Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing May4th

• Customer Reviews

on October 11, 2006
A while back I went on a quest to find the best cocoa powder, and the Cacao Barry Extra Brut won hands-down. It has a very deep, rich chocolate flavor, without any off-notes or bitterness. Despite what you may read elsewhere, this dutch-process cocoa actually has a stronger chocolate flavor than the natural cocoa powders I have tried, so it is a good substitute for them. I recommend it for any baking or cooking recipes.
on October 8, 2009
I'm still trying to find a Dutch processed cocoa as rich and flavorful as the no longer available Hershey's European Cocoa (Silver Label) which was cheap in comparison to some of the other Dutch processed cocoas I've tried since.

This is MUCH better than Droste (which, in my opinion, is tasteless)-
It is better than Penzys, slightly better than Double-Dutch Dark from King Arthur, but not as good as Bensdorp.
22 comments|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 16, 2009
I have used this baking cocoa powder for five years. It is amazing how it changed a family brownie recipe. It makes them taste deeper, richer and somehow more moist. When we opened a bakery, the Snickers Brownies and the Death by Chocolate Brownies sell out with in fifteen minutes of opening every time. We will never go back to the other stuff.
on July 16, 2010
This is wonderful cocoa! It has a smooth and rich chocolate flavor. Beautiful dark, reddish brown color. It's the best (and the only cocoa I'll ever use)for coating chocolate truffles. It gives them a gorgeous velvet appearance and is nice when eaten, no bitter or dry feeling in the mouth. Also great to bake with. Makes great brownies, cakes and ice cream. Fantastic!
on January 14, 2011
After hearing rumors about full fat, dutch processed cocoa powder, and sick to death of the anemic offerings by Hershey's, etc., I took a chance and ordered the 1kg bag of the Callebaut brand of dutch processed cocoa. They sent me this brand instead, along with a note stating it's the exact same product, just different packaging.

I use this stuff *exclusively* to make hot cocoa, using 2% milk and either dark brown sugar or blue agave syrup, depending on my mood. Trust me; I'll NEVER go back to regular cocoa again. The dark chocolate contains more antioxidants and is more flavorful than the bleached Hershey's offerings, and I use less than half the sugar one would normally put in cocoa (about two tablespoons per 10oz mug).

My recipe: Into 12oz warm milk (just past drinking temperature, NEVER boiled) add two tablespoons dark cocoa powder, and 1-2 tablespoons (level) dark brown sugar (to taste) OR one tablespoon agave syrup. Stir. Add vanilla or cinnamon if desired (not required).

A much healthier, and MUCH TASTIER alternative to the powder packets on sale at the supermarket.

Starbucks wishes it had cocoa this good. **IT DOESN'T**
55 comments|26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 2, 2015
Purchased a baking book by a favorite cake artist and in it, she recommends this cocoa. I purchased it and have to agree, it is fabulous! Very dark and rich. I cannot believe how reasonable the cost is either. I have made several cakes now using this cocoa and they are always a hit! I have included a picture of the inside of a party cake I made, that shows how dark and rich a color using this cocoa provides.
review image
on November 22, 2012
I do a lot of baking, and go through a lot of cocoa each month. This cocoa is, by far, the best bang for the buck there is. I have done a side-by-side comparison to the "best" cocoa (Valrhona), and both were equal in terms of cocoa flavor. The Valrhona had a slightly fruity finish, but it was very hard to detect, and needed to be used in a dish where cocoa was the star (in this case, hot liquor sauce).

If you want a reasonably priced cocoa that compares well to the best cocoa, this is the cocoa to get. Sure, if money were no object, I would get Valrhona, but this cocoa is what I keep in my pantry. I give it 4 stars because it is not the very best, but honest, it is great cocoa, and you will not be disappointed. It is not overly-dutched, and thus not too bitter. The color is excellent, and will give you cakes and frosting that are almost black in color.

Update on 02/16/2013
Due to Amazon pricing for bulk (3kg) purchases, Valrhona ends up being competitively priced (Extra Brute is $26/kg and Valrhona is $25/kg), so it is a no-brainer - get the Valrhona. However, if you have access to a local store that sells Extra Brute at reasonable prices (Qzina had it for $16/kg in south Florida), I would get the Extra Brute. But again, at Amazon-only prices, you would be a fool not to get Valrhona.
on August 24, 2015
This is the crack of cocoa. I have made cakes and brownies with this stuff, all of which have blown away the stuff you buy from the store (namely the "big brands sporting the name of a city in Pennsylvania). In comparison it's some solid dollars for cocoa powder, but i'f you;re baking to impress, this is the stuff to reach for.
on June 9, 2014
I bought this in December last year and never used it until this past weekend- OMG!! My homemade chocolate cake was super delicious- the BEST I've ever tasted/made! I received TONS of compliments! It is soooooooooooooooo GOOD! I highly recommend this brand! I will never use anything else again!! Thank you so very much!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!
on June 5, 2015
I actively look for premium chocolates and cocoa powders. This Cacao Barry Cocoa Powder is an excellent choice. I mix about one part organic sugar to two parts cocoa to sweeten up this great raw base product and add that mix to hot water for superb hot cocoa. The color is deep brown / red and the scent is exciting in its promise, which is amply fulfilled in a surprisingly rich, smooth, down-right delicious drink!