1,616 Reviews

well, color me surprised.

Published 20 months ago by M. Lohrke

2.0 out of 5 stars Treyarch Just Can't Get it Right
I'm a pretty huge COD fan, but I must say that this game is disappointing overall. For some reason, the Treyarch COD games are just sub-par to me. I like almost all of the changes Treyarch made to the game set up (pick 10 classes, scorestreaks based on score, not just kills, etc.) but this doesn't matter if the gameplay itself is bad.

I'm referring to online...
Published 16 months ago by M.C.

4.0 out of 5 stars a review on the campaign, multiplayer, zombies and combat training, November 18, 2012
M. Lohrke (Saratoga Springs, UT) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops II - PlayStation 3 (Video Game)
well, color me surprised.

after having been disappointed by the last couple of CoD games, i was hesitant to purchase black ops 2. a lot of the gripes and criticisms of black ops 1 and more particularly MW3, were wholly justified. but, being the sucker that i am, i forked over $60 because i love me a FPS and i really enjoyed combat training in the first black ops (more on combat training in a minute). after having spent nearly a week with the game, here's my verdict:

campaign - in short, it's a massive improvement over the last four CoD campaigns. i don't think it's stretch to say it's the best CoD campaign since CoD4. yes, it still looks dated (very dated, actually), but what it lacks in snappy graphics it makes up for in pure fun. all the trailers leading up the game led me to believe the campaign took place in the future. well, only about half the game takes place in the future. the other half takes place during the last days of the cold war. all the protagonists from BO1 are back and they all still speak like testosterone-happy alpha males (the franchise really, really needs legit writers who can write dialogue). however, the gunplay is what matters and that's where BO2 excels. first of all, you can customize your load out before you start every mission. it's a nice touch that allows you play your way. not all guns, attachments, camos, etc are available right off the bat (you have to unlock them like you do in the multiplayer), but it's a nice change. the campaign also gives you several choices in the game that will affect the outcome. this is practically unheard of in FPS games, so kudos to treyarch for mixing it up and bringing something new. each mission also has a series of ten challenges specific to that particular level. some of the challenges are fairly easy, but some are very challenging. and sometimes the only way to complete all the challenges is to replay the mission. the only part of the campaign i don't care for is the strike force missions (but that's probably because i suck at real time strategy games).

multiplayer - ah, the great love-it-or-loathe aspect to all call of duty games. i haven't played any CoD multiplayer since MW2. i got sick of the glitching, camping, obsession with killstreaks, etc. BO2 isn't a drastic departure from the formula, but it's a least an improvement. scorestreaks have replace killsteaks which encourages more team play. smart move. the maps are much improved, in my opinion, from BO1. in fact, there's not a map i don't care for. the sound design is 1000 times better. where in BO1 it sounded like you were shooting pop guns and peashooters (pew pew pew), the guns in BO2 are hefty, beefy and actually have some bass. they sound great. not BFBC2 great, but close enough. i haven't experienced all the freezing on my ps3 that many others have noticed, but the lag is absolutely horrendous. rubberbanding is non-stop, hit detection is often spotty, and with 650,000 people online at any given time, i'm not sure why it can take five or six minutes to get a game started. but, despite it's flaws, it's the most fun i've had on a CoD multiplayer since CoD4.

zombies - again, kudos to treyarch for not resting on their laurels and simply regurgitating past incarnations of this mode. sure, it's still zombies, but in addition to the tradition survival mode, you now have the tranzit mode and griefing mode. i haven't played too many zombie matches (i don't last long anyway when i do), but it's definitely fun and challenging.

combat training - honestly, combat training, for me, was the best part of BO1. sometimes i just want to kick back, practice, own the AI, play with a friend or two and not worry about having to listen to a bunch of hopped up pre-pubsecent, vulgar kids. combat training was the main reason i bought BO2. unfortunately, combat training as we knew it no longer exists. you can still set up bots and play games, but there's not combat training progression. i was really disappointed about that. all the guns and unlocks are available right from the beginning, which isn't a bad thing, but part of the fun of multiplayer and combat training is the ever-present allure of unlocks. on the positive side, all game modes are available in bot games (free for all, team deathmatch, kill confirmed, domination, headquarters, etc). i really wish there were a combat training progression, but you can't win them all.

all in BO2 is without a doubt the best all-around CoD game since CoD4, in my opinion. there's plenty to admire and my hat's off to treyarch for making a concerted effort to try something new. given CoD's popularity they certainly didn't have to do it, but that fact that they did earns my respect. just hire some better writers next time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Treyarch Just Can't Get it Right, March 25, 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops II - PlayStation 3 (Video Game)

I'm referring to online multiplayer. The gameplay is very unsmooth. The lag is very frustrating. There are many times when you come face to face with a guy, but before you can even get your gun up, you are dead. Looking at the kill cam confirms that he actually was a second ahead of you and you popped up on his screen before you saw him on yours. I'm not an idiot, I know that lag is inherent and cannot be taken away completely. However, just comparing MW2 and MW3 lag to the Black Ops series it becomes very glaring that it's way worse. It's baffling to me that with so much time to work on these new editions of the game, that such an important part can still be so bad. If you can't have fair firefights, the whole point of the game is compromised. (If you're wondering my current K/D ratio is 1.78, so I'm pretty decent. That ratio would be a lot better if I didn't have those annoying deaths related to lag)

The bad connections also results in the host frequently getting migrated. I would say this happens at least a third of the time, and it's not always because the host rage-quit. It is because their matchmaking system is broken and doesn't find the best connection, resulting in everybody having a horrible playing experience.

