Color All-in-One Printer with Wireless Networkingand after a while, I smelled something burning. I checked around and noticed the cable was really hot and limp. I am now going to try a little bit thicker cable SF Cable, 15ft 14 AWG Universal Power Cord - IEC320 C13 to NEMA 5-15P SJT 15A. The SF cable is 14 AWG vs. C2G's 18 AWG.

This cable might be good for a monitor or other low power device, but it would have been nice to know that before I bought it.