Size Name: (6.5 Feet/2 Meter)Verified Purchase
Despite popular myth, all HDMI cables are not the same. Construction quality, cable design, cable thickness (gauge) and connector quality can all play a role in the success you'll have with an HDMI cable. Yes, HDMI is a digital signal but this does NOT mean that you either "have a signal or you don't." Cheaply constructed HDMI cables can have not only mechanical failures (worn out solder joints over time, ill-fitting connectors), but electrical failures as well, and these can be represented either by visible distortion ("sparklies," lines, dropouts or pixilation), or by incompatibilities with certain high bandwidth HDMI sources and displays.

This is not to say that you need to pay $50, $100 or more on well-known brand HDMI cables in order to get good results, but when you buy "no name" cables (particularly from unknown marketplace sellers), you're taking a risk - you might get something decent, or you might not. And is it really worth it, to save a couple of dollars on the cable, when it may cost you hours of debugging to determine exactly what's wrong with your picture or sound in your high end home theater system?

As the editor of a home theater publication (Big Picture Big Sound), I've had the opportunity to own, evaluate and use many high-end high definition components and displays as well as a variety of HDMI and component video cables. I've used the high-end name brand cables as well as no-name plain plastic-wrapped HDMI cables made in China. Some of the cables I've ordered via Amazon marketplace sellers don't even match the picture of the item. But the "Cables To Go" HDMI cables I've bought from Amazon have been consistently high quality, with strong mechanical connections and excellent reliability. Cables to Go (aka "Impact Acoustics") is an American company, based in Ohio, specializing in all types of cables, connectors and switching components. They may not be a household name, but they're a solid brand with a proven track record of quality and reliability.

Many of the "cheaper" cables offered by marketplace sellers come with hidden costs that you won't see until check-out, namely high shipping and handling fees. But Cables To Go cables bought from Amazon.com can be shipped free (orders over $25), which brings their price down to an extremely reasonable level.

Reliable performance at an affordable price. That's what I call a bargain.
2929 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 25, 2006
Size Name: (6.5 Feet/2 Meter)
first off, i was wary of purchasing this cable because of the very name: "cables to go." then, i was wary because of the cheap price. but after reading other reviews saying that insane cable shielding doesn't really matter since it's all digital, and seeing the outrageous prices of Monster Cables, I was more than willing to try this cable.

Turns out, after using it for two weeks with my Sony HDMI DVD player and Sharp Aquos HDTV LCD, it works perfectly! So save yourself the extra money and buy a "no-name" HDMI cable...
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Size Name: (6.5 Feet/2 Meter)Verified Purchase
Okay, folks...we're talking about digital signals here. A digital signal gets there, or it doesn't. This isn't like analog signals where increased resistance or poor shielding of the wire degrades your sound and picture.

This cable does what I need it to do for about 15% of the cost of most of the alternatives out there. My picture looks great, I can get 1080p out of my Playstation 3, and I saved some bucks in the process. I couldn't be happier.

From some of the reviews, you'd get the impression that this cable is exceedingly thin or poorly manufactured. Not true. It does have gold-plated ends, it fits snugly in the sockets--won't pop out from its own weight, but also will come loose instead of dragging your equipment to the floor if someone trips over it.

And I got news for you: I used to work at Best Buy, and stuff like cables have some of the highest mark-up in the store. Yup, most of what you're paying for those $100 cables--probably somewhere around $75--is going straight in to the "Profit" column in the ledger.

Buy these and a couple of BDs or a game for the same price as the big name cables.
on November 12, 2006
Size Name: (6.5 Feet/2 Meter)Verified Purchase
So it doesn't have gold tips or have a famous name on the box or the fancy words that make you want to take out a second mortgage to buy it. This cable does the job. A lot of companies want you to pay a lot of money for some coax cable but if the recording isn't worth a plug nicket, it doesn't matter if you have a $25 or $100 cable. This cable is inexpensive but durable. I really haven't noticed any differences between this cable and the more costly ones. If anything else--it's the recording or TV you decide to use with it. Don't be fooled by those fancy packages in the store.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 23, 2008
Size Name: (6.5 Feet/2 Meter)
I used these cables for more than a couple of months, and they seemed to work well. I've read that a digital signal either gets there, or it does not. I purchased 3 of these "cables to go."

Well, every once in a while, I would have the video blink out and then quickly blink back on in a DVD movie. I was not able to reproduce the error, as it was completely random, and never in the same place of the movie. Normally, it was once per movie or every other movie. I thought maybe it was my player malfunctioning.

With component and composite cables, I would check to make sure they were tight, so why not with HDMI. I just ever so slightly wiggled the HDMI connection right where it attached to my Sony HDTV.

What do you know, the video blinked out and quickly back on from the slight wiggling, just like I experienced in the movies. Ok I thought, maybe it was my HDMI port on my Sony?

So, I tried the wiggle test on another port, AND on ANOTHER HDTV, and using ALL 3 of these cables I purchased on both my Sony and my Panasonic HDTV's. Guess what? The video blinked off and on again with the wiggle test, no matter where it was connected. An extremely loose connection to be sure. It wasn't just 1 of these cables, but all 3 I had.