I know this was a very negative review, but I'm actually still playing this game (if you look at my other reviews, I sold the first Black Ops within a week because it was so bad). So it isn't bad enough for me not to play it, and if you're a fan of the franchise, you'll be playing this one too. It's just disappointing that it doesn't meet general standards. I give it two stars because while it is better than the first Black Ops, they've had two years to improve it and it's still not good enough. I'm very much looking forward to the new COD that Treyarch is NOT working on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Campaign, some multiplayer glitches..., November 14, 2012
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops II - PlayStation 3 (Video Game)
Yes, I am still one of the few people who buys and plays for the Campaign mode and think of the multi-player as an add on. So far, I am about 6 hours into the campaign and believe I am almost done with it. One word to describe it: "Amazing"
Not only is this the best story in any COD game I have ever played, (This one is my 5th), Treyarch actually added new features to the gameplay. Now, more than ever, decisions I made influenced things like who died and the story outcome . There is also a new mode, which lets you control battles from a third person perspective. You can switch to any character's first person perspective or drone in battle, if you like and think your army is not preforming well, using your own skills to help the team.

Zombies is also back and better than MW3's. There is a new "mini" adventure mode, in which you and others try to uncover secrets about the place ur exploring, pretty fun, but you always end up dying, as there is no end to this "adventure mode" You can also fight off waves of Zombies like the other games, but to me, zombie's was not really why I bought this game and gets old after a while.

Multiplayer is why a lot of you bought this game, and rightfully so. This time, multiplayer introduces features like the new 10 point system, letting you pick from a selection of weapon "grades" But also with this, are the glitches activation brings to every game. Match making is really bad. It took 10 minutes for every game I have played so far to be found and connected, which is way too long when you only have an hour to play. I'm sure activison will release patches in the near future to fix this, but for now, its pretty unacceptable. So far, I'm only level 31, but from what I've played. the spawning is terrible. It doesn't matter which map I play, two seconds after I spawn, a camper decides to screw me over, it gets annoying, and I hope Activision fixes this as well.

Truth be told, I would be playing right now if I were at home, and if MIT's professors weren't so boring, I probably would not be writing a review while my teacher is talking about the molecular levels of hydrogen. (Sorry, back to the point)...
Overall, this is a fantastic game other than some multiplayer issues which can easily be fixed. 9.1/10

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy it on day...90, November 15, 2012
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops II - PlayStation 3 (Video Game)
Buy this in few weeks and it will be fine. It's buggy and online is just a mess for PS3. CoD games get frequent updates and I'm sure they will have this sorted out in a couple weeks. So if you can avoid freaking out and melting down, read on.

1) If you gave this one star, you probably shouldn't have bought it (or didn't and are trolling). It is exactly what you expect from any CoD game.

2) The PS3 version online is jacked up in the first couple day. THIS IS NOTHING NEW FOR CoD OR ANY OTHER FPS. It is simply a continuing tradition of shooters not working right on release. A couple weeks from now, things will smooth out and the game will work fine.

3) Zombie mode is bigger and better. It is really fun and a great co-op mode. It's still not Left4Dead, but it does offer some replay and something for people that don't like being cursed at by ignorant people online.

4) The campaign has MORE to offer than any of the recent CoD's. I still don't like it, but I never have.

5) When online works, the game is okay. It's super fast, twitchy and the guns all feel "samey", it's more rock paper scissors and online connection speed than my gun is stronger than yours (not including shotguns/snipers). Killstreaks have been dialed way back, so that's a plus or minus depending on your take. I'm just getting into league play, but it's interesting for people that enjoy playing right and work as a team. The perks and unlocks have been changed, but it's still the same fomula. Perform missions, get kills, get XP and unlock things; it's in a new wrapper though.

All in all, it's a CoD game. It's not the worst game ever and even though there are bugs on release, the campaign is super high quality, zombie mode is terrific and with the addtion of league play, online could have some legs for people like me that would rather play with a team that works together instead of a bunch of boosters and corner campers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Would have been acceptable, but no where near close, November 14, 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
PS3 Version:

By now we all know that new CODs are the same thing with different weapons and different maps, give or take. NOT this one. The multi-player feels VERY similar to that of Battlefield, only a generic version of it. And you could definitely tell. The pistols are currently overpowered and occasionally, there tends to be small glitches when you die where you'll go through a wall and down to who knows where.

