5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fan for any warm stowe
This fan actually does work really well but only if you keep your stove reasonably warm. When in the "burn zone" at 400F and up this little fan moves air big time! It will start spinning at lower temperatures but the action starts when the stove is as warm as it should be, at 600F it spins so fast that we can slice bread and whip cream with it ;-)
Published on December 10, 2008 by G. Ek

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked for only a day . . .
Published on January 26, 2012 by OSUBeaverFan

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked for only a day . . ., January 26, 2012
I bought my fan in January 2012, and it shipped from Hardware Sales. The fan worked fine out of the box. It warmed up and started spinning in a matter of minutes. It only took a few more minutes for me to notice the difference it makes. The fan is virtually silent, and it does not produce any noticeable air movement (you have to put your hand rather close to it to feel the air move) but it works! I've been having trouble with very cold corners of my house, but this fan really spreads the heat out. It should pay for itself pretty quickly as I will be able to turn off supplemental electric heat in various rooms.

The down side:

My fan worked for less than 24 hours. It slowed way down, though the stove temperature was still hot enough to be powering the fan. Confused, I checked Caframo's website and found a question about slowing down on the FAQ page. It asks you to enter your model, and if you select 812 AirMax (this model) it then asks for the serial number to your fan. I entered my number and a page popped up saying that this particular fan was part of a bad production run and that it needed a replacement motor. It asks for address info and then confirms that they will send a replacement motor free of charge. They have a video on their website to show how to replace it (simple task).

So. . . if the product had worked properly, I would have given it 5 stars. Since Caframo seems to acknowledge the problem and makes it easy to remedy, I'm willing to give it another shot. Until it's up and working though, I have t give it 1 star.

What's a little bit irritating is that they know which ones are problematic, but that did not stop it from arriving at my doorstep. With more organization, I would think they could make an effort to recall the product from their distributors and replace them before they get into the hands of customers. In the meantime, I'll be paying for heat for a few more days.

In addition, Caframo should have informed me of the defect when I registered the product online (which meant entering the serial number).

I am glad I checked their website, otherwise I would have just thought it was poorly designed and that I had wasted $130. I feel bad for customers who might not check up on it and are stuck with a poorly working fan.

I'll update my review once the problem is fixed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fan for any warm stowe, December 10, 2008
G. Ek "TridentDiver" (Kittery Point, ME USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Caframo Limited 812AM-KBX Ecofan Airmax, Nickel Blade (Kitchen)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, December 20, 2010
I just this week had to replace my 12 YR old EcoFan. Living in Maine I burn 4-5 cords of wood each yr, so my woodstove and fan get quite a workout. The fan is an excellent product for moving hot air from the stove directly into the room at a rapid rate. No break (OR electricity) required! Frankly, I was lost the few days I was without my fan because it really makes a huge difference. If I got 12 solid years without any problems, I consider that a good value! (My old fan was just plain worn out). BTW - this is the first review I've ever written. This poduct is well worth every cent and taking a few minutes to let others know it's value is a pleasure. You will NOT be disappointed:)

4.0 out of 5 stars Does not replace woodstove blower, April 11, 2013
I bought this hoping it could replace the blower that is built-in to my woodstove, because the blower is very loud and uses electricity. This fan does look very cool, uses no electricity, and pushes a decent amount of air. I'd probably need 2 of them to come close to replacing the blower.

However, there are some issues with this fan that prevent me from using this as I had hoped. It's still a useful purchase, but I figured I'd spell out some of the issues so other people can be aware of some of the limitations before they buy this.

-as far as I can tell, the fan does not automatically start. I've waited until the stove was 550 and the only way to get the fan going is to manually give it a spin. I have a thermostat on the stove top
-it takes a while for the heat from the stove to reach the fan, so you have to wait like 20-30 minutes after the stove has reached temperature before the fan will work.
-the fan spins very slow at lower temperatures. It really only pushes a good amount of air at like 500-600.

Unfortunately, this vastly limits the fan's usefulness to me, as I usually start a fire before work or bed and leave while the stove is still at 250-300. I don't have time to wait another 30-60 minutes for the stove to be at a high temperature and the heat to have reached the fan to manually spin and start the fan.

It's a neat little device and works great on days that I am home. It also works great when I have company over and I can turn off the loud blower. But it doesn't work so great for the reason I bought it. I don't regret purchasing it, but I do wish it did more.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have used this fan for 2 winters now and I like it so much I am buying a second!, February 21, 2009
Others write that the fan does not move much air....Well, this fan is silent and it is not designed to move a ton of air. It works as described and it moves air nicely across the stove top surface. We have a soapstone stove and it seems to work nicely at moving some air across vs all of it rising. I look forward to having two fans moving air without the electical expense. I do not ever lift the fan without using the grab loop on top and I only clean the dust that has accumulated by using the brush adapter on my vacumm taking care never to touch the blades. I think the blades are balanced nicely and that aides in the silence of use. Good Luck!

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked well, but for only a day. . ., January 26, 2012

The down side:

I'll update my review once the problem is fixed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, April 25, 2009
This is my second Ecofan (one for each woodstove). The first one is still going strong. Have to blow some dust out of the motor once a year or so and put some light oil on fan shaft. Then it's good as new. Put both fans on one stove and it really moves the air. Great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fan of Ecofan, November 24, 2009
I had borrowed my neighbor's Ecofan, when I first installed my wood-burning stove. It was hard to imagine the small fan could make much draft; so I started out as a doubtful skeptic. When I had to return the fan and used the stove without it, I couldn't believe the difference. The stove was only heating up the area directly around it; so I immediately ordered the 3-bladed Ecofan Airplus and used it to spread the heat on an entire floor (approximately 1500 square feet). I can notice results within the first 30 minutes of lighting a fire; because the thermostat, a good 40 feet away, shows how effective this fan really is. I was a doubter, but now I'm a fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm "Blown" Away, February 15, 2009
Old Flour Child (Madison Township PA) - See all my reviews
This product is AWESOME! Besides the fact that I'm amazed by how it works, the fact is it DOES work. It moves the air around and you don't even know it. It has helped me heat with my wood stove more efficiently and effectively. I would recommend this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Product, January 4, 2010
The three blade version of this wood stove fan is far more effective and efficient than the 2 blade version we previously purchased. We are happy with the performance, so far.

Caframo Limited 812AM-KBX Ecofan Airmax, Nickel Blade