Calculators vs. Spreadsheets I've been an analyst in real estate for about 12 years now. Admittedly, it's far from the most complicated form of financial analysis, but I find it is far, far easier to use a spreadsheet than a calculator. I own and use both a 10b and a 12c, but the truth is I haven't used either for anything other than long division I can't do in my head in at least 5 years. If I am in a meeting, rather than risk a data entry error with a calculator, I either break out a laptop or say "I'll get back to you on that." With all the glowing reviews above, I'm wondering what I'm missing.
Dan
asked by Dan on December 17, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 answers
A
votes
If you told me you'll get back with me, I'll drop you faster than a hot potato and go with your competitor who gives me on the spot results.
Comp Expert answered on September 6, 2010

A
votes
are you suggesting that people make fewer data entry errors with spreadsheets than with the 12c? I make fewer data entry errors with my hp calculators than with computer keyboards.
manfrengensen answered on February 11, 2014

A
votes
If you travel, especially if you travel light, you can ditch the laptop. If you are on the go for extended periods without access to a power point, your laptop is likely to die. Heck, even calculator emulators on an iPad are at the mercy of the battery life...
Pocket calculators are the "go to" solution when portability and low power are paramount.
Big Al answered on July 3, 2014
‹ Previous   1   Next ›