BIGGEST ISSUE OF ALL IS THE FREEZING.
I NEVER had an issue with my Ps3 freezing, now if I try to view my combat record, change an emblem, open a class, or do something new that required a bit of loading, my entire PS3 just freezes. It is not just me, you can hear many people complain about it throughout the server. FURTHERMORE, the server gets stuck with "Need more players to balance team" even with a full lobby. Sometimes, it'll work when someone gets frustrated and leaves.

If you're considering buying this, don't. Not until Treyarch fixes these issues.

If someone from Treyarch is reading this, know that you FAILED big time here. Honestly I feel like we deserve an apology for your team not fixing these issues before releasing them. I will admit that I will continue to play it simply cause my dumb self already put out the $60 bucks for this game. Thanks for nothing Treyarch!

11/20/2012 UPDATE

It has been a couple of days since my previous review. I force myself to play it because I want to like this game, considering I put out the $60. I sit, TRYING to like it, but I can't.

1) THE FREEZING STILL CONTINUES. It is hard to enjoy a game that freezes randomly in a menu. You get stuck anywhere from 5-10 minutes as the PS3 restores and does an error check. Yay!

2) If you make it to actual gameplay (as it loves to randomly freeze before the loading bar is full) you will find yourself annoyed by the amount of times you will be spawned in front of an enemy. Spawn camping is pretty easy to do on here, considering the huge amount of windows and high ground available. In one game, I was literally spawned about a meter away from a bouncing betty, and killed within seconds of spawning.

3) The shotgun is an amazing gun in this game. My favorite actually. However, occasionally, I find myself having to shot a person 3 times, point blank, to get a kill. Not quite sure how a point blank hit, dead center, with a shotgun, doesn't get you an immediate kill. I'm fairly confident on my accuracy, so I highly doubt it's an accuracy issue.

4) There is also this weird thing that I can't quite figure out. Sometimes while trying to join a friend's party, it says something about them needing to restart their playlists in order for you to join because your playlist is newer than theirs. On a couple of occasions I wasn't able to join parties because of this. I'm still trying to figure this out, but in the meantime, I'd like to point out that this shouldn't have been an issue in the first place.

5) They closed down the Nuketown lobby. That sucks. I was expecting that to be a perk of pre-ordering the game. Guess not.

2/22/13
I went back to play this game after a while without playing it and they seem to have fixed the freezing! Yippee!! Now, why do I leave it as a rating of 1 star then?! I'll feed you baby birds! The game still freezes on Zombies. There is nothing more annoying than having your console freeze while being chased by a pack of zombies on level 31. Trust me, it will piss you off like never before. Doesn't happen always, but has happened enough times to be a burden. For those of you about to tell me it is my slow internet, I'm running on 65 Mbps. It isn't the fastest, but it is good enough to not be a problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbalanced weapons, multiple connection problems., March 17, 2013
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops II - PlayStation 3 (Video Game)
This is the worst COD game I have ever played before. There are to many over powered and under powered weapons. Always having connection issues.

1.0 out of 5 stars it crashed my PS3. can not run games or BR movies, December 10, 2012
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops II - PlayStation 3 (Video Game)
paid about $50 for the game and got $200 worth of problems.
troubleshooting the problem i lost all data and saved games.
have to send PS3 for repairs, but feel i should not have to pay for it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Eh, same game, different year, February 25, 2013
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops II - PlayStation 3 (Video Game)
I've been playing COD since Call of Duty 2. I can honestly say that this seris has lost it's way since Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. They continue to put out rehash after rehash of the same game, but never fix the games true issues (Multi-player Lag, Hackers, and gun power)

As for this game, the graphics are the worst in the series. I mean absolute worst. I'm almost 100% sure that the graphics match that of the PS2. However, there are some pretty innovative items in the game compared to previous versions that make it worth playing.

As for multiplayer online, it's the same issues as always. Lag, Lag, Lag, Oh a Hackers, Lag, oh more Hackers...It's losing it's gusto

2.0 out of 5 stars A poor game, January 6, 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops II - PlayStation 3 (Video Game)
I thought the potential for this game could have been much better. It seems as if the people who made this game were rushed and just needed to make some quick bucks. The lag on this game is terrible (even in offline mode) and the zombies is not good either. Their are barley any guns in the map and it is very hard to figure out what to do as beginner. What a shame.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Soon?, November 19, 2012
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops II - PlayStation 3 (Video Game)
Money is at the forefront of everything these days. Quality suffers and you end up with the same old tune played out over and over. Some of us are in love with the tune however what you expect and what you get as a follow up more time than not usually arrives with disappointment. The pressure is on for companies to give a new product and quickly. Even if it means that the said product is just a heavily marketed and nicely packaged waste of money and an insult to the customers that buy it.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II - PlayStation 3
Call of Duty: Black Ops II - PlayStation 3 by Activision Inc. (PlayStation 3)
$59.99 $44.88