5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, dependable
Published on February 22, 2011 by Charles K. Summers

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Design for the Carry Handle Retainer
So, the backpack itself so far seems well made. Zippers haven't torn apart, nothing has ripped, etc. It also is fairly roomy, as all of my son's books and lunchbox fit inside, along with a sweatshirt and hat and gloves.

Published 24 months ago by John Jablonski

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Design for the Carry Handle Retainer, March 10, 2013

As a backpack, my son reports that it's fairly uncomfortable tho. Which is not unexpected I guess given the structure required for the carry handle.

Now for the really detailed portion of the review....

After about a week of being lugged around by a 10-year-old boy, the handle came completely out of the backpack. Rather than sending it back for a replacement or refund, I opted to take it apart and fix it. The carry handle is very poorly retained to the bottom stopper. The handle itself is fairly thin aluminum, and there are only two tabs bent in to hold the bottom plastic stopper in place. Needless to say, after a few tugs, those weak tabs broke off, allowing the handle to come out; the plastic retainer stays in the inner tube, which is screwed to the backpack.

After disassembling the handle assembly (a total of 5 screws), I took a slotted screwdriver and hammered several significant sized divots into the bottom of the handle, driving the aluminum into the plastic stopper. The handle assembly should now be "permanent," as I significantly deformed the tube, driving it into the plastic. It is now much more robust than the as-shipped design. (If I can I'll upload pictures.)

I didn't go below three stars despite the handle falling apart within the first week because the pack itself seems well made, and because the handle was able to be disassembled and repaired/improved.

To CalPak: I suggest you improve your retention method to the bottom stopper. It shouldn't be too hard to make a simple tool to better press the two pieces together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, dependable, February 22, 2011
Charles K. Summers (Alta Loma, California) - See all my reviews
My 9-year-old son is very hard on backpacks -- he rides on them, throws them, and even occasionally uses them to bring his books home for homework. When his last one expired, I looked around for a backpack that might last through Elementary School (2 more years after this one). I think this one might do it. The handle seems a bit wobbly when extended but seems to hold together well -- just loosely joined. The zipper has survived some good jams and the fabric has made it through mud, rain, and fights. For the price range, this is a good backpack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good and nice looking backpack, September 24, 2010
This is very nice wheeled backpack. It is in very good quality build, and the design and color looks good. However, it is bigger than I expected. I think it is little bigger for kids under 9. This size is suitable for high school kids.

After all, I am still very happy with my purchase. I give it 5 stars and recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too small for big textbooks!, December 26, 2012
I think this bag better for grade school children because I bought this for my college textbooks and they will not fit well! I tried putting in 2 big textbooks (about 400 pages each) and that's all it will fit. If it's cramped in there, then the bag tilts over and falls down. Not good quality for college students or for larger textbooks. It's not roomy inside at all. I would have bought a different one if I had known. However, the zipper works fine and the handle is alright. Nothing is broken.

5.0 out of 5 stars sturdy backpack, August 23, 2010
i bought this wheeled backpack for my son...he love it. he carry a lot of stuff in school and fits all in this bag. it looks great and sturdy. so happy i bought this.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good!, February 5, 2012
We have been quite pleased with these backpacks. We have purchased 3, one for each of our children. The handle is easy to raise and lower, the main compartment is sufficient for school books and the wheeled bottom is reinforced. The side mesh pockets were not sufficient in size for our reusable water bottles, which was a bit of a disappointment as they have already ripped, but having tried a couple of other packs first and returning them quickly (one broke same day!), this one seems to be the best for our needs.

1.0 out of 5 stars A broken bag, November 9, 2010
Connie Wing (Kowloon, Hong Kong) - See all my reviews
I would like to complain about the quality of this bag. My son 5th grader, started using this bag. It was broken after 3 weeks. Then, when I tried to make a complain that the manufacturing company, they are even charging a fee to make a return. Totally unreasonable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely great rolling backpack!, May 22, 2013
MK (Pleasanton, CA) - See all my reviews
Durable material; lightweight; compact and nicely looking design; wheels and handle feel quite sturdy.

*Does not have a laptop compartment.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good........., December 29, 2010
Santa brought this item for my 9 year old daughter who wanted a school bag. It is a good solid bag with plenty of room for all her books, folders, lunch box, etc. Due to the weight of her books she wanted a wheeled bag and this fits the bill perfectly. However, as it's less than a week since Santa brought this bag, and as she won't be back at school until Jan 10th, I will have to reserve judgement on how it holds up to daily usage until later.

1.0 out of 5 stars we can only sell you the spare part you need Best Regards Warranty Center, July 29, 2014
Beware CalPak does not allow warranty if you buy from Amazon. The handle broke within a week and this is the response I got from CalPak.

Warranty Department <warranty@calpaks.com>
Unfortunately our warranty does not cover Amazon customers due to certain agreements the store has with the company, we can only sell you the spare part you need

Best Regards