4.0 out of 5 stars Does Call of Duty: Black Ops Live up to the Hype???
First off, I want to point out that I was hesitant to buy this game because personally I thought World at War was not all that great.

Published on November 9, 2010 by Anthony Q. Thames

3.0 out of 5 stars Black Ops
This is a decent game. If you are expecting MW2 type of play this is not exactly it. The graphics are not as good but decent. The maps in general are larger and have more open buildings. This does unfortunately lead to more camping/hiding. If you are into the franchise it deserves a look. If you want MW2, again, this is not it.
Published on November 10, 2010 by DBO

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Does Call of Duty: Black Ops Live up to the Hype???, November 9, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops with Laser Cel - Xbox 360 (Video Game)

I started of playing the campaign and I have to say that it definitely had the best story line out of the franchise (Next to COD 4). The campaign had everything a FPS fan would like to see in a game. This is the best part of the whole game in my opinion.

Then I started working on multi-player. I saw all these videos how how much customization can be done so I was ready for something new and different. As I started playing online, I noticed that a lot of customization isn't unlocked until around 25-30 level. I personally find those levels a bit high just for customization but whatever. Then I finally unlocked them and realized is it really that important to be able to customize your items? To me not really but to others probably.

I like the fact that the kill streaks are all earned by kills and cannot be gained through the use of other kill streaks. Also, I like the fact that level 50 is the prestige level but I do not like 15 prestige levels instead of 10. I barely had enough time to get to 6th prestige as it is on MW2.

A downside (which is hard to fix) is that the levels are created so nice but there are too many nooks and cranny's for players to get into and sit there. Now I am not complaining because it is part of the game but it is just something that irritates me.
The levels after awhile seem to get a bit old, even after a couple of hours. Don't get me wrong the maps are well designed but I don't feel the appealing factor as MW2 and COD 4 had in their maps.

As for Nazi zombies, I never really got into that when World of War came out and probably won't be much into it now.

Overall, Black Ops is a must buy for hardcore COD fans. You won't be disappointed but you might find yourself reaching for MW2 or COD 4 every once in awhile to get away from some the repetitiveness Black Ops multi player brings.

4.0 out of 5 stars No MW2 but enjoyable, November 12, 2010
Aging Gamer "MJimenez05" (West Haven, Connecticut) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I preordered this game about 3 months ago and I was like a little kid at Christmas when the UPS truck showed up at my door at 8:45 pm on release date. I hurried my 8 year old to bed and then fired up the XBOX 360. The screen exploded with a kind of LSD induced pychodelia and the game was underway..You are an operative named Mason who is a prisoner in some sort of government lair. You are being interogated about a mission or several missions you were on. I won't give away anymore but I will tell you that the beginning of the game has to do with a well known dictator of a Carribean nation. I am also impressed by the multiplayer sections..there are several styles to choose from. There is also a training mode with realistic and intelligent bots..the names are straight out of your friends list too. There is also a point system that allows you to purchase upgrades and different weapons so you don't have to wait until level 67 to get the AK 47. I am truly enjoying this game and I am sure you will too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets rid of MW2 annoyances, December 18, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Great game really enjoy it no stopping power no danger close no commando no nuke no quick scoping add zombies and you have yourself black ops

5.0 out of 5 stars mw3, December 15, 2010
S. Ryan (OMAHA, NE, US) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game is fun to play either in combat training or campaign . The zombies mode is more chaotic then World at war's version and some hidden secrets . I ran into a ton of little kids i guess this needs a higher rating than Mature cause the day i sign on and played my entire team was a bunch of little kids and i did not know this was for little kids ( irresposible Parents ) and i quit the match and played zombies . I think over all from the Zombies , to the Multiplayer this is worth the 60$ .

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game, like the MW games better, August 10, 2011
C. Vieira (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game is more of what you expect from a COD game. Linear gameplay with strategic points of dramatization and pretty fun action sequences. You get some pretty awesome guns and use some fun weapons of mass destruction, but I found this game to be overall lacking to the rest MW games. The plot was predictable and I just didn't find myself empathizing with the story. With the MW games I've gone back and played the campaign at least 1 more time. I have no desire to play this campaign again.

Where this game shines is the multiplayer. First of all, let me get my biggest issue out of the way - Activision's servers suck. Games drop frequently, I'm not a fan of the programming that is used to designate hosts, and sometimes games are very one-sided. BUT, I do love playing the games. The leveling system is great and there is certainly motivation to prestige multiple times. The are also some really Wager matches to change it up from core multiplayer matches (my favorite is "Sticks & Stones").

All-in-all, I give this game a 4-out-of-5 stars just because I think the campaign is a little lacking compared to past games, but if all you want is a fun multiplayer game this is definitely worth the investment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Black Ops, November 10, 2010