I replaced all my "cables to go" cables with a different brand, and they all withstand the "wiggle test." Approximately 1 month and 12 or so movies later, no more random video drop outs.

Conclusion:

Even on 2 different HDTV's and different HDMI ports, these 3 different "cables to go" cables had an extremely loose connection.

Apparently an HDMI signal that doesn't fit tightly can lose connection and cause dropouts.

Don't buy these "cables to go." The actual cable might be fine, but the HDMI male connectors are not so good.
on February 20, 2007
Size Name: (6.5 Feet/2 Meter)
HDMI is a All Digital Format ( i.e. all zero and 1's ) the switch is either on or off. Unlike analog cables where Large low restistence cables and GOLD Connecters can have a measureable effect; with HDMI this is a waste of money and a Come-on to consumers. I switched my HDTV from using the Analog componet cables supplied by the Cable Company to this HDMI cable. What a difference.....The picture is now Crystal Clear without any artifacts caused by D/A conversion in the TV . This fully Digital HDMI cable solved all my HDTV issues. Digital input plus a Digital HDTV gives you a Fantastic Picture.
on January 18, 2007
Size Name: (6.5 Feet/2 Meter)
Its a digital cable. Its transfering ones and zeros, not actual video and audio. Not need to waste money the big guy's cables that cost $60-$120. Not on HDMI cables anyways. They may not withstand a Mac truck running over them, and they might not be shielded with gold spun from a cherubs head, but they work great. And if it should fail down the line, just buy another one. Compared to the price of the ones at Best Buy, these are practically free.
VINE VOICEon June 27, 2007
Size Name: (9.8 Feet/3 Meter)Verified Purchase
It is true that HDMI is a digital signal, but that does not mean that it can transmit that signal perfectly over distance. If you read up on the subject, it is very very rare for an HDMI cable to be able to transmit with any degree of accuracy over 50 feet! This is not to say that I advocate getting fleeced by those high end "luxury" cables. Luxury cables (Monster cable for example) are indeed, just fancier versions of the cheap cables, made by the same (Chinese) manufacturers as the cheap cables, whose advertised features actually don't impact performace at all or even manufacturing cost so much but their lofty price creates the illusion that they are the greatest cables of all...

But I digress. I own this cable. I used this cable for months, thinking my problems with "reception" in my all digital High Def cable subscription were due to high usage in my area, just like the old days of regular def analog cable. In truth I was experiencing partial failure manifested by sparkly dropouts with some occassional loss of sync. Not only that, sometimes I got total failure, where I just got a black picture. This is 1080i interlaced High Definition broadcast picture, on my 1080i HD set.

Without further information, you might speculate as to any number of reasons why this occurs. But I know the answer. This is due to the low quality of this cheaply manufactured cable. I know this, because the problem resolved with a higher standard cable. You need to get a cable that is rated for HDMI 1.3a, which is Category 2 High Speed High Definition standard if you ever want to obtain 1080p compatibility. HDMI cable that is not rated by a standard (like this one) is probably not "guaranteed" to be able to transmit the highfrequency signal that demanding HD requires.

So, look for category 2 high speed HDMI certified to meet HDMI 1.3 standards. Amazon sells a few cables which meet this standard, and they aren't significantly more expensive than this cable. Then you know you have a good cable. End of story.

If you want my recommendation for a cable that I bought on Amazon, try Panasonic RP-CDHG15 High Speed HDMI Cable - 4.9ft (White)... or any other color if you prefer... :)
on November 22, 2006
Size Name: (6.5 Feet/2 Meter)Verified Purchase
from my rudimentary understanding of these things, your digital signal is either carried by the cable or not. this one works, works fine, and its a great bargain. i have bought more cables from this company and i am very satisfied with the image quality and price.
Size Name: (16.4 Feet/5 Meter)Verified Purchase
Despite what you may have heard, all HDMI cables are not created equal. A $1 HDMI cable is not the same as a $25 cable or a $100 cable. But this doesn't mean that a $100 cable is better, or that you need expensive (or even high quality) HDMI cables for all purposes. Construction quality, cable design, cable thickness (gauge) and connector quality can all play a role in the success you'll have with an HDMI cable. And the longer your cable requirement (and the higher your bandwidth needs), the more important the cable construction.

As the editor of a home theater publication (Big Picture Big Sound), I've had the opportunity to own, evaluate and use many high-end high definition components and displays as well as a variety of HDMI and component video cables. I've used high-end name brand cables as well as no-name plain plastic-wrapped HDMI cables made in China. Some of the cables I've ordered via Amazon marketplace sellers don't even match the picture of the item.

But the "Cables To Go" HDMI cables I've bought from Amazon have been consistently high quality, with strong mechanical connections and excellent reliability. This specific cable (5 meter "Velocity" model), is currently happily in use between an HD cable box and a Sanyo HD projector in one of our writers' home theater systems. It hasn't caused us one lick of trouble.

Don't be taken in by the claims of high-priced cable manufacturers, but neither should you believe that a $1 or $2 no-name cable is going to be the equivalent of a cable from a reputable brand. The truth lies somewhere in between.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations