5.0 out of 5 stars Cake Boss is a family affair
The Cake Boss show has become a weekly "family Affair" where we all sit down to watch Buddy and his team create magic. In fact, the show has inspired me and my oldest daughter to begin creating cakes using fondant. My family and I highly recommend this show. It is great family entertainment in a world of crazy reality shows!
Published on October 23, 2009 by David G. Guinn

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok as far as reality shows go
I'll admit that I'm not a fan of reality shows. I enjoy baking, so thought I would check this out. I've watched a few episodes and it is ok. The cakes they make are pretty cool, and that's what I enjoy. All the "drama" surrounding it, not so much.
Published 21 months ago by Jen2

5.0 out of 5 stars Cake Boss is a family affair, October 23, 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Cake Show Out There, January 3, 2010
Jeremy Johnson (Washington State) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cake Boss (DVD)
There are several cake shows out there (Ace of cakes to name one), but this one is by far the best. Cake Boss creates amazing cakes, and the show is fun and safe for the whole family to watch. I would Highly recommend this to anyone that enjoys watching baking shows and anyone that needs creative ideas for creating a cake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tanti grazie! (many thanks!), February 20, 2010
Toni "the bookworm" (Chicago, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Cake Boss (DVD)
To Buddy and The Crew: I love you guys!! (I'm going to try and be objective but I don't promise you nuttin').

"Cake Boss" is an enjoyable reality show that has combined a love of family and cake decorating all into one and the cast of characters makes me feel right at home. There seem to be no holds barred, though at times, there might be just a wee bit of drama added for special effect. Regardless, this is the presentation of the daily life of an incredibly gifted baker, cake decorator, and business man. The show is currently being seen on TLC, which also gives us "Ultimate Cake Off". This is a 2-disc DVD set that contains 13 episodes plus some great bonus features of deleted scenes, an episode of "Ultimate Cake-Off", and "Mary's Moments" in which one of Buddy's sisters (who is a character all in herself) has a couple of prima donna moments.

Buddy Valastro is the "boss" of Carlo's Bakery located in Hoboken, New Jersey. His father, Buddy Sr, bought it from the original Carlo, an immigrant from Italy, who brought the joy and hard work of Italian baked goods to this neighorhood way back when. Before his father passed away, Buddy made a promise to his dad that this bakery would become famous. He definitely kept that promise and you can't help but know that his dad must must be so proud of Buddy and the entire Valastro family. While the guys work in the back of the bakery making the cakes and pastries, the girls work the storefront.

The secret to that success? Family........because no one else is going to watch your back. You know that the Valastro's have a sincere interest in this bakery and in taking care of their customers. Yes, they may argue and yell and have some stressful days but that's a business for you and at the end of the day, they're still family. This is something that Buddy emphasizes many times throughtout the episodes and you see how each member plays a special role in this bakery's success.

Just about everyone is related, and if they're not family members, they are artistic staff with each person possessing incredibly creative talents. This ocean of creativity is seen in how the cakes are planned and executed. The shows start out with Buddy meeting with clients who ask for cakes that can range from the simple to the most creative, extravagant, or wild theme. Buddy then shares his vision of what he would like the cake to look like with everyone and the planning begins as The Crew figures out the details, work, and specs needed to bring the cake projects into reality.

This is never more noted than when they made the firemans cake that looked like a real fire scene with a building that had smoke coming out of the windows, and light and sirens on the fire truck, or the wedding cake that used real doves that would be released out of the cake. There are also museum buildings, bi-planes, a roulette wheel and gambling table, a fishing boat, toy soldiers, lobsters, etc. Figures and figurines of people, animals, and objects are also made to place on the cakes which complete the "vision". And the best part is that they give you a mini-education on how all components of these cakes have to be constructed starting with consideration of the weight of the cake layers themselves (which can prove to be more of an engineering feat than anything) to the support structures needed for those weights to the characters and objects needed (made with all forms of sugars) to complete the scenes.

