Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on September 30, 2009
One aim for a project like this is to bring the history of a place back to life -- to give a town or a region the voices of its own past. The only way to do it is to dig, dig, dig and learn more about what happened than any one person has ever known before. The final step is to tell the story with grace and humanity so that it reaches -- and touches -- readers of all kinds and places. "Calamity" succeeds each step of the way.
on August 11, 2013
Joann Green Byrd does a terrific job at re-creating the Heppner Flood of 1903. I'm from the East Coast and had no idea about this disaster. Thanks to Joann, she brought it to life in "Calamity." Her vivid descriptions make you feel you know the real characters in the book. The reader sees the flood approaching, the devastation, and the clean-up and search for the deceased that followed. As folks didn't talk about this event, it's taken 100 years to create a memorial in Heppner. I look forward to visiting Heppner and learning even more. But, I'm sure, Joann's extraordinary, exhaustive research covered it all.
Beautiful descriptive writing!
on January 21, 2012
"Calamity: The Heppner Flood of 1903" by Joann Green Byrd gives us a peak at a snapshot of time, and an era in America that is now long gone. With a new weather disaster on our evening news just about every month, we forget how far our country has come in responding to crisis. Joann Byrd shows us very clearly how different things were in 1903, and how terrible.

This book was entertaining, enlightening, and meticulously researched. Reading "Calamity" left me thinking once again about the great hubris of mankind. In 1903 people thought you could divert as much of a river into your own personal cow pond as you wanted without natural repercussions and they were fatally wrong. That made me as a modern reader wonder what we as a species are doing right now that could lead to our ruin.

"Calamity" also made me remember once again, the strength of the human spirit and the love people can show their neighbors (and total strangers) in time of need. Paradoxically, I was inspired by this story, at the same time I was shaking my head in horror.
on May 29, 2016
This must read story is a wonderful reminder of our American DNA. The Mattock and Estes's victims are the and hero Les Matlock are my ancestors. They were children and grandchildren of pioneers who walked from the Mid-West over the Oregon trail fighting Indians and terrain in 1853 to find a better life.! Come hell or high water they were driven to succeed and this book captures their spirit and their legacy. Thank you Ms Byrd so much for the hard work and dedication you showed in honoring their memories. God bless you..Sherry Matlock Estes
on July 20, 2013
I have always heard the stories about the Heppner flood and how some of the old family members were caught, helped, or some lost loved ones in the flood,~~~ told over the years. So now I can read all the historical details about the flood. I am sorry to say I have yet to read the book in full, it most likely will be read this winter in the long nights ~~~~~~~
on August 15, 2009
"Calmity: The Heppner Flood of 1903" is a sweeping and gripping account of how an entire town faced disaster together. Characters... real human beings lost in the dust bin of forgotten memories... have been brought convincingly and compellingly to life through this gifted author's incredibly detailed research and authentic human compassion. It is an ode to the human spirit. Filled with pathos, bathos, and historical truths, this story is so engrossing I could not set it down. This is such a page-turner, I'm going to begin turning them again immediately!

[...]
on May 6, 2010
Terrific book, in wonderful condition, just as described. Quick turnaround made this a very pleasant transaction
on March 18, 2015
Part of family history that we had never known the details of.
on October 26, 2015