Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

VINE VOICEon December 11, 2006
I purchased this cable as a way to hook up my iPod to my stereo (in my car) by way of the "audio out" port on the front of my stereo.

There are three things that I love about this item.

1) The cables are spring loaded on the center device which means you can use as little or as much as you need depending on how much cable you want. If you are alone in the car you may only need 6 inches of cable, but if you have a friend in the back seat you can stretch it out to the full four feet so that they can reach the audio player. Once you are done, all you need is a quick tug on both cables at the same time and they wind all the way back up to the center.

2) The heads of the cables are bent at 90 degrees to prevent the cables from being pulled out of their holes by accident. You have to use your hand and apply pressure directly on the head to pull it out: it won't just pull out by accident.

3) The price is fantastic. I didn't want to spend a lot of money, and this product fit the bill.

Really useful, and a space saver. Wonderful product.

UPDATE: the version now sold does NOT have the ends bent at 90 degrees, but the picture has been changed to reflect that. Still a nice item, though.
VINE VOICEon January 3, 2007
I wanted a compact and easily-storeable cable for my computer, and this one fit the bill. Like all spring-loaded retractable cables you shouldn't really pull hard and fast on it or it will tangle on the reel and then you're out of luck. But given proper care, the retractor mechanism works well.

My only two complaints: First, the cable isn't well shielded and is therefore prone to picking up outside interference. If you plan on using this cable in an electronically noisy area then you may find some background humming going on. And second, the retractor mechanism feels kind of cheap. Not "fall apart in your hands" cheap but more like "I wish they would have made this out of sturdier plastic" cheap. Still, of the retractable cables I've seen, this is one of the sturdier ones.
on April 4, 2007
I have found that this cable does not fit snugly to maintain a good connection. It tends to wiggle part of the way out rather easily.

The zip cord function is disappointing. It worked for a little while, but it didn't take long for it not to function properly. After only a few uses it doesn't roll all the way back up nor does it want to stay unrolled most of the time.
on November 13, 2008
The cable that I received is the same model number and manufacturer as the one displayed in the picture, but the right angle jack connector is not on each end of the cable that I received. This is the feature that I was seeking to help to prevent the jack from breaking off in the output or input device. I purchased an identical cable last year, and that one has the right angle jack connectors.

The photo needs to be updated to match the product, which apparently no longer has this very desirable feature.
on May 29, 2009
To start things off: BUYER BEWARE - although there is nothing wrong with this product, I need to mention to you right now that the image you see is NOT the product you will receive.

The image shows the connectors at a 90-degree angle. This is not the cord you will receive if you purchase this item! The one you receive has straight-connectors. Repeat: STRAIGHT CONNECTORS.

With that out of the way, this product is fine and does exactly what it says it will do. I only have a few minor nitpicks with this item and they are as follows:

* The wheel that retracts the cord is a little large. People hoping to squeeze this item into a tight or confined space may need to rethink. For me this worked out, as the center console of my vehicle where I put my MP3 player was JUST large enough to stack the wheel on top of my MP3 device. I was happy it fit, but as an added bonus it also keeps my music device from sliding around as I drive, effectively wedging it in place.

* While this cord is retractable, it is not fully adjustable. It retracts in "stages". What I mean by this is that you cannot have it go to "any length" you want. The wheel that collects the cord cannot stop or "lock" until it has made a full revolution, so if the exact length you need is between one revolution of the wheel you will never be able to achieve it. It will always be "just a little too long" or "just a little too short". We're talking a matter of centimeters. But if you're a picky neat-freak like I am, this might drive you crazy too.

Barring the image being incorrect and the cord retraction issue, I have absolutely no problem with this product.
on August 9, 2009
The idea of a cable to hook my Ipod into my car stereo with, that has a retractable cable, so I don't end up with cables hanging off my dashboard looking ugly and getting in the way, is a GREAT idea. The problem is, it doesn't really work well.

First, the cable pulls and retracts out both sides (the side going to the ipod and the side going to the stereo). Ths would be great if they were on seperate spools, but they aren't. The cord basically has to the same length on either side. And if you don't extend and retract it JUST right, the cable gets all tangled on the spool.

But you know, I could have dealt with that. What I cannot deal with is that after only using the cord for a couple of months, it has lost its ability to feed audio into the speakers on one side of my car. I have to press on it while it is in the socket or I only get output on the right! I've tried another cable to be sure it isn't jack - nope, it is absolutely this cable.

So basically the cable was a good idea, but was in reality an annoying tangled mess that only worked for a few months. Just buy a regular cable and deal with the unsightly extra cable laying about!
on May 29, 2008
I have a Toyota Sienna 2007. We got an iPod and wanted to hook it up to the stereo without using the FM transmitter. We have the AUX hook up, so I bought this cable to go with the Belkin F8V7058-APB Auto Kit for iPod with Dock Connector.

PROS: The cable hooks right into the car charger with just this little cable. I love it because it retracts when you aren't using it so there are no extra things all around. The Belkin Auto Kit is great because it charges the iPod while it's in the car! I rarely have to hook it up in the house because I always have a charge. It's a great sound too since the iPod is playing directly into the stereo and not through the radio. If you have the AUX possibilities in your car I would buy both of these!

CON: I wish the cable had an angle so it wouldn't get pulled down towards the car charger...but I do love it.
on February 3, 2009
Sure this thing tangles up, but it is easily fixable. Most people just give up and complain about the poor quality build of the cable. So what if the cable is thin. I pull the thing out to connect my ipod to my stereo all the time and it rarely gets tangled if at all. It's HOW you pull it out that matters. It's small, saves space and does what its suppose to do. 5 STARS!
on May 12, 2007
This is a great little cord. Very handy, easy to carry and works great. I typically use it to connect my iPod to my car stereo, and I don't notice any interference or sound quality issues at all. I highly recommend it.

I saw some reviews complaining about the quality of construction, but I don't have any problem with the product. Mine seems solid.
on November 12, 2010
This product was a pleasant surprise. I expect, because I've had many bad experiences, products like this to be very cheaply made and the mechanism to retract and extend the cable to be rickety at best. This is not the case. I'm actually coming back to amazon right now to buy another one when I realized I didn't review the product. Also, a big thing for me, many cheap audio cables you get have a black casing at the plug end that is too big to fit in many of the iPhone and iPod cases that I've owned (I've owned 3 different cases, and had this problem many times where I'd have to take the case off to plug the audio cable in fully). However, this cable doesn't have that same problem, it fits perfectly and I have no issues whatsoever with it. This cable might be a couple more dollars than the closest competitor on amazon or, but seriously it's worth it. I'm ordering two more right now.

See 1 answered question