4.0 out of 5 stars Cakewalk's good, but...
Cakewalk is a beautiful book with great decorating advice given in easy steps. I have made the Chocolate Blackout and Butter cakes. There are two problems with the book. There are only a few cake recipies. Also, the lovely photos show cakes from 6" to 14" inch tiers. Mz. Braun's recipies are for only 10" tiers. Her advice for pan preparation (butter...
Published on December 5, 2002 by Arlene L. Burke

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much for the money
Margaret Braun is very talented and her cakes are splendid! Nonetheless, I was initially disappointed in this book, because there are just a few cakes shown, and although they are beautiful indeed, they don't begin to be worth even the discounted sticker price! A good number of the pages have just a few words spaced widely apart, having mostly to do with her thoughts on...
Published on September 24, 2001 by jumpy1

5.0 out of 5 stars Cakewalk, May 31, 2010
This review is from: Cakewalk: Adventures In Sugar With Margaret Braun (Hardcover)
I purchased this book for a very close friend who is making cakes as a side business. I thought it would be a great Mother's Day present. She absolutely loves it! The book has all kinds of skill-building ideas as well as background about Margaret Braun and her amazing talent.

4.0 out of 5 stars fanatic for details, and a good story, February 23, 2010
Margaret Braun has truly outdone herself with Cakewalk. In leafing through it, I was amazed by her love of architecture, design style history and stories that inspired her designs. Brava!

5.0 out of 5 stars Uses Basic Skills to Create Ornate Pieces, December 28, 2008
I absolutely love this book. On one level it is pure eye candy and on another it is a valuable tool. Ms. Braun's approach is unique. She uses skills from art, music and a bit of history to help create her unique designs. While one would look at her work and see that it is complicated and difficult, I actually see that she uses a lot of basic piping skills and other techniques. with a little practice one could definitely recreate some of the lovely decorations she has created.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cakewalk by Margaret Braun, June 8, 2008
Oh my gosh!! What can I say about this book other than it is the best book I have ever seen. I have already duplicated two (easy ones) from here and have been practicing of making curliques etc. Just looking at the pictures floods your mind with creations of your own and the practice cakes gave me tons of ideas while working on them--I wanted to expand but didn't have time but sure plan to work on more cakes soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, January 1, 2008
A wonderful book...anyone who is learning or wants to create beauty should buy this book and learn from a good chef. The instructions are easy to follow. What i liked was the information about where to purchase products needed.One good book for collectors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book, December 6, 2007
I can also say that this book is not for beginners that are looking for decorating tips. But as a former graphic designer and current sculptor/cake decorator I can say that this is a beautiful book. It's textural (Great use of black and white photography), well designed and has a visual depth to it unlike many cakes books out there.
Whether or not Ms. Brauns ornate style of design appeals to you, it would be hard not to get caught up in in the masterful details.
Lastly, the Chocolate Blackout cake recipe is a no-fail crowd pleaser and has become a permanent addition to my recipe file.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, April 21, 2007
This book is amazing, I love this woman. However, this book is NOT for the beginner in cake design. Had I bought it during my novice days, I would have been dissapointed. Now that I know what's going on in cake decorating and design, I understood every single instruction given on this book. I used to beat myself over the head to try to design the most beautiful cake ever. With a few tricks of the trade given by this author, now I can. I am no expert like Margaret is, but my ideas are now flowing. The way she crafts the chalices as cake toppers, it's the most simple way possible. The technique is there, the rest is up to your imagination. I AM VERY PLEASED WITH THIS BOOK. I love it, and I browse it every day to get more inspirations and ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular, May 30, 2007
Es un libro espectacular y excelente, muy bueno, claro, explicativo y bellas fotos. Lo recomiendo a todas las personas que deseen aprender como decorar exoticos y majestuosos pasteles, tortas o biscochos.

It is spectacular and excellent book, descriptive and with beautiful pictures. I recommend it for all people that want to learn how to decorate exotic and majestic cakes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!, August 30, 2006
This is a wonderful book for getting wedding cake ideas or creating your own amazing cake. The recipes are easy to follow and fun to make! A great book, you can't go wrong!

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit high falutin!, September 29, 2001
By A Customer
This is a beautiful book, but i wish there had been more cakes and less talk. Many of the cakes were from past magazines, so I would have liked to have seen more new things. The few instructions there were were not too helpful, to say the least.

Cakewalk: Adventures In Sugar With Margaret Braun
Cakewalk: Adventures In Sugar With Margaret Braun by Margaret Braun (Hardcover - September 22, 2001)
Used & New from: $23.84