2.0 out of 5 stars More isn't always better., December 7, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Where to begin? Let's start with the story. Convoluted. The graphics? Unimpressive, textures take forever to load and only do so as you walk through the environment leaving you to look at a rather flat-colored surrounding. The multiplayer? Filled with okay ideas and mediocre physics. This game is literally a hit and miss, even when I have 4 bars of connectivity I would still have latency (lag) issues. And there are numerous times where I would have an enemy dead center in my cross-hairs but when I shoot nothing happens, no hit markers, nothing. And then what happens? He whip turns and kills me instantly. No fun. I would understand if it happened once or twice every other day but this happens once or twice every match. Another HUGE point is about the spawning, it is AWFUL. I feel that they tried to make the spawning auto flank your opponent by spotting you in an area roughly behind your enemy, but I find myself constantly popping up at the muzzle of a gun. It is a super frustrating thing. I will say this, I'm not a huge fan of Treyarch developed games. The only reason this and WaW are playable, is because they are running a slightly modified COD 4 physics engine. Yes there are a TON of things included in this title, like Nazi zombies and the hidden mini games at the menu and the training mode with bots and the 3D and Kinect capabilities. BUT it is still hiding a game, that at its core, is still mediocre. Compare it to Modern Warfare 2 and it falls flat. Yes, there are a lot of things unbalanced in MW2, HOWEVER, that game runs like a top. If your sights are on a still target you WILL hit them. If they are moving and you 'lead' them, you WILL hit them. Black Ops is only like that when the latency is nill. Do I play this game? Yes, only because my friends are playing it and most of them foolishly traded in old games (like Modern Warfare 2) to purchase this one. Do I have fun while playing this game? Sure, but only if I'm playing with my friends. I'm rarely playing this game alone. I'd say that I don't usually enjoy this game but tolerate it. I feel that in the end Treyarch didn't really bring anything innovative to the table, it was just more of the same with slight tweaks here and there. Would I recommend this product? No, wait for the next Call of Duty which will be developed by Sledgehammer games.

4.0 out of 5 stars Story Brings its A Game, but Some Issues too, November 17, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I find it a waste of time to argue between which developer in the CoD series is better, Infinity Ward or Treyarch. I find that they both bring solid contributions to the series, but since so many people look at the games through that lens, I will put it this way:

Treyarch's Black Ops has a story that blows Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare 2 out of the water. Modern Warfare 2's action and AI blows Black Ops' action and AI out of the water.

I enjoyed Black Ops' story and it gave a realistic feel to the time period. MW2's story was a mess, but the action was so great many people didn't care. The AI in MW2 was servicable, but in Black Ops I found what IGN said in their review to be true - stupid AI that runs right past your friendly AI and attacks you. Whack-a-mole acts behind cover where you just wait and pop them in the face when they show themselves. At some points, there are unlimited spawn points of enemies that will no doubt send people into fits trying to complete the game on Veteran.

PARENTS: While Modern Warfare 2's gore factor was downplayed to help parents justify buying a game Rated M for their 12 year old sons...I can't recommend or see a justification for buying Black Ops for anyone below 16 years of age. Just like World at War, Black Ops shows a much more grisly side of war violence than the Modern Warfare installments. Modern Warfare 1 and 2 had suicide and a nuke. In Black Ops, you see surrendered soldiers get executed - their faces fly off in pieces and you can get a good look at the hole in their head. When you attempt to rescue someone, you see a bullet go through his head, the bullet and his brains exiting in slow motion from the other side of his skull. You see nerve gas used on soldiers, their bodies shriveling up and skin practically melting like the Nazi leader in Raiders of the Lost Ark (only better graphics.) You cut soldiers' throats and use hooked melee knives to carve into soldiers' necks from behind (and it shows it.)

In short, the M for Mature on Black Ops is FAR more warranted than the M on Modern Warfare 2. If you are a parent and have a young child asking for it, take it from a guy who has 4 kids (ages 7, 10, 13 and 15) - it's grisly and shouldn't be bought for anyone below 16.

Overall, I give it an 8/10 rating. If the zombie mode and ability to have a friend play multiplayer with you weren't there, it'd get a 7/10. Not the best overall game, but a good showing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh., December 1, 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I usually spend a great deal of time to write a review of a game, but this was such a let down, I won't bother. I got it and tried out the campaign, only to encounter a glitch on the first level that stopped me from progressing. I didn't know I had the glitch until after an hour of playing, and then I had to start over. When I started over I ran into a completely different glitch in the same level and couldn't progress again. Frustrated, I turned to the online multiplayer aspect of the game (which the game says is "included for free with CoD: BO" hint, hint) only to find the worst lag in any multiplayer game I've ever played. Ever. And I used to play on dial up 28.8Kbps connections. The graphics are muddy and definitely not up to 360 par, but I have noticed if you sit in one spot AND DON'T MOVE for 20 seconds or so, the textures start to load and it looks a little better. The sound doesn't bother me, but apparently there's a problem with online multiplayer because you can't hear other people's footsteps anymore. The controls are exactly what you'd expect from a CoD game, which is the most solid part of this game. I'm very disappointed in this purchase, but I'd imagine nobody cares. Treyarch / Activision / Infinity Ward will release another CoD game in a year and it will sell millions of copies all over again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice evolution, beautiful graphics, better control, new features cool, November 9, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
The evolution of the game is pretty good. The campaign is still easy and short for players who are used to COD... but i like the story (Alex Mason ;)

Gameplay: pretty much the same. thank you for the "dive to prone" new feature

the dynamic destruction is beautiful. (I have a full HD 1080p 42" TV)

Multiplayer: COD points to buy new stuffs.
Wager Matches is nice at the beginning. I don't know how i will feel about it next year.
It's still COD as we knew it.

I didn't try the zombie mode yet...

I've been waiting for the game for a while. It's still an amazing game, i like it. Not a revolution after Modern Warfare 2 (where i saw a much bigger difference)

I didn't do 100% of the game yet. Lots of modes and lots of things to unlock, so i'll try to update.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›