Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation Learn more

When you are trying to get young people to read, the best thing in the world you can do is give them a book about something they love and can relate to. With HOTHEAD by Cal Ripken, Jr. and Kevin Cowherd they have done just that.

The book takes you into the experiences of Connor Sullivan, a young man who pushes himself harder than anyone else and has the tendency not to take not reaching his own expectations very well. The result is a string of incidents that could threaten everything that he is working for and do more harm than good.

For individuals who love sports--regardless of your age---you will find this book easy to read and devour it up because it speaks to what you know about the game of baseball and those who play it. For readers like myself, you are definitely fall into the storyline, wondering what will happen to someone with so much potential and promise. Will he lose it all or learn how to keep his emotions in check?

I applaud Ripken and Cowherd for penning this book that is just what we need when it comes to not only telling a story that is very much true to life regardless of what your passion in life is. We all are faced with being our own worse enemy. Using sports as the bait, though, I feel the guys will also get individuals to pick this book up that would probably not be interested in another type of read.

Yes HOTHEAD is a cool read for young and old, regardless what your personal interest might be when it comes to the game. The storyline will be enough to keep you going until the very end.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon April 1, 2011
'Hothead' is a book that is more than a young person's reading. Those who love baseball and are Cal Ripken fans would enjoy this. It is a story about a first-rate young ballplayer, Connor who suddenly has become a hothead and faces the prospect of getting thrown off his team if he cannot control his tantrums on the field.
There is more to learn here than good sportsmanship. Connor's father has lost his job and even though he has a loving family and friends, tensions are high. We learn the value of friendship and confiding in them - many others have lost their jobs too. This of course is also a lesson in good sportsmanship.

Cal Ripken with Kevin Cowherd, a fine sports writer with the Baltimore Sun have written this book that many young, as well as older readers can identify with, whether they play ball or not. It is an example in what was called the Oriole Way in Ripken's playing days. It is not just about baseball though, but life, school, and friends.
It is written for ages 8-12. Younger baseball fans might enjoy having it read to them, as would those older adults that do the reading.
on August 8, 2011
I am 28 and play ball 5 day of the week. Big Orioles and Cal Ripken Jr. fan as well. I bought this book just to add to my baseball book collection but read the book because I had it. I too am a player than can have a bit of a temper and this children's book helped me put a few things I do during games into perspective. Long story short I think this children's book will help me as an adult on the ball field by controlling emotions.
on June 10, 2015
My son Zelvin Collins wrote this review
I received this book from my school Eisenhower Academy Of Global Studies. I read this book whenever I am punished and every once in a while. Also, I selected this choice of book because I am a fan of sports. Many of my family members play the sport of baseball. I enjoyed this book because my dad's family had a baseball team called the Cade Raiders. This book is related because it is about a son following the footsteps of his father playing shortstop. His father tries to get him to stop throwing temper tantrums during baseball games. He learns how to stop throwing tantrums during the wrong time. His father did pushups when he felt the need to throw tantrums. I would recommend this book to others for temper tantrum and anger problems.
on March 24, 2014
this book was really funny and good. cal ripken jr did amazing on the book. I strongly reccomend to anyone who likes baseball and humor. He blew the book out of the park (baseball pun). The worst part of the whole book was when you finish hothead.
on May 22, 2014
Connor Sullivan is an All-Star shortstop on his Babe Ruth team, the Orioles. His fielding and hitting are super-good and out of this world. But he has one big problem. He has a temper. Some folks call it an 'attitude.'
When things don't always go his way he throws a fit by slamming down his batting helmet or throwing his glove. Soon his teammates are fed up and avoid him. Even the coach is ready to kick him off the team. To make matters worse with money problems at home Connor might not be able to attend the prestigious Brooks Robinson Baseball Camp that summer.
When Connor finally realizes that he must clean-up his act he wonders if it's too late to regain his teammates trust not to mention play in the prestigious baseball camp.
Keeping a 'cool head' is very important for every young baseball player, especially if he or she desires to maintain the trust of his teammates. Using his former major league baseball experience, Cal Ripken, Jr. shares with baseball fanatics an intriguing, exciting baseball story. Marvin P. Ferguson, author of THE UNKNOWN BASEBALL PLAYER.
on May 10, 2013
These books were given to my 8 year old Grandson for his birthday. he was very pleased and started reading one right away.
I'm hoping he will learn some of Cal Ripken's life lessons while enjoying the books.
on April 5, 2011
We purchased this book for our 10 year old son. He isn't an avid reader, but is very into sports, particularly baseball. We thought this book would be a good read for him. He finished it in no time and plans to read it again. He loved the book, the characters, and the lessons learned. He couldn't stop talking about it. We would highly recommend this book.
on January 30, 2013
My son and I just read this book together and enjoyed it thoroughly. Good story with a nice sized plot. Room for the hero to grow and learn from his mistake. Taught good lessons about life and baseball.
on January 2, 2014
I purchased this for my 12 year old niece who plays softball. She is an excellent pitcher whose team wins many tournaments. This book has a moral to it which is good for children this age. She loved it!