5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent condition, great price
This book was the recommended text in my calculus class. The look and feel of textbooks really matters to me - literally determines how much I'll enjoy studying and how much I'll 'learn' from the book. I decided to go for hardcover and I'm glad I did. The book was in excellent condition! Just like new and a great deal for the price. Slightly on the heavy side, but I enjoy...
Published 9 months ago by Damselle

1.0 out of 5 stars One book, to destroy them all.
In the days of the elves and dwarves, one book was fashioned from the fires of an ancient volcano by an evil wizard.
Or that's what this book appears to be whenever I have consulted it for any help in my studies.

Published on September 9, 2010 by Lirisimah Sorrim

1.0 out of 5 stars One book, to destroy them all., September 9, 2010

I don't know who is responsible for picking the books for classes, but whoever picked this book for a calculus class deserves more than a slow death. This book focuses more on writing proofs for problems than -any- remotely useful concepts in solving equations.
It's one thing when you're teaching a man to fish, it's another thing when you're teaching a man how to talk about how to fish.
One way gets you fish, the other way makes you starve to death.

I cannot say anything positive about this book at all. Every piece of this unholy tome is utterly useless. If you must get it for a class, get it for the problems, and find a more respectable book to learn from.

On a side note, I was even more irritated that Amazon had the audacity to make me give it a star in the first place.
I would have easily given it no stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Regarding Kindle Edition Only..., September 18, 2010
Faculty please note: the Kindle edition has typographical problems. Some characters appear to be dropped. Also, unknowns are never emphasized (italicized) and very often - especially with $t$ for some reason - they are run into the succeeding word. Most of this can be worked out fine by a reader who is comfortable with the material - but isn't the primary audience for a textbook students who by definition are NOT comfortable with the material? All in all, it's a appalling job of converting a text book that costs over $90 to download (and so won't cut into their profit margin with resales). I will have to think twice about buying a Kindle book from Wiley again. About the book itself, as content, I have no complaints, so this bad review rests squarely on the production staff. Oh, and by the way, Wiley: if Amazon can take a book off my Kindle, you can get them to update it with a fixed version. Do it, and I'll happily pull this review.

1.0 out of 5 stars A horrid book, January 18, 2010
I don't know what branch of math education thought this book was compiled with, but leaving the student helpless is definitely part of it. The book throws a couple of very easy examples that are not mirrored in the actual exercises. What does not help is arguably in some cases there is too much focus on proof and really no examples on how to approach a proof based question. If your professor (or math department) requires it, consider getting yourself as a supplement an older version of Larson's calculus.

I will admit, that if your professor covers the sections better than the book, the wide variety of problems will be an asset. But that's only if your professor provides a wide variety of examples, or mathematics comes naturally to you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible book!, August 2, 2006
This book does not provide enough examples, and the few they do give are nothing like the work problems. Every teacher I've had has said if they were not required to use it, they would use a different book. And on top of that, it is ridiculously expensive! I have finally been forced to get another text book, and it is much better (and cheaper). Do not get this book if you have a choice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Opaque; provides little context; all but useless to the freshman, October 25, 2007
Little explanation or background is provided to orient the student; the book assumes the reader has been using trigonometry and algebra on a daily basis for the better part of adulthood. An example of this is the section on rates and related rates (4.6). There are two paragraphs given in the way of explanation:

"Derivatives represent rates of change. In this section, we see how to calculate rates in a variety of situations."

And...

"In Example 1, the radius of the snowball decreased at a constant rate. A more realistic scenario is for the radius to decrease at different rates at different times. Then, we may not be able to write a formula for V as a function of t. However, we may still be able to calculate dV/dt, as in the following example."

No mention of how the process of working related rates problems is similar to implicit differentiation. No step-by-step outline of a general way to go about working this category of problem. Just examples outside of any framework.

Better for a refresher in Calculus for graduate students than a freshman-level course. I used Stewart's "Calculus: Concepts and Contexts" to learn how to do the assigned work from this text.

Don't think the solutions manual will help--only a subset of the odd problems in the text are described and the explanations are often wanting.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Bad Book, January 21, 2007
This book is terrible. I used it for both calc 1 and 2. The University of Connecticut used this book for 3 semesters and than decided it was junk. Most of the math department hated the book and for the spring 07 semester they switched to the James Stewart book which is used for multivariable.

The problems are very hard and often the chapter does not show how to solve or give you strageties to solve them, the book does nothing well and is just an expensive paper back book with a horrible solution manual.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst math book I've ever had to use!, December 12, 2010
R. Paul (St. Paul, Minnesota United States) - See all my reviews
If your professor requires you to use this math book for your calculus class....I'm sorry! It's awful to try and learn from, she skips multiple steps, assuming you already know how to do those steps, some of which are new to calculus. The exercises aren't shown in any examples and you are expected to figure it out on your own....My only tip if you get stuck with this book, get a good teacher or tutor!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very helpful, May 23, 2010
Larry N. (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I have to agree with most of the 1 star reviews. This book focuses too much on proof, and has very simple problems solved for you. The homework is very diverse and their methods and logic need to solve them are not covered in its section.

I believe it does the student a great disservice to not use some kind of example that is similar to all (if not most) of the problems given. For example, the logic behind related rates problems are confusingly explained and some HW problems throw in problems with constants ( like "k" and they must be considered for the problem to be solved). A student new to calculus (which is always the case, duh) who has not taken physics or maybe advanced chemistry would not be familiar with some ideas which are considered in most problems.

There are a handful of sections which show how to solve a problem, like the quotient rule, and then show its proof (interesting and debatable if its necessary) and then quickly launches into HW.

I believe this book is good for its diverse HW problems, but any student who is required to have this textbook must have an excellent instructor who ensures understanding or a supplemental calc book (like the calculus lifesaver or similar).

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, February 28, 2010
This is probably one of the worst math books I've ever had. It introduces difficult concepts and then provides minimal and confusing explanations. Each chapter plugs through several examples that leave you even more confused. It also assumes that you both understand and remember everything from previous chapters, and if you're not good at math like me that won't be the case - which, of course will leave you even MORE confused. It gets to a point where a lot of the people in my class read the chapter and get nothing out of it. DON'T GET THIS BOOK!!!! And PLEASE, if you're a teacher don't force your students to use this piece of crap!

2.0 out of 5 stars A really really dry calculus book, February 6, 2007
While I do not expect calculus to be much other than dry, this text was especially difficult to read and follow. The chapters were very short but that is probably because the explanations were so brief. The problems were not broken down into easy to understand steps at all. Considering that this is a Calculus I book I, and other classmates, felt that there could have been a lot more explanation on the problems. I did, however, take the course online, so there was also no actual discussion involved in my learning. That said, I do not think that the book is effective for independent learning at all.

Calculus: Single Variable
Calculus: Single Variable by David Lomen (Hardcover - November 19, 2004)
Used & New from: $8.44