Take for instance, the Leaning Tower of Pisa wedding cake; it looked like the real thing! The basic construction of support for the weights, how to keeping it leaning but not falling over, making the layers, frosting it (dirty icing), covering it with fondant, all the immense detailing of the columns, arches, etc was unbelievable! (I wish I had this cake at my wedding!!)

He also makes some absolutely exquisite wedding cakes that are beyond words. The handmade sugar flowers are just breathtaking. But speaking of wedding cakes, there is one particular episode that you have to watch called "Bridezilla". I don't know if this chick was for real or if it was for added drama, but she was an absolute nightmare. What she did was inexcusable and how Buddy handled her should make him a saint.

A touching moment in this series was when Buddy started to talk about his father and how important his dad was to him as he got teary-eyed. Having lost my Pa several years ago, I started to bawl like a baby. Whether you're the son, or the daughter, a father is one of the two most important people in your life. He speaks much of his love for his own kids and there is an episode where Buddy goes to his son's school for "take your dad to school day". So you get the sense of weight that family means to the Valastro family as a whole. I feel the same way they do.

And, as to not make it sound that it's not lighthearted, there are mostly funny moments in this series when pranks, practical jokes, and surprises are played out to help break up the hard work and give some focus on some fun. By the way, if you're ever lucky enough to be there, keep one eye looking up and don't ever stand too close to the building, because buckets of flour and water seem to fall from the sky.

I am looking forward to purchasing the Season Two DVD set as soon as it's available; this current season has been a blast with the best being the life-size race car cake they made. What an episode!!

Thanks to Buddy and The Crew! You guys rock! Hope I get to meet you some day!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Show!!, April 2, 2012
Cake boss is one of my most favorite shows, not only because baking fascinates me but also these guys have such character's it makes me laugh out loud, I totally recommend watching this!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty for the eyes, delicious for the heart, May 4, 2012
I've never heard about this show before, but decided to give it a try. It becomes my favorite show now. Buddy's cake projects are amazing, but seeing how his creative mind work and how the cake team, family and the clients interact was really amusing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, February 14, 2010
This review is from: Cake Boss (DVD)
We first saw this on tv while on holiday in florida and fell in love with it, when i tried ordering from uk was unable to find so had to order from US as soon as dvd was released.Well worth the wait, it's funny, entertaining, great all round family entertainment! Nobody makes a cake like the cake boss!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cake Boss (Season 1), June 14, 2010
C. Pavli "Pav" (Sydney, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cake Boss (DVD)
Excellent DVD, I loved every minute watching all the episodes of season 1... Buddy and his team are very inspiring and entertaining to watch... its funny and the cakes that they produce are just fabulous..

5.0 out of 5 stars Sopranos meets Bakery, December 26, 2012
Shannon Mccrory (White Plains, Maryland) - See all my reviews
Absolutely love this series! Was given as a Christmas gift while I was deployed. Best part of my day was getting to watch an episode or two before going to bed. His baking is enspiring, his interaction with family and bake staff is very entertaining. It's like Sopranos meets the bakery, I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars not bad, November 14, 2012
This review is from: Cake Boss (DVD)
very good and entertaining. this show is good for the whole family. the sisters are funny and the cakes are the best

5.0 out of 5 stars Cake Boss - what a TOP SHOW, February 12, 2011
This review is from: Cake Boss (DVD)
I live in Australia & recently purchased Cake Boss Seasons 1 & 2.
I'd never heard of Cake Boss until I stumbled across this Amazon listing.
It is a fabulous show/DVD depicting extremely talented artists/bakers with some humour thrown in.
It is one of my favourite purchases so far. I thoroughly enjoyed watching & hope that many more seasons follow.
Wish I had even a little of the creativity & talent that this show depicts.
Can't wait for the release of Season 3!

Cake Boss
Cake Boss by Chad Kilpatrick (DVD - 2009)
$19.98 $12.43