5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book

2.0 out of 5 stars Worst Textbook Ever
Published 21 months ago by WesZ344

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Worst Textbook Ever, February 9, 2013
The college I am taking classes through required this book. Why, I don't know. They must receive monetary incentive from the publisher. The concepts are arranged well enough, but I expect more straightforward depth from a text book. Often in an example the authors leave it to the student to work through the mechanics of a calculation, usually utilizing a technique that is new to the student. "We leave it as an exercise to prove that..." or "Can you think of a reason that f(x) is undefined <1?". That would be well and good if they eventually offered an explanation, but they don't. Also the authors seem to think it's trivial to make a leap from the simple to overly complex. Any student returning to Calculus after a few years break will find that jump frustrating.

The exercises at the end of each section have plenty of depth. So much so that there isn't always an odd numbered problem that is similar to the even numbered problems (nor an example in the section text for that matter). This leaves the student going to another source for to work through a problem. This is a text book, it should be the only source that I ever need.

The Student Solution Manual is riddled with missing exponents, and dropped coefficients. Plus it almost never provides enough steps to show the student how to work through the problem. And of course it only covers the odd numbered problems.

3.0 out of 5 stars Calculus, June 29, 2011
This book was very difficult to follow when studying on my own. The examples are short with not much explanation. I love calculus, but not this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, May 19, 2014
While I have read other reviews panning this book, as a Calculus teacher I think it is great. I don't understand why some have stated that it leaves out parts of solving examples. Of course it leaves out trivial steps that, for Calculus students, should already have been learned prior to taking a Cal class. If you are looking to teach yourself Calculus and are not a good math student perhaps you should look at a high school level text before attempting any college level text including this one. However, if you are taking Calculus in college and you struggle with this book and its materials, perhaps you should consider taking a different class that is more aligned with your current mathematical abilities and then try Calculus and this text. If you have taken those classes and this book still doesn't make sense to you, be mad at your past teachers for not preparing you for Calculus...don't be mad at this excellent text book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sub-Par at best, April 18, 2012
As someone with experience in Calculus before using this book I find this one to be incredibly difficult to learn from. The text constantly jumps from simpler forms of the equations to overly complex ones without bridging the gap in between. The concepts do not follow an easy to understand flow. The worst part I find is the problem answer book, this book does not show adequate work to explain how any answers were arrived at and turns out very confusing where they derive their answers from. Overall very lazy writing was put into this book and I would not suggest it as a teaching material.

3.0 out of 5 stars Falculus, June 5, 2013
Only had book three days and already came across two problems with incorrect solutions. Not useful for entry level calculus student.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible textbook, especially if you're not very adept at math, September 4, 2013
This is the worst math textbook I have ever encountered. For example, my husband is a very smart man, and he has taken calculus once in high school and once in college. Since it had been a few years since his last calculus class, he tried to look through this book to refresh his memory before helping me with my calculus class; this book wasn't even detailed enough for him to do that! He agrees with me that this is the worst math textbook we've seen yet.

As for learning on my own, the book is worse than useless. I'm taking an online calculus class, and if it weren't for Khan Academy, I would have failed. The book frequently leaves out important steps, and doesn't fully explain things. The wording is very confusing. I don't know how this gets used for any college class; I can't imagine any math teacher looking through this and thinking it was a good pick.

2.0 out of 5 stars Solutions offer very little reasoning for their answer, November 17, 2012
Not a great book. I would recommend you go in the direction of Howard Anton. The explanations are better as well as examples. Mathematics, especially Calculus should be taught in good detail without confusing students. Learning math from a book is possible if the book offers explanations for their answers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad book, October 30, 2013
If you have a strong calc foundation this book shouldn't lead you astray, I was forced to use this book in Calc2 even though the book I was using "Early Transcendental Functions" covers most if not all of what is in this book. You will see more practacle problems involving physics which you wont see in others like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delivers what you need to move forward and play with math, July 23, 2012
I'm on a crash mathematics self-teaching programming, in order to try to understand String Theory, Quantum Mechanics, and Cosmology to name a few deep math subjects. CETF, delivers much of the missing info I could not find in my other texts, like how to approximate the length of a curve several ways. I ended using my Excel skills to generate a problems solving spreadsheet to prove much of what I was trying to learn, to myself. CETF is great along with graphing utilities, spreadsheets, and other computer toys. The authors have tough problems that really let you learn how to push the envelope, but not without first being introduced to your supporting material to get you through. I recommend having internet access, several algebra, pre-calc, geometry, advanced algebra; in order to enhance what CETF can do for you. If you love playing with math, applied math, theoretical and cutting edge math, than CETF and a great text to have with the rest of your toys.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Calculus Book, June 19, 2010
Pegean DeNicola "Pegean" (Madison, Wi United States) - See all my reviews
I did not learn very much from this book. Steps in the explanation of how to do problems were left out, and the text was difficult to read. Examples did not always convey their meaning or their application.

The solution manual was terrible. The problems were solved, but there were no explanations, and frequently steps were left out. Several times the pages and problem numbers in the text did not match the pages and solution numbers in the solutions manual. I spent a lot of time looking for the solutions to problems that were numbered incorrectly and or on the wrong page.

It's find to except the student to think for themselves but first they need the informations and techniques.

Look else where for a calculus textbook. (A Student)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Calculus: Early Transcendental Functions
Calculus: Early Transcendental Functions by Robert T. Smith (Paperback - February 1, 2011)
Used & New from: $64.94