There are no customer reviews yet.  Create your own review

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love it, non greasy, no streaks, no burns, and no toxins, November 18, 2010
This review is from: California Baby SPF 30 + Sunscreen Lotion - Super Sensitive, 2.9 oz (Baby Product)
I'm late to the game and just realized that there are lots of harmful agents in even the supposedly gentle sunscreen for kids. We went thru testing lots of sunscreens, but b/c I don't want the chemical blocks (anything that doesn't have titanium or zinc oxide) that'd react with skin, we usually use Bull Frog Solarsphere (which is pretty good) but it's very thick and white, even though it does the job done. I was forced to use chemical blocks (most of the products on the market) but non are as effective as the physical block sunscreens (ie, those with titanium oxide). I was so happy to have found California Baby sunscreen at a friend's recommendation. Before I bought it I cautiously read the reviews on Amazon, especially the negative ones. I'm glad I did, b/c apparently there are different types of California Baby, some aren't PABA free.

This one, the one says fragrant free, does NOT contain PABA. So please read the ingredients carefully before you order (words that ends with -paraben is the one you don't want to have in your sunscreen).

I had no problem with spreading this white cream evenly onto my skin (and I have very tanned skin). It is not streaky, messy, and sticky. It goes on very smoothly, and my skin is only a slight shade lighter, very slight, once I fully spread it on my skin.

This product does contain titanium oxide, so it's supposed to remain ON TOP of the skin, not inside the skin and being absorbed (i read some complained about this). That's how they block the UV ray, and that's why the physical blocks don't irritate skin and are safer for young children to use. If you want something that's clearly absorbed into the skin, use chemical blocks (just about most other products don't have titanium oxide), it creates chemical reactions with your skin and supposedly help block UV rays. But now to look at all that news reports about the fact that there are carcinogens inside most of the sunscreens, I'd think twice about ever using chemical blocks again.

2.0 out of 5 stars This product contains micronized titanium dioxide, June 10, 2011
Kumazawa, et. al. in their study, "Effects of Titanium Ions and Particles on Neutrophil Function and Morphology" concluded that cytotoxicity (danger to the cell) was dependent on the particle size of titanium dioxide. The smaller the particle size, the more toxic it is. This conclusion is relevant to the consumer because of the cosmetics industry's increasing use of micronized pigments in sunscreens and colour cosmetics. Nanoparticles of titanium dioxide are used in sunscreens because they are colourless at that size and still absorb ultraviolet light. Many cosmetic companies are capitalizing on metal oxide nanoparticles. We have seen, however, that if titanium dioxide particles used to act as a sunscreen are small enough, they can penetrate the cells, leading to photocatalysis within the cell, causing DNA damage after exposure to sunlight (Powell, et. al. 1996) The fear is that this could lead to cancer in the skin. Studies with subjects who applied sunscreens with micronized titanium dioxide daily for 2-4 weeks showed that the skin can absorb microfine particles. These particles were seen in the percutaneous layers of the skin under UV light. Coarse or fine particles of titanium dioxide are safe and effective at deflecting and absorbing UV light, protecting the skin, but consumers should avoid using products with micronized mineral pigments, either in sunscreens or colour cosmetics.
[...]

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, June 1, 2009
Although I love California Baby's bath products and their Sunscreen Stick, I was surprisingly disappointed in this product. I applied it very generously on my toddler's arms and legs, and it did not seem to protect her for more than a half hour in the sun. Additionally, she has very sensitive skin and I found that it irritated her arms with small bumps. Perhaps for a baby that is not very fair skinned or sensitive, this product works better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for white skin..., April 1, 2012
While this product seems good and applies nicely to my skin, my daughter, who is black, looks like she is starring in a zombie film. It turned her skin an awful purplish color.

2.0 out of 5 stars Has propylparaben = coral bleaching, May 26, 2008
Was looking for a sunscreen that wouldn't contribute to bleaching of the coral reefs. I was all excited to find this until I saw that it has "parabens" (propylparaben to be exact) which contribute to coral bleaching. Gonna get this when our baby comes along, but for now, I can't use it to snorkel in Hawai'i. :( Badger sunscreen it is!

EDIT: Despite comments to the contrary, this particular product DOES have parabens (just read the ingredient list provided on this page). Please note, this is NOT the fragrance-free version (which IS, apparently, paraben-free). If you order this specific product, you will recieve a product with parabens.

1.0 out of 5 stars Changed their formula without telling us, new one doesn't work!!!, July 12, 2013
We have used this the past two years and although it did have it's flaws, I wanted something mostly natural that didn't irritate our sensitive skin. This did make you look a bit purple and was hard to wash off, but it definitely worked. In March of 2013, we bought some for Spring Break and I noticed the bottle looked a little changed but it didn't say new formula or anything like that. I put it on and noticed that it went on better so I wondered if they made changes, but we were on the beach so I had to use it regardless. I burned so bad it almost ruined my vacation. I compared the old and new bottles when we got home and they lowered the levels of sunscreen ingredients and changed some of the others.

So, it no longer works and I'm upset that they didn't make it more obvious that this was no longer the same product. Shame because I bought all the old ones I could find and have to start all over for a new brand now. The reviews before 2013 would not be representative of this product in stores now.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best sunblock for kids, April 24, 2007
This is a fabulous sunblock for kids. It spreads easily on the skin, and is not "tacky" feeling to the touch, like some other sunblocks we've tried. Yes, it turns the skin whitish - but that is part of how it is able to be an effective sunblock without the nasty chemicals present in other sunblocks. Children have thinner skin than adults so it is even more important to use natural products on them, as they absorb more of whatever you are putting on them - for my child, I would rather have her look whit-ish than be absorbing chemicals through her skin. Our whole family uses this product and have found it very effective in providing protection from the sun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for sensative skin, May 4, 2009
Busy Mom (Gainesville, FL) - See all my reviews
My baby got puffy eyes from every sunscreen we tried. The dermatologist suggested Blue Lizard. However, after lots of other expensive bottles we found that California Baby was the only sunscreen that worked for her. We used it only on her face and a less expensive sunscreen for her entire body. A bottle lasted us all summer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Product!, May 28, 2007
Jessica (South Eastern, Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
I started using this product about 3 years ago when my daughter was first born. Hands down this is the most effective and safest sunscreen on the market for children and babies. The white residue on the skin is part of the minerals that they use to deflect harmful UV rays and is OK by me. My daughter thinks it is fairy dust and she loves putting it on. I personally like the thick texture because it makes me notice areas that I may have missed. If you have any doubt in your mind about this sunscreen please check out the extensive database at [..]on personal care products.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best sunscreen on the market!, July 22, 2010
This is the only sunscreen that my family will use. It is truly fragrance free.....meaning that it doesn't leave that scent behind that the ones the drugstores sell that claim to be unscented. It is the most water-proof sunscreen we've ever used. I have small children and I can put this on them before sun and swimming and we can stay out about 4 hours without burning and without reapplying the product. Wouldn't go a summer without it.